Bagel, Transition Set-up, GU, Water
Event warmup:

Swim, Stretch
Swim
  • 17m 28s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was really cold for me...had trouble finding my normal breath and getting in a groove during the first lap, the second lap was much better.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Good T1 although I dont think I'll know the exact time.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 12 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I FORGOT MY CAMELBAK IN THE CAR!!!!! UGH!! 2 miles into the ride my water bottle fell out of my back pocket....to my surprise looping back atthe end of the ride THERE IT WAS!!! WooHooo Water!
What would you do differently?:

DONT FORGET CAMELBAK
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 4 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather

Last updated: 2005-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:28 | 880 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless Wetsuit
Course: 2-Lap Swim (1st Time)
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 54F / 12C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 12 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Hills, bike was NOT ready for racing....tons of ghost shifting, not enough air in my rear shock...although I still had a good time. Tough Course!
Wind: Little
Course: Gravel, Hills, rocky single track and fire roads. Tough Course.
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 04 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Huge Hill first 2 miles, flat and downhill after that!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-22 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Jersey
Subject: Xterra-King of the Hill Triathlon

2005-05-22 9:30 PM
in reply to: #161433

User image

Regular
Malibu, California
Subject: RE: Xterra-King of the Hill Triathlon
To anyone else who did this--I need some info on training for a race like this. Today was my first tri. I am 19 and I think I did about 1hr 45mins today, but my biking was horrendous. I'm sure many of you saw me on the course as I would ride up a hill and than proceed to crash because my feet were still clipped to the damn pedals. I need some advice on training for off road tris. I'm probably going to be running about 80 mpw this summer, but what about biking and swimming what should I do and how often. And I surf too, I plan to surf a whooole lot, probably at least 3 times a week...is this a good enough subsitute for swimming? I'm also posting this on the main forum. The course was a .5 swim, a grueling 12 mile bike ride where I kept wiping out and eating it cause my bike sucks and so do I at riding it, and a pretty short run of supposably 4 miles. It seemed kinda short, but I dunno...maybe that was because I was delirious. The reason I'm running so much is because I run Collegiate XC in the fall and gotta prepare for that, but tris are just too sick to pass up. Thanks.
2005-05-23 10:33 AM
in reply to: #161433

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Jersey
If your new to clipless pedals, try setting the tension to its lowest spot. That way you'll be able to get your foot out before you fall. The trick is just riding as often as you can until you get comfortable with the pedals. As you get more comfortable add tension. As far as training, you can follow any of the training plans here but instead of riding road hit the dirt...mtbiking is fun but its like skiing, you need to find your best line and make sure you dont look where you dont want to go. Other than that, pedal hard through obstacles (rocks, logs etc...) shift to your most optimum gear early Up and downhills included.....keep at it Good Luck.
2005-05-24 9:10 PM
in reply to: #161741

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
I need more details about your race. I'm thinking of doing the Xterra in Macon GA in June and I'm not a good MTB rider. How technical was the trail you rode on. Was the main obstacle just uphills? More details please.
2005-05-25 8:17 AM
in reply to: #162872

User image

Regular
Malibu, California
For myself not being the greatest of MTB riders I'd have to say it was pretty tough...lots of climbing, but that wasn't really the bad part, if it was flat terrain than I coulda been right up there with the leaders...it's just the rocks. Man do I hate rocks. They were everywhere and for someone not used to that kinda stuff--it was a bit rough. Very rough. Running was real easy--one hill, at least on our course.
2005-05-25 9:53 AM
in reply to: #162872

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Jersey

I actually had hoped it would have been more technical. It was primarily hills, some sections were technical, like rocky climbs and some nice descents with switchbacks. But, overall it was climbs. I would check the course map for the Xterra in Macon, Ga and ride or walk it prior to the race or registration. That way you'll familiarize yourself with the course and you can determine whether it falls under your ability to ride it. Although, please keep in mind that any section you feel you cant ride you can always get off your bike and run through it.......Good Luck!

2005-05-25 11:40 AM
in reply to: #163106

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
Thanks for the replies! I'm thinking of making a trip to Macon to see what the trail looks like. And I may have talked Tbilll into doing the race with me.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Xterra-King of the Hill Triathlon Rss Feed