General Discussion Race Reports! » Sweatin' for Strong Kids Outdoor Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sweatin' for Strong Kids Outdoor Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lincoln, Nebraska
United States
Lincoln YMCA Northeast
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 13s
Overall Rank = 9/29
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 3/10
Pre-race routine:

Made sure to hit the can a few times before leaving home. Ate a banana that went right through me. Had 3 Advil (BAD headache, neckache). Drank some grape G2 (yum), and smelled Rebecca and Joshua's biscuits and gravy from Casey's.
Event warmup:

Walked for 10 minutes and then stretched. I like to do this alone. Helps me get mentally prepped. Stretched outside a church building. Good alone time with God, too!
Swim
  • 09m 35s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Had a great swim. Couldn't believe my time, actually!!! Just starting to get down the proper form of the total immersion program, and is already paying off. Relaxed hand and arm in the water. Learning to use gravity to my advantage when rotating hips. Had a great time... and a great time!
What would you do differently?:

Be more focused throughout the swim. I worked on rotation, arm angle, pacing, etc., but not necessarily at the same time.
Transition 1
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Easy transition, since the run came after the swim. Left shoe went on easy, but I had to sit down to put on my right shoe. Not sure what to do about that--same thing happened at the Iron Horse.

Get shoes on without sitting down.
Bike
  • 33m 16s
  • 11 miles
  • 19.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Was a very spectator-friendly course... especially for friends and family who came (Cernys and Scheeles)! The uphill sucked every single time. The last uphill section, which came right before the finish, I passed a guy who had passed me on the run. Very satisfying to finish right ahead of him on the bike to "steal" third place!!!

More training leading up to the race. Hadn't had the bike out for a real ride in a few weeks.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

In this race, T2 came before the bike. Had a decent transition. They had a course official there trying to give me instructions as to how many laps to do. Was annoying. Tried to get on my bike while he was talking to me before I got out of transition. Had to dismount and then get back on at the start line.

Ignored the race official and stayed focused on the task at hand.
Run
  • 30m 37s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Walked the drink stations (2 of them), and a little right after the turnaround. Did much better on the hills than I expected to. Did NOT reach my goal of finishing the run in under 30 minutes, but did well nonetheless.

Train on some hills to prepare.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of one. Walked my stuff back to the van (about 1/2 mile). Hung out at the post-race party. Met some nice people.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need a broader run base. Not enough bricks ahead of time.

Event comments:

Very kid-friendly race. Had medals for everyone, as well as a value meal from Subway. Had kids' awards early on. Had sloppy joes, lots of fruits and veggies, and water bottles for the adults. No chip timing was frustrating, but this event was a fundraiser to help needy kids in the community receive scholarships to the NE YMCA. This one was for the kids!

Last updated: 2009-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:35 | 500 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/29
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:40
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:16 | 11 miles | 19.84 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: Did 10 laps around a 1.1 mile course. Course was rough, bumpy asphalt. Most of the course was flat, and one decent downhill followed by a deceptively steep uphill section for maybe 150 yards.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:37 | 03.1 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Course: Hilly course. Started out on a steep incline out of the parking lot. Then a decent downhill. Then a LONG uphill to 70th and Adams, and then continuing to climb east on Adams. A couple smaller incline/declines to get to the park, and then a gradual downhill out to the turnaround point on crushed white rock. Uphill to finish, including a short, yet steep, incline up a grassy slope to get to T2.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-29 10:17 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Sweatin' for Strong Kids Outdoor Triathlon

2009-08-29 10:43 PM
in reply to: #2378476

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Sweatin' for Strong Kids Outdoor Triathlon
I have a nice 6 miler with a few hills you can train on with me.    Good race and awesome swim.
2009-08-30 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2378476

User image

Veteran
Beatrice NE.
Subject: RE: Sweatin' for Strong Kids Outdoor Triathlon

Great job, Clayton.  You are a machine!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sweatin' for Strong Kids Outdoor Triathlon Rss Feed