General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Sup? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-08-29 7:46 AM

Dublin, Ireland
Subject: Sup?
Hows it goin? I am new to this (So new I have not even started yet) but I am starting training on Monday. I have downloaded a Tri Training program from the web and that should get me started. Main reason for starting this is to get lean and also to shape up before the big 30 next year. I am currently about 28lb overweight after a few years of body building and a lot of beer and food.

I used to run 15k a day 6 days a week and also weight trained for 2 hours 6 days a week. Diet was not an issue. Now it is.

I am 6 foot and 210lbs.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2003-08-29 8:17 AM
in reply to: #583

Dublin, Ireland
Subject: RE: Sup?
First reply and to my own post!

Anyway I just have been reading a few of the other posts and want to say fair play to ya all. Your sound. (Imagine Collin farrell saying it and you will know how I speak).

Just a few questions:
1. I plan to do the London Tri next Aug. Is this 2 far away? I am not fit.
2. I have no bike. Is the gym sufficent or is a bike enevitable?
3. Should I look for coaching in swimming as my tech is slightly bastardised? (did you see how people swam away in Jaws. Thats me like a combine harvestor in the water)
4. I plan to do weight training with the Tri. Good or Bad idea?
5. As I said in my first post I did run 15k a day before(7.5 to work and 7.5 home 8 hours later) To be compeditive on an amature basis would kind of training would I need to do approcing the race? (or is that a how big is a hole question?)

Thankin you in advance.

Baz
2003-08-29 8:59 AM
in reply to: #584

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: sup dude.

hilarious.  i have never ever tried to imagined a harvestor in the water but now it seems all so vivid (and very turbulent).

by next aug u should be ready for an olympic length tri.  definitely have a bike by march '04 - no substitute for the road.  try watching and learning from other people for the swim if u know, at least, how the mechanics should be.  see if u improve.  if not, a little instruction will help a lot.  go for the weight training - easy on the squats and other leg work - though still important.  how long is the london tri? 

2003-09-01 12:50 AM
in reply to: #585

Dublin, Ireland
Subject: RE: sup dude.
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. Information seems to be thin on the ground here in Ireland.

As far as I know it is a full Olympic tri. (Do they differ in length)?

I watched the Dublin Triathlon on Saturday and it gave me an idea of the fitness required to compete.

I also saw a moving item on the news about a woman from the UK who has cancer in 6 parts of her body completing a half Iron Man. It really inspired me to raise the bar and like you said maybe try to do an Iron Man. (Eventually after a lot of training)

I plan to do 6 days week training for 2 hours a day (That’s the most I have due to family obligations) and this also will include my weight training. Definition being the object rather than size.

Where about are you based and what Triathlons do you take part in the US? I might take a vacation over there next year. I would love to do a Tri or Ironman in an exotic location next year. Can you recommend anywhere?

Thanks again mate

2003-09-01 5:52 AM
in reply to: #611

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: exotic..here?

but we don't have REAL Guiness here....just the american-watered-down-version.  how about we trade places for a year?  Personally, i am in akron ohio.  not that exotic BUT i am near the great lakes...several tris are swam there and it is beautiful.  there r quite a lot of tris in ohio.  i swam my first in a awesome resevoir in a park.  a lot of others r held in the portage lakes near me.

anyways, sounds like u have plenty of time to train.  let us know on any ?'s or workout scheduling.

ps...when your ironman - do lake placid.

2003-09-03 4:17 PM

Regular
Springfield, Ohio
Subject: RE: Competitive
How big is a hole? How competive do you want to be? My goal was to finish. In the back of my mind, I wanted to be competitive. My training was for three months prior to my first race on 8/28 (see race report forum "Today is the day"). I didn't knock myself out training, but I did lose 10 pounds (208 to 198, or is that about "10 stone" over there?). My competition was within myself and the clock. In that sense, I won.
I didn't incorporate any weight training in as I was most concerned about my aerobic level of fitness. Over the fall and winter, I will be adding the weights back in.
Enjoy the process.
Neil

2003-09-04 1:21 AM

Dublin, Ireland
2003-09-04 1:37 AM
in reply to: #646

Dublin, Ireland
Thanks for the advice. My reasons for doing a tri is for myself and I see it as a life changing experience. At the moment I also just want to finish. The best way for me is to aim high and that way not finishing is not an option. I feel slugish and heavy at the mo and my fitness is woeful. I was wrecked after an hour of Gym training the other day so I have a long way to go before I would even be able to finish.

I am looking forward to the challange and in the process I want to lose 42lbs. I know that sounds a lot but it is the weight I was happiest at. My target weight is 175lbs. At that weight I would have a very good body fat
percentage or BMI as guys call it over there.

2003-09-04 6:12 AM

Augusta, GA
In your second post you mentioned your "bastardized" swimming technique. You think you've got issues...how 'bout this...

I swim almost everyday...and I'm terrified of water...especially open water. (I also wade fish out in the Atlantic with the sharks and stingrays and in fresh water with the alligators...but it scares me to death). I hate putting my face in the water, but I love swimming underwater. My freestyle swim always looks screwy because I hate sticking my face in the water and I don't like to wear goggles because they make me claustrophobic.

I'm a slow runner because (as my best-friend's mom used to say) "I was built for love, not for speed". And I, too, haven't purchased a bike yet. But, come hell or high water I'm going to do a triathlon next Spring.

Oh, and I'm working on the face-in-the-water thing.

Good luck to you. I need to lose weight, too...hopefully this will help.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Sup? Rss Feed