United States
Set Up, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 20m
Overall Rank = 161/204
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate pasta and chicken the night before around 7pm. Woke up at 5am and ate cereal for breakfast. Rode to the race site and set up transition. OH YEA TRANSITION GODS WHAT HAVE I DONE TO ANGER THEE???? For like the third race in a row I was all the way at the end of the row against a fence. At least there was plenty of space. At this distance race it wasn't a big deal. About an hour prior I ate a quarter of a bagel.
Event warmup:

Ran once around the dirt track (about a quarter of a mile), had a powerade gel approximately 5 minutes prior to race start. Did about a 40m out and back warm up just prior to swim start.
Swim
  • 41m 23s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was roughly 1 minute slower than two years ago. The water was a tad cooler but that didn't help to much. I don't know why but rounding the last bouy the it seemed like forever to get to the finish. I can't say I was running out of gas but was definitely sighting a lot with the thought, "Am I there yet?" I also was fighting not to drift to the right the whole way back. Everytime I sighted I was pointing right of finish. I felt steady the whole swim but never fast. Anyone I started to draft off of lost me after about 10-20 strokes.
What would you do differently?:

Increase arm turnover(with training). I felt like I was racing the same as I practice.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No time here. Setupevents had a technical malfunction and all transition time was added onto the bike time. That being said I wasn't nearly as winded as two years ago on this course. Transition went pretty smoothly. Got into my pedals faster than some sprints earlier this year. Had another gel in transition.
Bike
  • 1h 40m 6s
  • 27.96 miles
  • 16.76 mile/hr
Comments:

I am guessing I was somewhere in the neighborhood of a minute to two minutes faster than two years ago.
That being said, I had a tough first mile. My left hamstring was cramping up bad after the initial climb up the dam. Pedal a few strokes, stretch, pedal a few strokes, stretch. Other cyclists I wizzed by in transition were now whizzing by me. At mile two my legs loosened up as I started the first big climb. Through the first ten miles during climbs, I constantly was unsure whether to stay steated and spin fast or stand and climb. I mixed the two pretty evenly. The climbs were my strong suit. On the other hand, flats and downhills were my weak suit. There were a few cyclists I would constantly pass on uphills, and they would pass me on flats and downhills. Back and forth. And I'm not counting the ones who would always wiz by me and vanish on the souped up bikes.
The second half of the course was easier than I recall. But I am pretty sure I didn't attack it as hard as last time. I felt like I was storing for the run. Another problem that occured was at about mile 20, I hit something metal and fairly big. I never saw what it was. At first I was worried I cut a tire. Second I was worried something vital had fallen off my bike. So a small part of me was riding paranoid the rest of the course that my bike was about to fall apart. One more problem I had is that I had taken another gel taped to my bike to consume at about mile 26 or so just prior to the run so it would be kicking in by then. When I looked down to take it, it had fallen off. By the end of the course I had also only drank about a third of my second water bottle. A usual for a training ride, but I was unsure if I had consumed enough fluids for the run or not. I didn't feel dehydrated.

Attack the second half the course harder. I probably shaved off a minute or two from a couple years ago. Probably could of shaved off five had I attacked the second half of the course. Not that it would of made any difference as what was to come.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again no time. Had to take a gel for the one I lost on the bike course. I was very fresh through T2 and never slowed down. It was as fast as a sprint tri transition. Had a slight cramp in my left hip putting on the running shoes but it went away as soon as I took off.

Not much, I took the gel with me. And took it on the dirt track. It was all semantics about consuming it a few seconds earlier.
Run
  • 58m 32s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The disaster that I endured two years ago happened again this time around also. Not at the same severity but definitely added between 5-10 minutes to my overall run time. I ran around the track, climbed the first steep hill without much problem. About 200 yards later 50 yards from the first water station. My left hamstring locked up. And never let up for at least a mile. All the way to the park entrance and back to the dam was the following. Lock, stretch, walk, run about 20 steps, lock, repeat.
What really made this suck worse than the last time was the last time I literally felt spent head to toe. This time the rest of me felt ready to hit at least tempo aside from my hamstring. Right at about the first descent down the far side of the dam it let up. Then running down the dam my right hamstring cramped up a bit. Not nearly as bad as the left, but I was pretty much shuffling down the dam the first time around. The next mile my hamstrings were still tweaking threatening to tighten, but I was at least able to run without stopping. I was gulping down two cups of Heed at every water station trying to get emergency aid to my hamstrings.
Upper body felt good. I knew I was running stronger than two years ago because there is a smaller hill (that would constitute a climb if not for the dam)that I recall walking in both directions last time in which this time I was able to run right over.
At the second steeeeep dam climb, my heart rate and lack of pace kept me from running and I walked the hill. My legs were pretty spent as well so I used the hill as a short rest before running again at the top. Ran the second loop at something resembling tempo but could never push a race pace as my legs felt like jello. Walked the third steeeeeep climb and headed to the finish. Usually I am able to conjure up some adrenaline to hit a 5K race pace to the finish. Didn't happen this time, I was happy to make it.

Still a mystery. Combination of nutrition and leg power.
Post race
Warm down:

Laid down on the grass for like 5 minutes. Tried to stand up and move and was light headed and had to sit back down. I slowly consumed a plate of food which after I did felt a bit better. Thanks Steph for being there with everything I needed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

With the swim speed. With the bike and run leg power/endurance. I seriously need to drop and transfer some weight on my frame if I am ever to perform much better one day. Still want to get down below the three hour mark someday.

Event comments:

Losing the transition splits sucks, but it happens. Good overall race.

Last updated: 2009-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:23 | 1640 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/204
Performance: Average
Suit: zoot
Course: Triangle course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 87F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:40:06 | 27.96 miles | 16.76 mile/hr
Performance: Average
The above time included transitions. So 4-5 minutes can be taken off of it.
Wind: None
Course: Steep climb out. Long steady climb in mile 2. Lots of uphill climbs till about mile 10. The rest is rolling.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:32 | 06.21 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Three steep climbs at mile 1, mile 3, and mile 6. The last two are killers.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes