General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sort of did a my first Sprint yesterday next in 2 weeks need training advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-03 10:41 PM

User image

West Chester, PA
Subject: Sort of did a my first Sprint yesterday next in 2 weeks need training advice
My first triathlon was yesterday, the Philadelphia Danskin SheRox Sprint Tri.  We had horrific storms and the swim was canceled and replaced with a 1.5 mile run.  I was in the last wave and the storms became so severe, I'm talking cannot see through the rain and hail, flash flooding, downed trees on the bike route, lightning every 30 seconds, that they called the race off as I was just finishing up the bike leg.  So I didn't get to run the final 5k and didn't really get to do a triathlon.

So, I signed up for another 2 weeks from now (well Sunday 8/16) the Lums Pond Sprint Tri/Du in DE.  I took today off from training and last week I did very little as a taper week.  I'm not sure what to do to train for another (with a longer bike ride 19 miles vs. 15.5) in just 12 days?

Any advice on what to do over the next 12 days would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tamera

2009-08-03 10:49 PM
in reply to: #2325763

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: RE: Sort of did a my first Sprint yesterday next in 2 weeks need training advice
That sucks!  I did that race back in '06 and they almost cancelled the swim that year too.  I don't know much about the Lums race, since they didn't run it the year I was there.  If I remember correctly, they only do it every other year for some reason.  Anyway, it's pretty flat down there, so I wouldn't sweat the bike much.  Maybe get out and ride that distance this week and then maintain a similar schedule to what you were doing.  No need for a huge taper for a sprint.  My week before a race is typically-
Mon- rest
Tues- swim/run
Wed- bike
Thurs- tri club practice (short SBR)
Fri- rest
Sun- tiny brick
Good luck at Lums!  Hoping for good weather for you.
2009-08-03 10:54 PM
in reply to: #2325763

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Subject: RE: Sort of did a my first Sprint yesterday next in 2 weeks need training advice
I was at SheRox too. I was in an early wave and finished in the thunderstorm but it was to be my first Tri but I am still not a triathlete.
I felt like I studied real hard for a test and then they gave me the wrong test.
I am thinking of doing another sprint tri the next few weeks but I don't have many choices as I am looking in the NY New England area.
I think I'll be ready by the weekend, I hope you will be too. Two weeks should be plenty.

Edited by losta 2009-08-03 10:59 PM
2009-08-03 11:00 PM
in reply to: #2325775

User image

West Chester, PA
Thanks, the training plan I had from Active.com had me doing mon. 20 min run/tues rest/ wed 20 min swim/thurs rest/fri 20 min bike/sat rest/sun tri.  So I barely did any work.

I will take your advice and put some time in over the next 12 days, but lightening up towards the end.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sort of did a my first Sprint yesterday next in 2 weeks need training advice Rss Feed