General Discussion Race Reports! » Santa Barbara Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Santa Barbara Triathlon - Long Course - TriathlonLong Course

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Santa Barbara, California
United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 04m 50s
Overall Rank = 485/754
Age Group = 25-29 Men
Age Group Rank = 46/57
Pre-race routine:

5 a.m. - packed up the car so my wife didn't have to when she woke up at 6. Grabbed my gear and rode my bike to the transition at 5:30. I should have brought a flashlight because it was pitch black and I couldn't see anything. Made some friends and got ready for the race.
Event warmup:

Went on a five minute jog to warm up. After I put the wetsuit on I jumped in the ocean for a little swim to get used to the water.
Swim
  • 31m 29s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Still trying to get used to the OWS and trying to get into a rhythm with my breathing and sighting. The water wasn't all that cold and the ocean was very calm, it was like swimming in a lake.
What would you do differently?:

I would push myself harder. This was my longest triathlon and I was worried to use a lot of energy during the swim. I also need to learn how to draft better.
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

I used socks this time because of the distance and I think it was a good idea because my feet felt great during the entire race.

Have shoes already on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 52m 28s
  • 34 miles
  • 18.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, I was worried about the run so I took it easy on the bike. I fueled well during the ride which helped me on the run. The course was beautiful, probably the most fun bike course I've done yet. The course was rough durning certain portions of the ride but it wasn't too bad. There were CHP's at almost every intersection stopping traffic which was great. Very well organized.

Push harder and train for the hills better. If a person is good up hills they can gain a lot of ground on the other racers.
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Transition was fine.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 36m 9s
  • 10 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm a horrible distance runner. This is my worst leg of the race every time. My legs were cramping but I pushed through. I walked durning the last couple of aid stations.

Train harder for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the food station and then got some more liquids in me. Stretched while eating.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My conditioning was not up to where it should be to perform well in a race like this. I wasn't too upset though considering that this race had a lot of good racers and that it was my longest tri yet.

Event comments:

This was the most organized and best triathlon I've done yet. The course was fun and was very organized. I'm looking to do better next year.

Last updated: 2009-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:29 | 1760 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 42/57
Overall: 316/754
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Course was easy to navigate - an easy rectangele.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:52:28 | 34 miles | 18.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 43/57
Overall: 433/754
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Hilly - I drove the course the day before and I knew it was going to be hilly. I trained for the hills starting about a month before and it helped because the hills weren't as bad as I expected.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:36:09 | 10 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 51/57
Overall: 596/754
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat for 2.3 miles then virtually uphill until the turn-around at mile 5. Aid stations at every mile. Great run along the ocean for most of it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-25 9:52 AM

New user

Irvine
Subject: Santa Barbara Triathlon - Long Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Santa Barbara Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed