Glenview, Illinois
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 1s
Overall Rank = 108/363
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/27
Pre-race routine:

Easy bike over to the race. Set up transition. Stretch out. Relax.
Event warmup:

Other than bike over and stretching, none.
Swim
  • 04m 39s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

Snake swim with a new swimmer starting every 10 seconds. I caught the person in front of me within the first 50, but he turned right before I got to the wall, so I had to wait until the end of the next length to pass him. Once he knew I was there, he was very cool about letting me pass. 1 minor pile up in the 3rd or 4th lap, when someone who seeded themselves too agressively held up a few of us until he was pulled over. Managed the flips under the lane lines just fine. Overall, especially with the passing/pile-ups, I was happy with the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe seed myself a little higher next time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Overall, got everything but the shirt (see below) just right. Ran to bike - race belt, glasses, helmet, go. Mounted up with shoes already clipped in and chuckled a bit as I took off on top of my shoes listing to an "Oh sh!t" behind me as someone had some trouble getting their shoes clipped in.

No shirt (or just use a tri suit)! I know it's a rookie mistake and I've seen the advice against wrestling on a tight jersey over a wet body, but I blew it. I think I might have been out of T1 in less than a minute had I just blown off the shirt.
Bike
  • 29m 19s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.47 mile/hr
Comments:

Given the fitness that I brought into the race, I don't think that I could have done much better. I've only had 2 semi-serious rides in the last month, and it's been at least 6 weeks since I was really riding much. I had gone easier for a while because of my stress fracture, and than work got busy.

Other than training more consistently, nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Pretty good out through T2. I could have shaved a few seconds without socks, maybe I'll give that a try someday. One other gaffe (see below) that cost me.

DON'T DROP THE PHONE! Or for that matter, don't even bring a phone. Transition was going to be closed off after the race until the last runners were out of T2 and heading out to the run, so I brought my phone so that I could coordinate with my wife after I finished. When I thought I was slipping it into my rear pocket, I was really only slipping it under my race belt, right past the pocket . . . phone on ground in pieces. Lost at least 15-20 seconds picking up the pieces (literally and figuratively) and putting them back together.
Run
  • 30m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I knew the run was going to be more of a weak spot in this race, but overall, I can't complain. This was my first time running in any shape or form since I stopped due to a stress fracture 7-8 weeks ago. Even though I didn't push it too hard (given coming back from the sfx) none of it felt great.

Don't overtrain and get a stress fracture!
Post race
Warm down:

Water, food, massage, more water and food. What's not to like?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stress fracture and lack of serious traning in anything but the swim for the last 6 weeks.

Event comments:

This is a great home-town race. Actually it's better than that. It's a great Chicago-area sprint, and it's a fantastic home-town race. We're really lucky to have it in our backyard. Everything was phenominally well-organized. Tons of volunteers and they were all great (especially the drummers on the hill and at the turn around - you guys were awesome). Great guidance/annoncements before, during and after the race, good music, a lot of fun. STAY HEALTHY AND FINISH LESS THAN 1 HOUR NEXT YEAR!!!!

Last updated: 2009-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:39 | 300 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/27
Overall: 35/363
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto Tri Shorts
Course: 6 lane pool snake swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:19 | 10 miles | 20.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/27
Overall: 67/363
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 2 5-mile loops.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:08 | 03.11 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/27
Overall: 0/363
Performance: Below average
Course: Nice loop/out-and-back (out to a loop and then back) around lake and fields. Keeps things interesting with a modest hill that you have to cross twice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes