General Discussion Race Reports! » Carls Family YMCA Happy Trails Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Carls Family YMCA Happy Trails Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milford, Michigan
United States
Carls Family YMCA
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 27s
Overall Rank = 51/183
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/19
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 3 and tossed and turned till I got up at 6. Made sure to drink a couple of cups of coffee this time and had a small bowl of oatmeal and a glass of O2. Took off for the race at 7.
Event warmup:

None really. Should have left a bit earlier cuz I didn't really have time to do any stretching before hand.
Swim
  • 20m 59s
  • 796 yards
  • 02m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

They claimed the temp was 81, but I highly doubt that. Maybe right at the edge of the lake, but certainly not further out than 5'. I thought the course layout was a bit confusing - the final turn bouy was a small one for some reason and people didn't think that it was part of the course - seems to me they would have had it be a big one - everyone was questioning where we were supposed to swim to. The start out was deep water which wasn't so bad but didn't really have a chance to position ourselves since they didn't let us in the water until about 60 seconds before the gun.

The first turn bouy was weird. I kept sighting and seeing guys torsos sticking out of the water, wondering what the hell, till my hand hit the bottom of the lake and I realized everyone was standing up. I didn't much care for that - would have rather swam - too hard on the legs trying to run in the water, but was hard swimming with it being that shallow.
What would you do differently?:

Wasn't prepared to swim without the wet suit. Since this was my first time racing without it, I just focused on sighting, staying loose, keeping a somewhat steady pace, and thinking of the Greyhound recovery drink I'd be having when this was all over.

Next time I'll try to bilateral breath more. I lose so much time when not wearing the wet suit (lose 20-30 seconds from my normal pace) that I need to try to get it back by breathing less - maybe not breathing at all would help!
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

I always put my socks and shoes on in T1. I don't care to ride without socks and figure whether I put them on here or in T2 makes no diff (I definitely can't run without socks) and I'm not sure I'd really save much time by trying to have my shoes already in the clips and trying to jump on. I'm pretty good at being able to get clipped in right away.

Nothing
Bike
  • 40m 36s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.37 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is definitely my strong point and good thing too since my swim is so flipping slow. Was hoping to hit an avg of 19mph, but it was just not to be. I was pretty winded coming out of T1 and towards the end I decided to save my legs a bit for the run.

Not sure I'd do anything different. Was a pretty decent ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

I don't try to take my feet out of the shoes, I just unclip my left, come to a stop and unclip my right, jump off and run. Not sure I'd really save much time trying to do the flying thing. I did take a few seconds after putting my shoes on to stretch my quads - they were pretty tight from the ride. Also took a big swig of GE, then took off.
Run
  • 26m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Was a better run than I thought. I never got to the point where I was real comfortable - I kept trying to push the pace thinking that I was going slow. Felt like I was at about a 9-9:30 pace - was really surprised that I did 8:29. This run also felt really long - thought it would never end.

Start at a faster pace right away. I've found that my overall pace is usually dictated by how fast I start. Its really hard for me to pick up the pace after I've been running for awhile. It seems to be a lot easier to keep a pace going.
Post race
Warm down:

Bottle of water and a hug from Trish then on to a very tasty recovery drink from the Greyhounds.

Event comments:

From what I'd heard, 3D races are all disorganized and have lots of problems. I'd have to say, though, that overall this one was pretty good. There were lots of volunteers and they had lots of drink stations, which was nice. The only thing that I think could have been improved was to have a pre-race meeting a lot sooner than just before we're about to go into the water. Also, they need to have maps of the course up for people to look at. There was mass confusion over the swim course that could have been easily fixed just by putting up a map.

Last updated: 2009-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:59 | 796 yards | 02m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/19
Overall: 136/183
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: A confusing triangle. Everyone was asking where we were supposed to go - they didn't do a very good job of explaining it during the meeting and there was no course map on their web site.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:36 | 12.43 miles | 18.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 25/183
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Road is smooth for part of the race, but a lot of it is pretty choppy, especially the section by Martindale beach. Plus some of the downhills are bad - the surface of the road is rippled so makes for an interesting ride!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:22 | 03.11 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/19
Overall: 72/183
Performance: Good
Course: Part trail run, part asphalt surface. I gradual hill climb right out of T2 which I didn't care for.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-20 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
Subject: Carls Family YMCA Happy Trails Triathlon

2009-07-20 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2295682

User image

Veteran
Highland, Michigan
Subject: RE: Carls Family YMCA Happy Trails Triathlon
Nice to meet you yesterday Eric!
2009-07-20 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2295695

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
Subject: RE: Carls Family YMCA Happy Trails Triathlon
You too Mike - great race you had!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carls Family YMCA Happy Trails Triathlon Rss Feed