Gulf Coast Half Ironman
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 27m 34s
Overall Rank = 1023/1341
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 132/161
Pre-race routine:

Arrived Thursday night with my wife and fellow racer. Slept poorly although I don't know why. Friday we met up with another friend and the 3 of us did a mini warm up of 9 mile bike, 1 mile run and 600 swim. Done by noon, back to condo and packed transition bags and prepared nutrition. Other racing friends arrived by 5 and we dropped bikes off and back to condo for spagetti. We had a fun group of 6 along with a bunch of kids and non racing spouses.
Event warmup:

Got up at 3:30, cup of coffee and a zone bar. Then some rice krispy squares and off to transition at 4:30. Set up transition and filled bike with nutrition. Talked to fellow competitors and friends and awaited the start. My wife went off at 6:25, then I put on my wetsuit and got focused for my 7:10 start.
Swim
  • 43m 10s
  • 2150 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall improvement of 3 minutes 8 seconds over last year. First time in a wetsuit and the combination of wetsuit and salt water buoyancy was great. I somehow started too far to the left and made the course longer. The course was very well marked with big buoys and little ones in between. I have old prescription goggles and am typically a poor navigator. My turns were wide and I didn't swim a good line but I will take the improvement. My 2 buddies started out 5 minutes behind me and caught me at the shore. My wife beat me by 6 seconds !! Way to go Marcy!
What would you do differently?:

My new goggles were sitting on my porch when I got home from the race, the old ones are scratched and leak a little so new goggles and practice open water swimming and sighting.
Transition 1
  • 04m 37s
Comments:

Lost 43 seconds to last year. Took wetsuit off on the bench approaching my bike. Run to bike was longer, but run out shorter, so no explanation.

Practice taking the suit off although I don't know if I will get to race in it again around here.
Bike
  • 2h 46m 13s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Improved by 8:24 over prior year, but I was hoping for a little more. Started out strong and passed my 2 buddies back from the swim in the first 5 miles. The road started out a little bumpy and the bike traffic was heavy but I was feeling strong. I felt strong until about the 30 mile mark, I got caught behind an ambulance at the turn around and my turn around was almost a complete stop. The ride back was a little tougher and the wind seemed to be more of a headwind than on the way out. Not sure how we had headwinds both ways! I struggled a little but I didn't let up. When we crossed the major highway (98) I got run off the road by a Winnebago, they made a last minute move into the turning lane and I had to ditch into a parking lot. Almost hit 2 spectators and bounced in a pothole pretty hard. Can't believe I didn't crash and didn't flat but I looped around the parking lot and got back on course. The near accident pumped me up and I pounded home to T2, took my feet out of the shoes before transition and exited safely and quickly. Someone in front of me had crashed at the line but I wasn't close to it. Thank you Fortuna for the good luck!. My wife beat me by 48 seconds, wow!! That hasn't happened in a year!

Bike was good, I got a new bike in January and am still adjusting position. I got plenty of miles of base but I have been tinkering with the seat height and probably changed it a little too close to the race. I also didn't get my last to long bikes in because of races and weather (shame on me). Might need to work on nutrition a little more for this distance. Also, I will be extra careful around Winnebago's on the course.
Transition 2
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

1 minute and 10 seconds better than last year, got back the time lost in T1 and then some. No issues well done. I finally take a split from my wife by 50 seconds.

nothing
Run
  • 2h 51m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

13 minute and 27 second improvement !!!! Yes !!!!!!! Running is a struggle for me but I am improving. The weather probably helped versus last year but I am thrilled with the improvement. Was 5 minutes faster the first 6 and 8 on the back half. Buddies passed me in mile 3, mile 5, and mile 7 and stopped and kissed wife on mile 5. I have two bad ankles and at mile 9 they really started to hurt. I walked a total of 4 minutes in mile 10 and 11 but then gave myself a talk and finished with no more walking. Oh yeah, Marcy beat me by 7:45 on the run but that is not a surprise.

Like the bike, long runs fell off in the last month. Only ran to 10 once. I think I need to run to race distance and I have to schedule better for this distance of a race to permit me to run stronger. I also need to work on nutrition here.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down for a minute after finish line, then found my cheering wife and shared a brief recap. We had a great day. Went to the massage area and was able to get a massage within 15 minutes. They had such a big crew of massage therapist.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly my feet and my poor run. I had a good base but neglected distance in the last month so I could do a couple of sprints. Probably need help with nutrition for this distance.

Event comments:

Great Trip, all of crew finished with PR's, no injuries, no penalties.

Last updated: 2005-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:10 | 2150 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 139/161
Overall: 1029/1341
Performance: Average
Suit: Ironman Stealth
Course: Way out, short across, and back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:37
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:46:13 | 56 miles | 20.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 94/161
Overall: 603/1341
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Some rough spots at beginning and in several spots along the way. Despite heavily traveled roads, the course was well policed.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:51:00 | 13.1 miles | 13m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 132/161
Overall: 1023/1341
Performance: Average
Splits 1. 10.27 28 2. 10.35 3. 11.33 4. 11.53 5 13.43 6. 12.10 7. 11.59 8. 13.10 9. 14.42 10. 13.43 11. 14.14 12. 14.29 13.1 18.27 HR started at 148 and was down to 135 by the end. Quick pit stops in miles 5 and 9
Course: Out and back through friendly encouraging neighborhoods packed with awesome volunteers and locals. Very little shade and a very hot couple of miles through the state park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-05-10 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: Gulf Coast Half Ironman

2005-05-10 7:29 AM
in reply to: #155246

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast Half Ironman

Congratulations on a great race and a great finish.  Too bad I didn't know another BT'r was racked right next to me.  You were 1308, I was 1309.  Go figure.

See you next year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gulf Coast Half Ironman Rss Feed