General Discussion Triathlon Talk » small healthy meals? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-16 11:05 AM

User image

Subject: small healthy meals?
I know everyone has their own methods when it comes to the diet but the majority of what I hear advocates small healthy meals throughout the day. However most of the reading available stops at small healthy meals and they give no further guidance. Nutrition is one of the last obstacles in my training and I am getting frustrated by my own inconsistancy in my diet.
 1. How many calories should a small healthy meal contain?
 2. Should each meal be as perfectly balanced (carb/protein/fat), or should you mix them in seperatly over the seveal meals?
 3. Should you cut the calories for each meal if you are cutting body weight?
 4. Does a fiber1 bar count as a small meal?
 5. should 1 or more of those meals be a salad? everyday?

2009-07-16 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2289411

User image

New user
Subject: RE: small healthy meals?
jdfrog - 2009-07-16 9:05 AM I know everyone has their own methods when it comes to the diet but the majority of what I hear advocates small healthy meals throughout the day. However most of the reading available stops at small healthy meals and they give no further guidance. Nutrition is one of the last obstacles in my training and I am getting frustrated by my own inconsistancy in my diet.
 1. How many calories should a small healthy meal contain?
 2. Should each meal be as perfectly balanced (carb/protein/fat), or should you mix them in seperatly over the seveal meals?
 3. Should you cut the calories for each meal if you are cutting body weight?
 4. Does a fiber1 bar count as a small meal?
 5. should 1 or more of those meals be a salad? everyday?

1. Depends on how many calories you want to consume for that day.  Some people like to get roughly the same amount of calories per meal, others still eat three larger meals (breakfast lunch dinner) with smaller meals in between.
2. I mix it up to fit my workout schedule.  I usually eat something dense in protein when I wake up.  Something rich with carbs post aerobic workout. And something rich with fat/proteins post anaerobic workouts.
3. As long as you create a defeceit in kcals in vs. kcals out you'll lose weight.
4. Not really sure about fiber bars since i don't eat them. but say you want 1800 kcals daily and you're eating six meals, you get roughly 300 kcals permeal so mabey that bar, plus some nuts and fruit would be good.
5. Again this is preferance, a meal doesn't HAVE to be salad unless you want it to be.  Nutrition shouldn't be about rules and regulations.  Just try to eat whole foods, and 5 to 6 small meals a day.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » small healthy meals? Rss Feed