General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Maintenance ?... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-02 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: Bike Maintenance ?...
After riding down at the beach, there is some sand on my bike and in the crank, etc?  Is there anything in particular i need to do?

My tri is at the same beach in a couple of weeks.

2009-09-02 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2385608

User image

Regular
Maynard, MA
Subject: RE: Bike Maintenance ?...
You should clean and oil your chain.  Its also a good idea to do it every 200 miles or so.  There is a good video on how to properly clean and oil your chain. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

2009-09-02 8:17 PM

User image

Chicago
I actually just rode my bike through some real bad trails the other day and use a t2 oil (I think) that actually just made it fall off. My bike was covered in mud but my chain was pretty darn clean. Just a thought
2009-09-02 8:24 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

I keep a rag, oil and degreaser in the car... frame gets a wipe down after every ride (not that it always needs much)

I keep an eye on the chain/cassette and after a wet/messy ride the whole bike/chain and cassette gets a good looking at with water etc at home if needed

If its just the chain is a bit messy it gets a very gentle run through if covered in gunk, a bit of a grease if needed.

Based on how its looking functioning the chain gets a full clean and regrease - usually more often in winter and less in summer...

Just keep and eye on everything but if its dirty a good clean of the chain is best... especially pre race.. everything just runs smoother and lasts longer if you look after your chain!

2009-09-03 1:20 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
You should rinse off your bike after each ride (or at minimum every week if the road is nice a clean/dry). Then you need to clean and grease your chain, each ride... this will keep the drive train not only function for the moment, but also in the long run as it saves the wear on chain, cassette and chain rings.

At least once each year (or twice depending how much you ride), you should take the bike apart, clean everything and grease it... headset, crank, bottom bracket, front/rear derailleur, brake pivot points, brake pads (do not grease these!), shifters, and replace cables (if needed, but cheap enough to replace each year...).
2009-09-03 8:36 AM

User image

Modesto, California
I wipe my frame down and clean and oil my chain every ride, it takes less than ten minutes,I look at it more as a pre-ride inspection. Almost every ride someone asks me if my bike is new, I just laugh, most bikes in the group I ride in you can't even guess what color they are! Sand can get in areas you cannot see, just ask anyone at a bike shop, you cant stop it but you can minimize it, hose it down,let it dry, a few light bounces to knock water out,oil, and your done!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Maintenance ?... Rss Feed