General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fall 12-Week No-Sugar Challenge 2009 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-10-09 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2351616

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Subject: RE: Fall 12-Week No-Sugar Challenge 2009
Kelly, I feel exactly the same way.  I had the same experience after the last challenge.  I definitely think this one has been easier for me as far as less cravings to fight, but I also definitely think that having sugar makes things twice as hard all of a sudden.  For me, I feel like its almost an addiction - My name is Karla and I am a sugar-a-holic!!  I would love to be able to go back to occasional indulgences without letting it become a regular way of eating again, but I don't know if my chemical make-up will allow me to handle that or not.  : (  I'm hoping that it will be easier after a second challenge, but I may have to keep working at it for a long time.

Anyway, I'm off to MD to do the Seagull Century tomorrow.  I hope there are some good sugar-free goodies at the end!

2009-10-09 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2450858

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
kcovert1 - 2009-10-08 8:55 PM

gymgirlx - 2009-10-07 11:00 PM sorry you guys!!! I've slipped a few times, and have been keeping track in binder off to write them now. All in all, doing GREAT!!! I haven't weighed myself in little while, but last time I checked I was done about 4 pounds. Feeling faster, and my clothes are loser. 13 pounds total now? WOOT!

Nice job, Rachel.  13 pounds is impressive!!

I meant "down" not DONE. This no-sugar thing is messing with my head
2009-10-14 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Wow, Rachel! That's fantastic! Keep up the good work!

Everyone is getting very quiet these days!  How are you all doing?

I suddenly, out of the blue, had a hard-core ice cream craving the other night.  I started negotiating with myself to take a ding.  And thanks to my husband, there are two quarts (not pints) of Coldstone ice cream in the freezer.  But then I managed to talk myself down off the ledge by reasoning - frozen treat, sweet and creamy = frozen blueberries w/greek yogurt and cinnamon.  So even though, I wasn't even hungry, I satisfied myself w/the healthy treat and all's well that ends well!  Whew!  Dodged that bullet!
2009-10-14 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2458658

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
carteroak - 2009-10-14 9:34 AM Wow, Rachel! That's fantastic! Keep up the good work!

Everyone is getting very quiet these days!  How are you all doing?

I suddenly, out of the blue, had a hard-core ice cream craving the other night.  I started negotiating with myself to take a ding.  And thanks to my husband, there are two quarts (not pints) of Coldstone ice cream in the freezer.  But then I managed to talk myself down off the ledge by reasoning - frozen treat, sweet and creamy = frozen blueberries w/greek yogurt and cinnamon.  So even though, I wasn't even hungry, I satisfied myself w/the healthy treat and all's well that ends well!  Whew!  Dodged that bullet!

Very Nice, Karla!!  I'm impressed.
2009-10-18 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
My husband and I went to the movies today, so I took a baggie of plain shredded wheat cereal, to replace munching on that yummy theater popcorn.  Not quite the same, but I'm sure I'll be glad in the long run.
2009-10-20 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2465663

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
carteroak - 2009-10-18 5:04 PM My husband and I went to the movies today, so I took a baggie of plain shredded wheat cereal, to replace munching on that yummy theater popcorn.  Not quite the same, but I'm sure I'll be glad in the long run.

You are a rock! 

Sorry I've been missing lately...so busy, and so craving sugar!  I usually make this very delicious fresh apple cake every fall, and I'm totally wanting it.  I might make it and take my mulligan, but I'm not sure if I could just eat one slice!  I did find an apple tart recipe with only 6 tbs of sugar for the whole recipe, so maybe I'll make that instead.  I gotta find something apple-y!!  Any suggestions?

2009-10-21 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Kelly - Wegman's has an apple cider bread in their bakery right now.  I haven't checked the ingredients, but it is possible that it is just sweetened w/cider.  I'll check next time I go.  I know what you mean - fall weather calls for warm, yummy fall produce goodness!  What about baked apples w/butter, cinnamon, and nuts, but no sugar?  I have been making sweet potatoes more often lately and putting cinnamon on them.  I'm also craving winter squash.  That carrot cake recipe that you had was very clever.  I was thinking about it the other day and wondering if it could be adapted to use apples instead - might be worth a try!
2009-10-22 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2470792

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
carteroak - 2009-10-21 10:24 AM Kelly - Wegman's has an apple cider bread in their bakery right now.  I haven't checked the ingredients, but it is possible that it is just sweetened w/cider.  I'll check next time I go.  I know what you mean - fall weather calls for warm, yummy fall produce goodness!  What about baked apples w/butter, cinnamon, and nuts, but no sugar?  I have been making sweet potatoes more often lately and putting cinnamon on them.  I'm also craving winter squash.  That carrot cake recipe that you had was very clever.  I was thinking about it the other day and wondering if it could be adapted to use apples instead - might be worth a try!

I've tried the apple cider bread...very good and sugar is way low on the ingredients.  I've also been making baked apples (but not with nuts...that sounds good), sweet potatoes, acorn squash.  (I just had acorn squash casserole for my dessert.) I've been thinking the same thing about the carrot cake recipe, but I'm not sure the bananas and apples would work together.  I might try it with no sugar apple butter and yogurt?  I'll let you know if I come up with anything!  Sounds like we are thinking along the same lines.
2009-10-23 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Hmmm.  Sounds like you have good ideas for substitutions in the recipe.  I'll be curious how it goes if you try it.
Also, could you send me your acorn squash recipe?  I usually just bake or steam my winter squash and eat it straight, so I'd love to have some more creative, healthy ways to prepare it.
2009-10-23 1:00 PM

User image

Palm Desert, California
Took a few dings over the last few weeks. I was in a wedding over the week-end and the cookie table was at least 24 feet long doubled tired !!!!!! I'm back on track now and making health food chooses again. Good new is I have lost 12 lbs!!!!!!! My cloths are very baggy and I feel great!!!

More good news, I'm a complete match for a friend in need of a Kidney. Surgery is scheduled for November 4th at the Mayo clinic in Arizona. Though I'm a little nervous I know I'm doing the right thing. I'll be in the hospital for two days and in Arizona for a week before I can go home. From everything I've read I believe I'll be recovering from 4-6 weeks.

I'm in the process of making a tentative schedule of races I would like to do. I have a 1/2 Mary in February. A Olympic tri in March and a Marathon in June. Considering my circumstance are these goals realistic? I have done a 1/2 Mary and a sprint recently.

Keep up all the good work
Steven
2009-10-23 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2476083

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
MASHIE36 - 2009-10-23 2:00 PM Took a few dings over the last few weeks. I was in a wedding over the week-end and the cookie table was at least 24 feet long doubled tired !!!!!! I'm back on track now and making health food chooses again. Good new is I have lost 12 lbs!!!!!!! My cloths are very baggy and I feel great!!!

More good news, I'm a complete match for a friend in need of a Kidney. Surgery is scheduled for November 4th at the Mayo clinic in Arizona. Though I'm a little nervous I know I'm doing the right thing. I'll be in the hospital for two days and in Arizona for a week before I can go home. From everything I've read I believe I'll be recovering from 4-6 weeks.

I'm in the process of making a tentative schedule of races I would like to do. I have a 1/2 Mary in February. A Olympic tri in March and a Marathon in June. Considering my circumstance are these goals realistic? I have done a 1/2 Mary and a sprint recently.

Keep up all the good work
Steven

Wow, Steven!  Congrats on your weight loss!  You have obviously been working hard and making good choices pretty consistently! 

And it's great that you are able to donate a kidney to your friend!  I don't know much about how your surgery will affect your training, but I'll be you'll be fine for your races, especially if you are careful in your recovery so that you avoid set backs, and you are relaxed about your time goal for the February 1/2 mary.  You are certainly at a good starting point now, so it probably won't take too much to get back to it.

2009-10-23 3:25 PM
in reply to: #2475384

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
carteroak - 2009-10-23 10:01 AM Hmmm.  Sounds like you have good ideas for substitutions in the recipe.  I'll be curious how it goes if you try it.
Also, could you send me your acorn squash recipe?  I usually just bake or steam my winter squash and eat it straight, so I'd love to have some more creative, healthy ways to prepare it.

I baked 4 small acorn squash until tender.  Then I mixed the cooked flesh with one egg, some skim milk (maybe 3/4 cup or so?), splash of vanilla, couple spoonfuls of no sugar apple butter, some melted butter (maybe 2 tbs?), and a sprinkle of cinnamon in my kitchenaid mixer (her name is Ruby).  put in greased casserole dish and bake for about 40 min or so. I sprinkled some chopped pecans on top about half way through.

I also did the same thing with sweet potatoes only I didn't use any apple butter.  Very good!!  My kids loved it too (both kinds.)
2009-10-26 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Eight weeks down and four weeks to go!  It's been so quiet, I'm starting to wonder how many of you are still in.  Anyone have any recent no-sugar stories to tell or good recipes to add?

Kelly - I can't wait to try this acorn squash recipe! Thanks so much!
2009-10-29 9:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
So, I have been really good lately, BUT I have been thinking so much about sweet treats!  The good news is, I haven't given in, but I have really wanted to.  My husband and I are going away next weekend, and I think I might take my mulligan on a great dessert.  I just hope that when we are done with this challenge I can still stay relatively sugar-free with maybe just a treat here and there.  I'm so hoping it doesn't have to be all or nothing with me!

I have also been wondering who is still in.  Are you guys out there??
2009-10-30 6:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Kelly - you are amazing!  I wish I had saved my mulligan for celebrating after my half-ironman next weekend!  But anyway, being off of sugar has really helped w/preparing for it.  I hope you have a great time on your trip!

I share your hope for after the challenge.  Maintaining a no-added-sugar diet is clearly so good for me on so many levels, that it doesn't make sense that I would revert, but it's powerful stuff!  I'd like to think that I could just enjoy a treat a couple of times a month or so and leave it at that!  We'll see.
2009-10-30 6:25 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Hey All!  I'm still here just super busy with all that I've taken on lately.  I have been doing super well...that is up until last night.  I broke down and had some chocolate with my family but all is well as I have picked myself back up and am going strong.  I'd like to think (like you guys) that I will be this strong once the challenge is over but I know it won't be easy with the holidays and some travel to visit family in the Mainland at Thanksgiving.  All I can do is keep my goals in mind and remember how good it feels to be able to resist and not feel that ''calling" that I just HAVE to have it!!

2009-11-01 7:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
That sounds really good, Michelle!

How did Halloween go for you guys?  I haven't been tempted by the left-over candy yet! I got my husband to hand out most of it, so I didn't really have to face it that much, and now the left-overs are out of sight.
2009-11-02 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2476509

User image

Veteran
kcovert1 - 2009-10-23 3:25 PM
carteroak - 2009-10-23 10:01 AM Hmmm.  Sounds like you have good ideas for substitutions in the recipe.  I'll be curious how it goes if you try it.

I baked 4 small acorn squash until tender.  Then I mixed the cooked flesh with one egg, some skim milk (maybe 3/4 cup or so?), splash of vanilla, couple spoonfuls of no sugar apple butter, some melted butter (maybe 2 tbs?), and a sprinkle of cinnamon in my kitchenaid mixer (her name is Ruby).  put in greased casserole dish and bake for about 40 min or so. I sprinkled some chopped pecans on top about half way through.

I also did the same thing with sweet potatoes only I didn't use any apple butter.  Very good!!  My kids loved it too (both kinds.)

Wow!  Can you come live at my house for the next month?
2009-11-09 1:03 PM

User image

New user

I just discovered this forum and this thread.

Wow! I'm so impressed with what people are accomplishing here, and the realization of just how important diet is when it comes to "tri'ing for weight loss"!

Has anyone read The Paleo Diet for Athletes?
It seems to give some pretty good advice on staying low carb but adding a little more specific carbs for certain distances, etc.

Cheers,
Kevin
2009-11-09 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2505023

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
KevFitness - 2009-11-09 2:03 PM I just discovered this forum and this thread.

Wow! I'm so impressed with what people are accomplishing here, and the realization of just how important diet is when it comes to "tri'ing for weight loss"!

Has anyone read The Paleo Diet for Athletes?
It seems to give some pretty good advice on staying low carb but adding a little more specific carbs for certain distances, etc.

Cheers,
Kevin

Hi, Kevin...thanks for the encouragement.  I have read Paleo for Athletes and like the idea, but I like dairy way too much.  I do try to keep my starchy carbs for around my workouts though.
2009-11-09 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Hi, guys...I finally used my mulligan this weekend.  Kel and I went to Lake Placid for the weekend, and I totally splurged on a dessert called "Chocolate Perversion."  Yep, and it was really good.  Kel and I split it, so I don't feel too bad, and now we can stay strong until Thanksgiving!!

I hope all is well with everyone...it's been a little quiet.  Who is still in?

2009-11-09 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2505583

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
kcovert1 - 2009-11-09 5:12 PM Hi, guys...I finally used my mulligan this weekend.  Kel and I went to Lake Placid for the weekend, and I totally splurged on a dessert called "Chocolate Perversion."  Yep, and it was really good.  Kel and I split it, so I don't feel too bad, and now we can stay strong until Thanksgiving!!

I hope all is well with everyone...it's been a little quiet.  Who is still in?

Okay. Yeah.  "Chocolate Perversion" sounds like it was more than worthy of the sacrifice of your mulligan!  In the last challenge, I gave up my mulligan on a mistake - a piece of bread that didn't fit the rules and I didn't realize until it was too late.  That was like injuring yourself getting out of bed - embarrassing enough that I should have made up a better story!  "Chocolate Perversion" is EXCELLENT!

I had my "Race of the year" on Saturday and was so tired and my stomach was so unhappy, that I didn't even want anything sweet afterward.  My husband and I did find a great German restaurant for a celebration dinner, but I came away ding-free.  But I have to admit, the temptation of sweets has crossed my mind way too many times in the past day or so.  I hope I can find the strength to sustain!
2009-11-11 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Kelly - I tried your acorn squash recipe, and it was great!  Normally, my husband will only eat a few bites of winter squash because he knows I want him to, but he actually liked this and ate a full serving!  I really liked it too!  I will use the same idea for other squash and sweet potatoes.  Thanks for the idea!
2009-11-12 12:18 AM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
I'm still here and going strong ~ I just have not been able to "play" on BT as much as I'd like since starting school.  Priorities, right?!

Kelly, I would love to try your squash recipe but I am ashamed to admit that I don't even know where to begin.  You said that you "baked 4 small acorn squash until tender.  Then I mixed the cooked flesh."  Again, I hate to admit that I have no idea what this means...did you just throw the whole thing in the oven or what?  The flesh?  I'm assuming that is the stuff inside?  (stop laughing at me!!!)
Can you tell I hate cooking?  I'm trying really hard though to learn and this sounds yummy AND easy!!
2009-11-12 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2509972

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Happychick - 2009-11-12 1:18 AM I'm still here and going strong ~ I just have not been able to "play" on BT as much as I'd like since starting school.  Priorities, right?!

Kelly, I would love to try your squash recipe but I am ashamed to admit that I don't even know where to begin.  You said that you "baked 4 small acorn squash until tender.  Then I mixed the cooked flesh."  Again, I hate to admit that I have no idea what this means...did you just throw the whole thing in the oven or what?  The flesh?  I'm assuming that is the stuff inside?  (stop laughing at me!!!)
Can you tell I hate cooking?  I'm trying really hard though to learn and this sounds yummy AND easy!!

Hopefully, Kelly with share her technique, too, but here's what I did - I cut one large acorn squash in have lengthwise and scraped out all the seeds.  Then I put a little butter on the cut surface to keep it soft (you could use olive or canola oil instead).  Then I put 1/4 inch of water in a pyrex 9X13 dish and put the squash in it cut side up.  I covered it with foil and baked it at 375 for about an hour - you want it to be fork tender and it could take anywhere from 45min to 1:15.   Once it was soft, I pulled it out of the oven, let it cool enough to handle, and scraped all of the flesh out of the outer skin (which is pretty tough).  Then I followed Kelly's instructions and estimated most of the quanities.  I poured it all into an oven safe dish, covered in foil, and baked at 350 for another 45 min.  Delicious!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fall 12-Week No-Sugar Challenge 2009 Rss Feed  

of 11