Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

got out of bed
Swim
  • 10m
  • 500 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

First swim in salt water so I was more focused on spitting out the salt water than I was about staying on line and swimming hard. Pretty much confirmation that I am a pathetic swimmer but I survived. The water was fairly cold and my toes were getting quite cold. I started to settle in about 200 yards from the finish and settle into a rhythm of stroking, looking, and spitting out salt water.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to keep googles from fogging up?

What would you do differently?:

learn how to swim in a straight line

I need to improve my technique to be a faster swimmer.
Transition 1
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

guess on the T1 time

no dizziness which was a good thing but my feet were a little, okay a lot, cold.
Bike
  • 40m 30s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.26 mile/hr
Comments:

Having not spent a lot of time on the bike, or doing anything for that matter over the last month, I could definitely feel a bit the old rubber legs. I regularly ride the course and was feeling really sluggish.

The course went through Cape heart housing and it was really fun to fly through the roundabouts. I felt like a TDF rider...only a lot slower :)

I had some cramping in my calves on the the hill up towards the housing and could no stand up in the pedals like I normally do to power through. I think it was the cold water.

Since it was a small race the second lap was kind of lonely. I passed a bunch of the faster swimmers on the bike and lapped the slowest of the riders but it was really lonely on on the second loop. It is probably a mental thing but I like having people in my sights to try and catch as it is easier to go faster.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

First time ever that I had a volunteer grab my bike for the rack as i got to the transition area. It was nice. There was also a volunteer with an orange slice and a cup of water which was awesome!!!

T2 time is a guess but close
Run
  • 22m 58s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Cramped up really bad in my calves right after getting off the bike and I had to stretch out. In knew there were only three people in front of me but after not running for about a month it was all I could do to keep from walking. But once I got to the water station at the half way point I was finally able to start stretching out my stride and get some speed back. There was no way I was going to catch the three guys in front of my but there was also no way the two people behind me were going to catch me.

I am not sure about the run time as I don't think I was running that fast but I know the bike time is right and the swim time is within 30 second so it must be close. If it's correct than this is my first sprint tri with a sub 8:00min mile run.
Post race
Warm down:

Drove the 10 minutes to my house and got in the shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I haven't done any consistent training over the last two months and not much of anything in the last month on account of the new baby. I figure that is a pretty good excuse.

I had some stomach cramping later in the afternoon. I think I am going to try a different electoryte (not gatorade) or just use water on the short distances.

Event comments:

The race was put on by the Explosive Ordinance disposal Unit 11 from NASWI who are being relocated to San Diego this year, hence the Last Blast.

The course is great and the Navy Chiefs who were volunteered to volunteer were awesome!! The new Chiefs are required to do volunteer work this time of year but they did a great job. Thanks guys.

This may be the last time the race happens but in my opinion if a race promoter were to step up, work with the Navy, and put on an organized and advertised race this could be a classic here in the Northwest. EOD eleven put on a great race for only $20, with a tee shirt. With the right event organizer they could easily have 1,000 people here and charge $50+ a head. A lot of the races are limited by the size of the available transition areas. There is enough space for a 1,000 plus their cars here, no problem. The only hiccup would be the NAVY but the SPB is open to the public and as long as there is a benefit to Navy Personnel as well as civilians the base captain would probably say yes.

It wouldn't be too much of a problem to make it a long course half iron distance either. The run could be almost entirely along the waterfront. The bike route would be pretty hilly though(ie the loop around strawberry point x2)

If you have done the Race the Rock triathlon on Whidbey I think this is a better place to race.

It is a beautiful place to race. The water is cold and salty but they don't call it IRONMAN because it is easy.

Last updated: 2009-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 500 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/25?
Performance: Below average
Suit: full 2-3mil tri wetsuit
Course: triangular course in Crescent harbor bay.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No