General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip Pain running Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-19 5:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Hip Pain running
I posted this in "Traithlon talk" but did not get any suggestions.  So here goes again:

My training includes running four or five times per week averaging four to just under five miles per run.  My pace varies from 7:45 minutes per mile to 8:45 minutes per mile.  I wear Mizuno Wave inspire 5 shoes with orthotic inserts that were selected and fitted by a local Fleet feet manager. 

I do not feel that I am running too hard or too fast, however I have recently started to have some soreness in my right lower hip muscle. The soreness is about four inches below my belt line, directly to the side, slightly wrapping around towards my buttox.   I would describe the point tenderness as a pinching feeling that radiates outward.

For the past couple of weeks the soreness has not gone away completely on off days, however it does seem to flair up during and after runs and even a little after biking and swimming.

Should a take some time off from running, just shorten up the distance or slow down?

Funny when I think about it, can't hardly go shorter than 4.5 miles or slower than 8:45's.  Guess I should take a few days off?

Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks in advance,

2009-09-19 10:08 PM
in reply to: #2415472

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Subject: RE: Hip Pain running

Hip pain can be pretty complicated to diagnose/treat (I've been dealing with it for almost a year now).  But, based on the location, it sounds like yours could be bursitis?  If it is, I believe it can sometimes be successfully treated via injection.  Probably worth a trip to a sports med doctor.

2009-10-05 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
MKAH, did you end up reducing mileage or simply cut running?  I'm in the same boat at the moment and not sure which is best...

Brian
2009-10-06 8:23 AM

Do you feel a popping on the inside when you raise your knee? If so, you prob have really tight hip flexors (like me). If there is a popping on the outside of the hip socket, you prob have a really tight IT band (also like me).

Based on my experience w/ hip pain (and it'd hard to tell if you're issues are the same as mine), the pain can be due to tightness in the hip, and weakness in the glute mead and glute max. I'd stretch a ton (http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipFlexors/KneelingHipFlexor.html) , maybe foam roll the hip, and potentially try this routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GLrKr54yA0

Like the other post said, hips are complicated, so I have no idea if this will help you

2009-10-06 9:15 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Could be IT band or bursitis.
2009-10-06 1:24 PM

Regular
Hi,

I too am experiencing a lot of hip pain. I have had this for about three years and it is really frustrating. The chiropractor I go to does a lot of massage and is going to try grasting the area. He says that I have a large knot there. My hip pain doesn't change a whol lot with or without running. I have tried both ways.

Good luck to you.

Kendra

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip Pain running Rss Feed