General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specific Swimming Technique Question: Body Roll Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-28 11:37 AM

User image

Regular
Carrollton, TX
Subject: Specific Swimming Technique Question: Body Roll
I'm improving my swim finally, but Im still pretty slow and tire easily.  One thing I noticed is when I start off, I have a good body roll which makes me feel like I'm just gliding through the water.....but after a while as I start to tire, I notice I'm really not rolling anymore (swimming with my belly button to the pool bottom).  I dont know if it's the lack of body roll that is making me get tired, or if my body roll is affected because I start getting tired.

Regardless, I started wondering just when I'm supposed to rotate.  I seem to remember reading somewhere that as you start pulling, your hip should turn up as your hand passes it, like your hand is pushing your hip up.  Is this correct? 

So once I have my right hand out in front of me, my left hip is up and belly button is facing the left wall, do I stay in that position until my left hand is out in front of me, or do I roll back with my belly button facing down as my left hand comes out of the water, or somewhere in between?  I guess my question is, do I try to keep my hips rotated as long as possible, or do I get my belly button facing the bottom sooner?

2009-07-28 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2312699

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Specific Swimming Technique Question: Body Roll

Try to consider freestyle as really swimming on your "sides" with a quick transition through the middle with your belly button facing downwards. You really want to flip side to side rather than slend alot of time on your belly because it is less aerodynamic. (ie. think about yourself "cutting" through the water like a knife).

As far as when you begin to switch over, it depends on how effeicient you are doing a "catchup" like stroke...you can start to get rather choppy if you are not moving your extended arm until your other arm is almost entering the water..

You are correct with the body rotation as you extend your hand back by your hip...experiment with rotating at different parts of your pull to see what is most effective for you..or ask a coach/swimmer to observe your stroke and comment. I would say I start to rotate to the other side as soon as my hand has exited the water by my hip...but again..this might not be the best for you depending on your fitness level and technique overall...

I hope this helps..

2009-07-28 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2312699

User image

Regular
Carrollton, TX
Subject: RE: Specific Swimming Technique Question: Body Roll
That helps, and helps me to break down all the little points I need to pay attention to.  I will experiment and see what works.  Thanks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Specific Swimming Technique Question: Body Roll Rss Feed