General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anti-bike segment on Detroit radio station WCSX Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-06 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Small Town
Subject: Anti-bike segment on Detroit radio station WCSX

Anti-bike segment on Detroit radio station WCSX. It was on the morning of August 5 on the Deminski and Doyle show. My favorite is how they are encouraging people to "Lob something at their (bicyclists) heads." 

http://greatermedia.cachefly.net/WCSX/DD/2009_08bicycliststhrowat.mp3

If you want to email WCSX management, use [email protected] If you want to call them, try 248-398-9470.

I emailed them a nice note: 

I simply cannot believe that you allow this on your airwaves.  To encourage drivers to "Lob something at their (bicyclists) heads" is harassment.  If ever someone assaults me while I'm riding, I will stop and call the police - you've passed me and I will make note of your license plate and vehicle description.  You think that because you're in a car you own the road?  Look up the Michigan Motor Vehicle Code - you'll see that bicyclists not only have the right to a lane, but all the same rules apply as if you are approaching another car!

Unbelievable.  I will be contacting your station sponsors as well!

Why don't you take the time to encourage your team to put pressure on the state and local government to improve road conditions and make a 3 foot shoulder without pot holes.  That will improve conditions for everyone.

Arrogant?? Really? Send them your opinion. 

2009-08-06 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2331685

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
Subject: RE: Anti-bike segment on Detroit radio station WCSX
Ok, that torqued me.  I just wrote this to them and also copied the chairman of the FCC along with the Michigan Attorney General's office.

"Lob something at their (bicyclists) heads" ??? Seriously?  What are we in grade school here?  What sort of immature children are you to advocate this?  Not only is this seriously irresponsible of your station to put something like this on the airwaves, but there are possible legal ramifications to your station should someone be injured or worse, killed.  This person claims that bicyclists are "selfish" and "jerks".  Well, how many poor drivers are out there?  How many car on car accidents are there that are due to someone's poor driving and violating traffic laws?  Apparently yo9u have no problem with that, but for some reason you've decided to begin a vendetta against bicyclists.  We do not own the road, we understand that, and we understand there are cyclists who are jerks, just like there are plenty of idiot drivers - I've been behind plenty of people who drive 10-20 mph below the speed limit as well as those who pass on the shoulder, pass in no-passing zones, go 20-30 mph over the speed limit weaving in and out of traffic,  running red lights - you name it...all of it is behavior much more dangerous than a bicyclist on  the side of the road.  But for you to advocate violence against a segment of the population is ignorant, irresponsible, and downright dangerous.  I'm not saying this isn't a topic for discussion - sure it is, but for you to actually tell people to throw things at cyclists - that's going too far.
2009-08-06 2:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit

I stopped listening to WCSX when they fired JJ & Lynn without letting them say good by.  A bunch of us all wrote nasty letters to the boss. I can't stand D&D.

2009-08-06 6:29 PM

User image

Regular
Troy, MI
Detroit radio programs have gone way down hill!
2009-08-06 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2333045

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I saw this on the Michigan League of Bicyclists link. 

Just one more reason my husband and I lust for moving OUT of southeastern Michigan. We travel quite a bit and maybe it's our delusion shaded by negative bias to this region, but there seems to be an overall negativity and rage in this area -- more evidence by the WCSX display.

I've completely restricted my cycling to Hines Drive (not so safe as one would think), ILRA and Kensington and last resort, the trainer. 

It's all so sad that people are that unhappy in their lives that this is what they spend their time doing, advocating harm to others.

Edited by travljini 2009-08-06 7:25 PM
2009-08-06 7:28 PM

I will write tonight. 

2009-08-06 9:23 PM

New user
D&D is known for taking valid points and turning them into ignorant rants.

Lets face it, they are there to make noise.  There is no way the two of them believe half of what they say.  I listened to them for a while then got tired of all the idiotic comments people made.  That's what they do.

Heck, I've wanted to throw things at a number of bikers myself!  Ever been to Island Lake?  They ride 3 or 4 wide all the time and take up the whole lane.  Refuse to move over so you can get around.  Blow through the stop signs.  Hold up traffic....

Like everything in life, it's the few that stick out.  The norm blend in, that's why no one talks about them.  No one remembers the countless courteous law abiding bikers they see every day.  No one talks about the guy who stopped at the red light.

Edited by JC5066 2009-08-06 9:25 PM
2009-08-11 1:56 PM

New user
I was in 7-11 yesterday and heard D&D talking about this again.  I guess they received a number of comments about the segment.

I didn't hear enough of it to know what they said.

It is said, none the less, to hear negative comments about bike riders in the day and age of pricey gas, economy, environmental concerns, and our nations/states state of physical health.

Edited by JC5066 2009-08-11 1:58 PM
2009-08-18 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2341912

User image

Veteran
Gibraltar Michigan USA
I am glad to see a thread here on BT.  I wrote in after someone sent me a link on Facebook.  Has anyone posted something to slowtwitch?

E
2009-08-18 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2356634

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
triorbonk - 2009-08-18 5:20 PM I am glad to see a thread here on BT.  I wrote in after someone sent me a link on Facebook.  Has anyone posted something to slowtwitch?

E

I did. As far as I'm concerned, it's closed. Do a thread search for 'wcsx' and you'll see the bigger thread (I think in COJ) where I posted the 'resolution'.
2009-08-19 5:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
Rick - I had to laugh when read the slowtwitch thread.  The response you got from the program director is word for word the same response I got.  I also received a second one from him a bit later asking where I heard this, claiming that someone was passing bad rumors.  I wrote back quoting the line about lobbing something at cyclists heads.  Never heard back after that

2009-08-19 2:15 PM

User image

Detroit, MI
I think there needs to be a campaign on educating people about cyclists.  Even though it's small I think having something as simple as a "Share the road with cyclists" sign on the side of the road would go a long way.  Most people in Michigan that I come across, when I'm riding and their heckling, sound like they don't know that we're supposed to be on the road.  It's ignorance.  There's a good discussion on this and Cycling Law reform in Michigan on what we should do.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anti-bike segment on Detroit radio station WCSX Rss Feed