United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 08m 24s
Overall Rank = 18646/40000
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Left home at about 5:20. Parked in the East Bay and took BART into the City to avoid the parking madness.
Event warmup:

Just some stretching, focusing in my ITB. When the gun went off, it was another 15 minutes to the starting line because of all the people.
Run
  • 2h 08m 24s
  • 12 kms
  • 10m 42s  min/km
Comments:

I ran about 5 miles (including the Hayes St hill) with a couple stretch breaks, then started having ITB pain so I changed to a race walk. Did that for a mile or so then jogged a bit again (for the cameras) and realized how sore I was. At that point I changed to a medium paced walk and went to the nearest first aid station where I hung out for maybe 15 minutes with an ice pack. Walked the rest of the way in at a medium pace.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

ITBS, weight, endurance.

Event comments:

If you don't know about Bay to Breakers, it's kind of like a big party with running shoes on. Lots of people run in costume. I also saw a number of nude participants. They have a huge concert and festival at the end with lots of food vendors and sponsor booths.

Because of my ITB problems, this wasn't really a race for me. I was keeping a pretty good pace until I had to stop, though. I was only going for the fun anyway so I'm not heartbroken. I'm actually really pleased that I was able to run 5+ miles without much pain. Writing this afterwards, I'm pretty sore, though.

My legs were also pretty tired. I felt like I had a good amount of endurance left, but it's been a few weeks since I've done that kind of distance.

Last updated: 2005-04-29 12:00 AM
Running
02:08:24 | 12 kms | 10m 42s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/40000
Performance:
Course: From the Bay side of the SF peninsula over the Hayes St hill (11+% grade) and down to the Pacific Ocean on the other side of the peninsula.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-15 9:49 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Bay to Breakers 12k

2005-05-15 10:07 PM
in reply to: #157981

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Subject: RE: Bay to Breakers 12k
I'm a little jealous.  I have heard of this race because I lived in San Jose for a year, but I heard about it on the evening news...after it was over.  It looked like a great time.

Great job on running a tough course with a mild injury.  Anyone who's able to run through San Francisco has my respect.  Good job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bay to Breakers 12k Rss Feed