General Discussion Triathlon Talk » traininng Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-12 9:44 PM

Subject: traininng
Having such a problem with training for the swim part of tri.  Was able to swim the laps needed for the sprint tri a couple of weeks ago, went on vacation and now I can only do half.  Why?  I have 5 weeks and am panicking.  Help!

2009-07-12 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2280022

User image

Subject: RE: traininng
I wouldn't panic. Five weeks should be plenty of time to get back on track. I had a nearly three week interruption in my training schedule 6 weeks prior to my first tri. I was able to pull it together in the last couple of weeks. I called it "tapering early"(tic) Just get in the pool as much as you can and you'll get back on track.

Lou
2009-07-12 10:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas
Swimming is a lot of muscle memory, to me. It forgets the first time back after a break but then it remembers. You'll be fine. It happens to me, too.
2009-07-13 3:48 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
For my first tri, I hadn't swum competitively since ninth grade. Let's just say that was more than awhile ago, and I was in the bottom half of the slowest lane then.

I had two months before my tri. The pool closed one month before my tri. I live in NH, no OWS that early. So, I had one month to prep.

I went to the women's swim coach and begged for some tips. Got 'em, wrote 'em ALL down, and did nothing but drills for the next three weeks. NOTHING BUT DRILLS. Swam one OWS the week before my tri.

Came in top 5% overall women.

So my suggestion: do drills. Get your muscle memory down. Once your muscles know exacly what they are supposed to do, you'll be fine. Save the panic for the run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » traininng Rss Feed