General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running dilema Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-02 5:52 AM

User image

Regular
Baltimore, MD
Subject: running dilema
I finished my triathlon season (2 sprints and a oly) and am now into my marathon training for Marine Corps at the end of October.  This will be my second Marathon and my background is in running.  I have previously never had any issue with running or injuries but I have found that my long runs (16 last week) have really set me back.  I've been having lots of "pain in my butt"  or where my hamstring tendons attatch at my ishial tuberosities (sp?)

My program calls for 3 runs during the week (one usually temp or drill/speed) and then the long run on the weekend.  I've noticed that I really need 2 or 3 days after the long run to feel better and not be in pain.  Im torn between whether I should cut out a weekday run and do a swim or shorten the long runs for the next two weeks or so ensuring that I get the 4 days of running in.  Quality vs quantity I guess. 

Any thoughts?  Anyone have a "pain in their but" before?  I've been trying to add yoga to help with the stretching but the pain still remains for at least 3 days after a long run.  

Thanks in advance

2009-09-02 7:52 AM
in reply to: #2384277

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: running dilema

It seems a bit counterintuitive to cut back on your long runs and add another short run when you're training for a marathon.

How fast did you ramp up to 16 miles? 

Are you pushing your pace too much on your long runs? 

Mark

2009-09-03 12:59 AM
in reply to: #2384410

User image

Regular
Baltimore, MD
I think I probably jumped my mileage too fast.  I had only been doing 3-5 and then started off with a 12 miler one week and then 16 the next.  My pace is pretty easy (usually around 8:30-9) where as my Half-marathon pace is around 7:30.  I ran 5 today and it felt great but again I took 2 days off from running and swam and did yoga instead.  I just feel like I can keep taking days off like that.  But Im slated for 18 this weekend so I guess I'll see how I feel after this one.  

2009-09-03 5:00 AM
in reply to: #2384277

User image

Expert
Canada
I had the "pain in the butt" a couple of years ago.  

I think I had piriformis syndrome.

Google it & see if it matches your complaints.  It might give you some advice.  I suspect you will need to rest it for a bit, maybe temporary cross training.   If you continue running hard & it gets worse, it will be very difficult to finish your marathon.

Anyway, good luck. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running dilema Rss Feed