General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing Paul Bunyan tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-07 10:29 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Anyone doing Paul Bunyan tri?
I'm signed up for the new long course - 1mi/20mi/5mi.

2009-07-07 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2267330

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Anyone doing Paul Bunyan tri?

I did the swim portion in a relay last year.  Not planning on the race this year, though.

2009-07-07 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2267360

User image

Regular
How did you like the lake?  Did you get feedback from your relay mates on the course?
2009-07-07 11:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MN.
I'm signed up for the short. I did it a few years back and the course is nice. Decent lake, it was a little murky, Bike was small rolling hills, though pretty flat follows the lakeshore homes some. run is along by the college fairly flat. Not a bad venue, though the RD was a little unprepared but it was only their second year when I did it. Now long course could be a lot different though.
2009-07-07 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2267387

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN

rhvonlehe - 2009-07-07 10:41 AM How did you like the lake?  Did you get feedback from your relay mates on the course?

Honestly, I don't remember much.  I think the lake description above is accurate.  Aside from the race, that whole weekend was a disaster with a car that died out in the middle of nowhere, so I really don't remember much about the race itself.

2009-07-07 4:33 PM

User image

New user

St. Paul

I did the run portion on paddle2paddle's relay team -- it's an out and back run along a path/sidewalk, mostly residential area.  Pretty flat except for a hill at the very beginning (uphill on the way out/downhill on the way back).  I think the run was listed as being 3 miles but I doubt it was even that far, or else I was running pretty fast on little sleep and no food. 

I thought it was a fun little race.  Small, laid back, pretty location.  I would do it again -  hopefully under better circumstances than being stranded in Bemidji without a functional car

2009-07-08 3:42 PM

User image

Regular
Sorry to stir up some painful memories with this thread Tongue out

Thanks for the replies, though!
2009-07-09 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
I've done the race every year. I am signed up this year, but I am not sure that I will attend.

The race has become better each year, but still lacks adequate numbers of volunteers. Beautiful venue, nice course, clean lake. Know the bike course and pre-drive it.

Best of luck.
2009-07-26 10:32 PM

User image

Regular
Did the race - felt like I did well.  But I've got to say I'm confused with the results.  (For instance a couple people swimming a mile in 15 minutes - ha!)  Awards given out don't match online results, etc.  It felt like Randy had a pressing need to get out of the park when going through the awards.  Very rushed.

Things I liked about P.B. and the long course specifically:

Nice lake - clean (Lake actually part of Mississippi river)
Plenty of parking, nice park
Laid back (except the very end)
Bike course was nice, smooth roads and not difficult to navigate
If you've never medaled in a race, you have a great shot at this one.  A few divisions had no entries or only one or two places.

Things I didn't like:

Numerous problems with results
Results don't reflect real distances for bike and run. 
Advertised distances for bike and run do not match results distances.
Overall place changed by several positions from end of race to results posted online.  How can this happen when all longs started in the same wave?  The order you come in is the order you place.
Awards were rushed
A small set of stairs in the middle of the long course run
Everybody is lined up ready for the gun to go off to start the first wave and Randy says "Ok, it'll be about 5 minutes"
Randy said he would not start the 2nd wave until the majority of long course swimmers had started their second lap.  That didn't happen.  Not that I mind, but why say you're going to do that and then not do it?

This is the first race I've felt truly underwhelmed by Vacation Sports.  I've been doing a fair number of theirs due to the low entry fees and getting an occasional free entry for volunteering.  I might have to do some other races next year.  Unfortunately for me, Vacation Sports has all of the races with a clydesdale division.
2009-07-27 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MN.
I did the race along with my son, he was the young 13 year old out there, he did quite well. Anyway it was the usual vacation sports event. Although they are nice guys, they just seem to have way too much on their plate to dot all the I's and cross all of the T's. My question is where are the online results? I haven't been able to find them.
2009-07-27 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2310485

User image

Regular
They are only at vacationsports.com right now.  Here's the link to the short and long course results:
http://vacationsports.com/pbsresults09.txt

http://vacationsports.com/pblresults09.txt

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing Paul Bunyan tri? Rss Feed