United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 97/110?
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

What can I say about this race? 2 years ago, it was the first time in my life that I pinned on a race bib... I finished in 1:02:42 and took a default 3rd place in my AG... so, this year, I thought Maybe I could BEAT my time on the course, but it wasn't meant to be...

I met 3 people in town to carpool to the mountain with... It would be my friend Chris' first race ever... He's been running for years, but never got into racing... I like to think I motivated him to race... he's training for his first FULL, so he thought he'd come out to do this race... the other 2 in the car I had never met...

We drove UP, UP, UP the mountain to about 8600' elevation, then parked the car and took a shuttle van back down the hill 4 miles to the start at 7600'... yep... this was gonna be a 4 mile up-hill race with 1000' climb... the only 'good' part about the race is it's nice weather... 60* to start instead of the usual 110* weather we've been having in town.
Event warmup:

So I did a little warm-up, they called us to the start-line, and we were off... I knew the elevation bothered me from the race 2 years ago, and from the marathon that I had ran... but knowing it, and experiencing it are 2 different things... I couldn't MOVE!!!
Run
  • 1h 07m 24s
  • 4 miles
  • 16m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile 1: The first mile was a horrid 14:46... knowing it would just get steeper, I was a bit concerned, but I kept going... I was doing a run/walk... someone in a car pulled up and said they were driving up to the pack, I had no car support... I asked if anyone was behind me, he said yes, one woman... I kept going...

Mile 2: just before the 2nd mile marker, SHIN SPLINTS...WTF??? I thought they were gone!!! I thought about quitting... I thought about sitting on the ground and crying... I knew someone would give me a ride... but I kept on going... when I got to the 2nd mile marker, the clock read 31:xx... I knew my 1:02 was gone...

Mile 3: I walked the WHOLE 3rd mile... by the end of the 3rd mile, my shins were feeling better, and I figure I needed to salvage what I could of this race...the car kept coming to check up on me, and I kept asking if that woman was still behind me.. he assured me that she was.... he was feeding me gatorade too... what a nice man!

Mile 4: back to run/walk... could I actually catch up to the girl in front of me? I had been chasing her the whole way... I finally caught her when we could see the finish line... she was YOUNG...barely a teenager... she of course took off and beat me by a few seconds... then I reached the clock... 1:07:24??? I finished! It was AWFUL, but I finished!!!

The woman that was behind me came in at 1:11 something, I ran her in and thanked her for coming out! They took her picture for the newsletter, and she got all the applause... hey, no fair Actually, she was awesome!!!
What would you do differently?:

train more in elevation
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

the elevation was killer!

Event comments:

I don't know how my time could be so far off... it's not like bunches of us finished at the same time... they had over 4 minutes to record my time before the last lady came in...

Last updated: 2009-06-30 12:00 AM
Running
01:07:24 | 04 miles | 16m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 97/110?
Performance: Bad
Course: Course was 4 miles all uphill in the mountains
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-18 2:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
Subject: Notch Run

2009-07-18 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2293493

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: Notch Run
Wow!  Tough race Diane but congrats on finishing and the hardware!!!
2009-07-21 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2293493

Uxbridge
Subject: RE: Notch Run
Nice way to tough it out Dianne!!!! I would not even sign up for a race with that kind of climb.Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Notch Run Rss Feed