General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition Times Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-09 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
metro Detroit, MI
Subject: Transition Times

I did my first duathlon on Saturday. My T1 time was 2:02, and T2 was 2:14. Looking at the others in my age group, some were like 40 seconds, 30 seconds.

2005-05-09 5:23 PM
in reply to: #155057

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Transition Times
What exactly were you doing during that time? Break down all your actions and see if there are any pieces that you could leave out, do quicker, or optimize.

Some ideas:
- Run, don't walk, in the transition area.
- Speed laces (Yankz!) on my running shoes saves a good amount of time.
- My bike shoes have two velcro straps and a ratchet strap. I close the first strap (at the toes), leave the second strap open, and put the ratchet strap in one click. That's enough to slip my feet in and I don't have to fiddle with the ratchet.
- Depending on the length of the bike ride, you may not need gloves. If you are putting on and removing gloves in the transition area, that takes a long time. Either leave them on the whole time or don't wear them at all.
- Most of your clothes can be the same in the bike and run. You can run in your bike shorts. You can wear the same shirt and socks. The only things that really needs to change are the shoes the helmet.
- If there's anything else you need on the run, carry it with you out of T2, don't put it on in T2. You can put it on while running.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what comes to mind right away.

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition Times Rss Feed