United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 44s
Overall Rank = 441/13506
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 83/1116
Pre-race routine:

8oz. Hornet Juice/water, and 1/2 Powerbar Endurance. (This proved to be too little food for me.
Event warmup:

Parked car .5 miles away. Walked to event area, did a light jog back to car and back to event for the start. (1 Mile jog).
Run
  • 1h 34m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

The "heat" got to me today. I just felt that I wasn't going to have a good race right from the start. It wasn't negative self-talk it was just me being honest with how I felt. I held my desired pace for as long as I could and even put in another surge to try to get my time back in line to finish Sub-1:30. But, it wasn't meant to be and my energy just wasn't there from start to finish
What would you do differently?:

I ended up having both my calves cramp up while waiting for my friends to finish. It was so bad that it took me 30 minutes to walk back to my car .5 miles away! I have never experienced this before and I am quite certain it was lack of hydration from the prior day and poor energy/gel consumption the day of. Also, I'm not really sure if my 1/2 Marathon in Madison 2 weeks prior affected how much I had left for this event.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing really unless you count the 30 minute duck walk back to my car a warm down. I had nothing left once I finish. Waiting around instead of staying mobile and loose was my biggest mistake.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Energy was down, poor hydration prior to race day.

Event comments:

Very, very well run event. Definitely one of the gems of the Chicago racing scene.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-12 12:00 AM
Running
01:34:44 | 13.1 miles | 07m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 83/1116
Overall: 441/13506
Performance: Below average
Held a 6:52/mile pace for first 6 miles, then trailed off for 2 miles. During Mile 9 I got the pace back down to 6:50, but couldn't hang on and I lost it from mile 10 onward.
Course: City streets. 1st 3 miles go through Hyde Park, then North on LSD, turnaround then Southbound to mile 10 of course. Last 3.1 miles through Hyde Park (lots of spectators and cheering crowds). Very well maintained course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-09-14 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
Subject: Chicago Half Marathon

It was tough, tough, tough out there!  So many people were having a ball though, so I'm really glad I got to participate this year.

Edited by eddievolly 2009-09-14 10:33 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Half Marathon Rss Feed