General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pulled hamstring -- advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-19 7:32 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Subject: pulled hamstring -- advice?
I very recently changed my running style from...well it looked like I was marching, very stiff, to a more fluid almost-Pose-like-but-not-quite style. Focus on mid-to-forefoot strike, kicking higher, foot strike directly under my body, etc etc. Have seen immediate gains in speed and the ability to keep it up over longer distances. And, I pulled my hamstring.

It's a sharp, debilitating pain when I run or extend my knee fully and put weight on it, but I can walk it out. It came on Sunday and I mistook it for a knee problem, it was so sharp. The lingering soreness convinced me it was hamstring, but I thought I was over it. Today, same story as Sunday. Started out great, was really cruising, felt great....12 minutes into the run, pain, stopped to stretch and got right back up to speed. 19 minutes in, I had to stop and limp home, crying in pain.

So. My questions are:
1) How long do I rest this thing and can I bike while I'm recovering? I do use clipless pedals if that makes any difference (I know it distributes the workload some to the hammies).
2) What causes this? Muscle imbalance? The change in running style? How do I prevent it?
3) Could the steep pitch to the roads I run on (my left side is always significantly lower than my right, outside of the left foot lower than inside) be a contributing factor? I've run on them for 9 months now, and never had such problems.
4) The dreaded hilly first-ever Oly (2nd ever tri) is less than 4 weeks out now. I keep looking for an excuse to pull out of it because I'm scared to death. I'll be OK to participate in it as long as I don't keep reinjuring the hamstring, right?

And before you ask, I did get new shoes, exact same ones as my old shoes -- Brooks Adrenaline (serious stability). The old shoes were way dead, which I think contributed in part to this joy. Also, I stretch pretty religiously after I run or bike.

I am so down and depressed. Sorry to ramble at you guys but I am really in pretty bad mental shape right now...have not had good workouts all week, and now this. Thanks for listening, and any advice.

Edited by madeye 2005-05-19 7:38 PM

2005-05-19 8:55 PM
in reply to: #160347

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: RE: pulled hamstring -- advice?
Ahhh the pulled hammie! Yikes, wicked painful. I've had many of these of varrying degrees throughout my life. usually during baseball season. My experience has been in my case it was caused by too little stretching and then either explosive movements, liking sprinting from a dead stop, or the over use type pull.

Rest is required. Ice helps in the initial stages, and I always used ibuprofin. My trainer also used to wrap the hammie with ace bandages, I'm not sure if it did anything other than help my walk a little bit. The problem is it's the type of injury that you really can't tell if it's fully healed until you try it out at live speed. Unfortunetly if it's not healed fully you re-aggravate the injury.

Take your time, and before any use take extra time stretching out the hammie. If you think you've stretched enough stretch for another 5 minutes. Also stretch after your work out.

Good luck and my sympathies. At least it's not a pulled groin, talk about PAIN!
2005-05-19 10:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Niagara Falls, Ont

Been there, done that. Got the t-shirt.

Three things to do to fix it:

1)A.R.T.

2)A.R.T.

3)A.R.T.

Find a Active Release Practicioner, pay the $$, and get fixed up. Cured me in two treatments!

(your results may vary)

2005-05-19 10:31 PM
in reply to: #160390

Regular
Jackson, MS
What is a Active Release Practicioner?
2005-05-19 10:44 PM
in reply to: #160405

User image

Veteran
Greenville, NC
10sToTri - 2005-05-19 9:31 PM

What is a Active Release Practicioner?

Newfangled myofascial release dude. Fancy massage technique sort of combines trigger-point, deep tissue massage and chiroporactic. Might be worth a shot. A good physiotherapist might be just as good. Wrap it, massage it, stretch it. While an ART person might get rid of the pain, a physio is better qualified to help you learn how to prevent it happening again, teaching you about technique, ways to train in a more balanced way, strengthening exercises, etc. for me, problems like this always turn out to be more complex than the basic ouch. Some biomechanical problem underlies my own injuries, and combined therapies are usually the only way to get it totally sorted out.
2005-05-19 10:46 PM

Elite Veteran
I have no advice to offer; just that I had one once and I know they are a pain. Can you substitute eliptical training for your running until you heal up?

Regardless, hope you heal soon!

2005-05-20 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
Montreal
Hey there.
I pulled a hamstring a while back doing speed work.
I figured out tha thte hamstring was also responsible for a knee problem I was having.
The only thing I could do was rest and stretch. Now I stretch after ever run, both hamstrings and calves. There is a yoga stretch which is really good for this http://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/warehouse/yogastretch03fi.htm
That link is a picture of the stretch I am not recommending the book.
Chances are your quads are in much better shape than your hamstrings. When you can you should also consider doing some stair work (go into a public building and climb the stairs).

You are 4 weeks out. For some people that is the start of taper anyway so you are probably already as fit as you were going to be for the race. All you have to do is maintain your current level. So relax a bit. Recover first worry about competing later.
If you can do bike work do it to keep your aerobic capacity.

Good luck.
2005-05-20 8:55 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Thanks all.

I am going to ask my local running store today for a good sports doc or PT or somebody to go see. My own doc tells me, every time, "Overuse. Rest." which is useless advice ultimately unless I intend to rest permanently. Gotta fix the underlying issue, not the acute issue.

Thanks for the advice on the massage, too...I'll also check into what we've got around here for that.

The calendar says the race is actually 3 weeks and 2 days out. I had intended to taper for a week...not three. My biggest worry is like ASA22 said -- can't tell it's healed till you get out there and try it out. Guess I'll just substitute swimming, and add cycling back next week and just see how it goes. Argh! This Type A does not like unscheduled things!!!
2005-05-20 10:49 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Been there, done that.

I pulled my hammie doing a speed workout 3 days before a sprint tri last year. I rested completely for the 3 days. I went to the tri anyway because it was my first ever half mile swim and I figured that would be a victory just to do that. But, for some reason I brought all my bike/run stuff anyway. I guess I felt like I just had to. So, I set up my transition area, do the swim (and was all elated about finishing that.) I'm packing up to call it a day, and said, "hmmm…maybe I'll give the bike a try. The hamstring's feeling a bit better." So, I get on and just pedal easy. Hilly course, but I just used my granny gear and didn't get up out of the saddle at all. Strange, but I was actually passing a lot of people going up the hills - I thought there must be something to this faster cadence that Lance uses. So, I finish the ride and start packing up to call it a day, and said, "hmmm…maybe I'll give the run a try. I can always walk." So I started running easy, and never stopped till I crossed the finish line. I couldn't believe it. I was hobbling around prior to the race, but the hamstring just seemed to get better and better as the day went on. Wasn't a great finishing time, but there were a lot of finishers after me.

I don't know how your injury compares. Obviously, my injury wasn't that bad. But my point is, give it some rest - few days? Week? Concentrate on swimming during that time. Then resume your biking/running, but GO EASY. If you feel like you're on the verge of that pain, back off. You do have plenty of time for your race. And don't try to make up for the lost time. I've found I've had some of my best races when I've been forced into a layoff. It gives all your muscles, ligaments, etc. a chance to heal and rest.

Best of luck with it. Don't back out. It'll be worth it.
2005-05-20 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
WV
As far as questions 2 & 3, hamstring strains can be caused by a muscle strength imbalance, muscle fatigue, or high muscle tension. The new running style you are trying to adapt may actually be the culprit. Running style is based on your on how you body is put together and has adapted to the stresses you have placed upon it. By trying to force your body to adapt to a new running style that may not be in tune with your body makeup, the body can break down easier due to the new forces placed upon it. Rest, Ice, Compression is the best....but light workouts with no pain can also be done. I would agree....get the massage.

Good Luck. This is just a little bump. You will do awesome.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » pulled hamstring -- advice? Rss Feed