General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Graves & Diabetes, but fighting back Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-09-01 7:24 PM

Bonney Lake, WA
Subject: Graves & Diabetes, but fighting back
I am 33 y.o. teacher, and have been diabetic since 25. This year I have been fighting Graves Disease as well, but I am on the upswing. I am cleared to exercise, but definitely have plenty of soreness in my back and knees, which I have never had before. I am shooting for a Sprint in July, so I am starting my training early with just jogging (using the walking and jogging plan listed on this site). I am 5.11 and 185, but have been as low as 170 and as high as 195 in the past 2 months (Graves). I want to fight what they say is the inevitable weight gain with Graves recovery, and have made some lifestyle changes. I will need to purchase a bike, and find a pool, but was anxious to get started. Oh, I am also looking for a good, inexpensive wetsuit. Any words of advice or encouragment would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by M2TC 2003-09-01 7:24 PM

2003-09-02 9:06 AM
in reply to: #621

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: if u don't mind...

educate us about graves disease.  kudos for fighting back!  we have much respect for u.  as far as advice...keep going and listen to your body.  we're here for any ?'s along the way.

glad to have u here!

2003-09-02 3:52 PM
in reply to: #624

Bonney Lake, WA
Subject: RE: if u don't mind...
Just a repeat message.

Edited by M2TC 2003-09-02 3:55 PM
2003-09-02 3:54 PM
in reply to: #624

Bonney Lake, WA
Subject: RE: if u don't mind...
Graves disease is a thyroid issue. Most people who have thryroid conditions don't have enough thyroid, well, with Graves Disease you have too much. It gave me uncontrollable hand tremors, weight loss, restelessness, inability to sleep, irritability and several other symptoms I don't care to list. Well, I just finished radiation that effectively killed my thyroid, so now I am with that other group of people who don't have enough. Not having enough is much easier to treat than having too much though, so this is definite improvement. Both hypothyroidism (not enough) and diabetes can dramatically lower your energy levels though, and so oftentimes I fight my own desire to just sit around. There's no cure for diabetes (yet) and once your thyroid is dead it doesn't grow back, so I might as well make the best of it. I'm going to be this way for a while.
2003-09-02 5:44 PM
in reply to: #621

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Graves & Diabetes, but fighting back
You can count on us for support! We all are usually fighting some type of battle, maybe not anything like yours, but we all are fighting to prove something to ourselves. Thanks for sharing a portion of you story! And hang in there.

Still Tri'n
Michael
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Graves & Diabetes, but fighting back Rss Feed