General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint Tri (Lake Lanier)- Need Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-18 10:23 AM

Subject: First Sprint Tri (Lake Lanier)- Need Advice
I plan on doing the Lake Lanier Sprint Tri on October 4th. Im on a mega limited budget of $500-$600 tops.

I basically do not have anything but my old running shoes that are due for an upgrede and I don't have a bike yet.

I figure I'll need new shoes, a bike, helmet, and maybe some tri shorts? Do you need to wear a top or can you go shirtless/topless (for a guy!)?

I plan on going to fleet feet to get the right fitting running shoes.

The bike, I was hoping to find something on craigs list but its hard to find the right fit and priced bike. So I was thinking of Bikesdirect?

I wan't to finish competativly because I am very competative so I don't want to have to use my brother in laws MTB and get blown away on the bike portion...but if i have to I will! =/

Sorry for the total noob first post! and thanks!

2009-08-18 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2355501

User image

Subject: RE: First Sprint Tri (Lake Lanier)- Need Advice
Have you considered renting a bike? A friend of mine flew down from VT for the IronGirl Tri and rented a SWEET bike from Roswell bikes for the weekend. Sure, you won't have your own to train on, but it could be a feasible idea if you want to be competitive. You could rent the same bike out for a small training run, or call them up and test it out before you commit.

Finding a bike on craigslist is hard - especially if you are not looking for a mtn bike. I'm assuming you have asked around to borrow friends bikes. Who knows though, Ebay or BikesDirect may have something... Of course this time of year you may be able to find a deal at your LBS. Another friend of mine got a sweet deal on hers at Performance Bike.

Keep checking around... and good luck!

2009-08-18 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Bobmarley - 2009-08-18 11:23 AM I plan on doing the Lake Lanier Sprint Tri on October 4th. Im on a mega limited budget of $500-$600 tops.

I basically do not have anything but my old running shoes that are due for an upgrede and I don't have a bike yet.

I figure I'll need new shoes, a bike, helmet, and maybe some tri shorts? Do you need to wear a top or can you go shirtless/topless (for a guy!)?

I plan on going to fleet feet to get the right fitting running shoes.

The bike, I was hoping to find something on craigs list but its hard to find the right fit and priced bike. So I was thinking of Bikesdirect?

I wan't to finish competativly because I am very competative so I don't want to have to use my brother in laws MTB and get blown away on the bike portion...but if i have to I will! =/

Sorry for the total noob first post! and thanks!

Hi Andrew...welcome to the sport.  I'll take a stab at your post and know that others will likely be chiming in as well.

You're definitely on a tight budget if you need all of that gear used or new, but since this is your first tri, here's what I would advise.

Re: the bike, forget about buying one now and see if you can borrow - esp. for your first.  Do you know anybody approx. the same size who would be willing to lend you a bike?  Even a friend of a friend?  The tri community is a friendly and supportive one, and many people would likely be more than willing to lend you a bike for the day.  It might simply be a road bike, but for the Lake Lanier Tri, this is fine because the bike portion of the race is quite short.  As with the bike, you can probably borrow shoes and a helmet; at most you might need to invest in some clips to make borrowed shoes compatible with pedals on a borrowed bike.  Lots of money saved here.

So, with the money saved and as it sounds like you need a good pair of running shoes, head over to Fleet Feet or Big Peach, among others, and get fitted.  Both places will analyze your running style and recommend several shoes/brands based upon same.  This should be your number one investment at this point.

Re: tri shorts and a top, you can find lots of inexpensive stuff online that'll work just fine.  You *could* spend some nice coin here, but you don't need to.  And to your question about wearing a top - some races allow shirtless, some don't - not sure about Jim's races, but somebody else might know.

Most people competing in tris are very competitive, in one fashion or another; whether using tri as a means to overcome an unhealthy lifestyle, or as a means to maximize their athletic gifts, or as a means to compete head-to-head against other like-minded athletes, everybody's looking to beat something.  If you've never done a tri before and are not riding regularly (based upon your comment that you don't have a bike), be realistic in your expectations regarding finishing competitively.  Depending upon your age group, you might be competing against the equivalent of wolves.  Because the Lake Lanier Tri is one of the last races of the season, it's usually filled to the brim with lots of very fast folks.

Rather, since this is your first, I'd recommend that you set some finishing time goals based upon your training.  Make sure you're logging your swim/bike/run workouts and after you start working some bricks into the mix, you'll start to gain an idea about possible times for each segment.

Hope this helps a bit and all the best as you prepare for your first - congrats!!

Edited by LHablas 2009-08-18 10:51 AM
2009-08-18 1:39 PM

thanks for the advice!

I guess for now my biggest task is finding a $400 bike! I do have a coupld friends of friends I'm waiting to hear back from that might have a bike. I would preferably have a bike asap so that I could train on it rather than my exercise bike.. =/

Anyone know of a $400 they would recomend...bikesdirect has a few in that price range but I really don't know if one is better than the other...like these...

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/wellington3_IX.htm

or

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/lt1200.htm

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint Tri (Lake Lanier)- Need Advice Rss Feed