Uphill Productions
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 22m 8s
Overall Rank = 19/48
Age Group = 35-39 Male
Age Group Rank = 4/9
Pre-race routine:

We pre-rode the bike course the day before the race. My background is bike racing - primarilly mountain bike racing - and this event was an off-road triathlon. I'd ridden this trail a couple of times before, but the course was being run in reverse of the normal direction. The trail wasn't technical, but was very rocky and rough, and had a lot of really tight, slow sections. It's the kind of course that you can put out a whole lot of energy and not really go all that much faster than just taking it relatively easy. I decided at that point to just ride smooth and comfortably on the bike and come into the run as fresh as possible.

We got to the venue around 7:00 am with plenty of time to set up. Quite a few folks I knew were doing the event, so I spent a lot of time talking and catching up with folks. Put on my wetsuit and googles and got into the water just in time to be called back out of the water for the start.

Event warmup:

Not much. I did a bit of stretching. I planned to use the swim as a warmup for the bike.
Swim
  • 34m 12s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

I'm still learning a lot about swimming and am pretty slow. My goal with this race was to stay calm, stay on course and get some practice swimming and transitioning in my wetsuit. The start was a really rocky beach that entered into a rocky and slick lake. The horn went off and I picked my way into the water and started my swim. It took a few hundred meters to shake out, but I was able to maintain my pace and my stroke and didn't freak out. Navigation was good - I stayed on course the whole time. Second lap felt better than the first as I wasn't fighting for position. My wife was a 'puller' at the end of the swim, helping folks up onto the beach - so it was a nice bonus to finish the swim and get great words of encouragement from my wife, like "that's ok honey - you can catch them all on the bike!"
What would you do differently?:

Just keep swimming. I'm getting better, just slow. It'll come around eventually.
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Got out of my wetsuit quicker than expected. Took some extra time to put on gloves as I knew my hands would be slick and the course would require pulling up on the bars quite a bit. Decided to skip the socks, which would come back to haunt me. Ran the bike out of transition, hopped and and starting having fun.

Put on socks.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 3s
  • 14 miles
  • 9.76 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal on the bike segement was to finish with all my skin intact, to ride smoothly and to enter the run with my legs as fresh as possible. I set a comfortable pace and began passing riders where I could. There was a sprint-distance race going on at the same time as our full distance going on at the same time as our full distance one, so it was hard to gauge how many people I was actually passing in my race. Came into the transition area for lap 2 to find my wife had been redeployed as a bike course marshal. I was greated with further words of encouragement such as "pedal faster!". Second lap was better as I started to get more comfortable on the bike and there was less traffic as the sprint race folks were clear of the course.

Not much. I could have went a bit harder, but pacing will come with time.
Transition 2
  • 00m

Put on socks.
Run
  • 1h 19m 19s
  • 10 kms
  • 07m 56s  min/km
Comments:

I entered the run feeling good and managed to pass a few folks during the first couple of miles. My pace was good and my breathing was controlled. It was very hot, especially in the open grass field section, but I tend to handle the heat well so I was ok. I hit the trail feeling good.

Shortly into the trail, I knew I'd made a mistake not wearing socks. The dirt had gotten into my shoes, and the technical nature of the course had my feet rubbing around a lot. It was like sandpaper and I'm a tenderfoot. My achile's heel area on both feet was rubbed raw, and I could literally feel the blisters growing in the arch area of both feet as well. I was going to stop in transition and put on socks between laps, but once I hit the grass I felt better so I kept going. Big mistake. I finished the grass loop and hit the trail for the second time and I just couldn't handle the pain. My legs were ok, but every step was painful. I stopped running and started walking, the stopped walking and started hobling. Only thing I wanted to do was get the shoes off and my feel in some cold water. It wasn't fun to get passed by a ton of people, either.

Wear socks. A few extra seconds in transtion would have made my run 20 minutes faster and not had me walking like an old man today.
Post race
Warm down:

Cleaned my feet and put on some neosporin. Drank some fluids and ate a lot of cookies. Rehashed the race with my friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Foot problems.

Event comments:

The race was very challenging and a lot of fun. I plan to be back next year, with socks!

Last updated: 2005-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:12 | 1500 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 35/48
Performance: Average
Suit: Promotion Sleeveless
Course: 2 laps around a triangle shaped course in a lake.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:26:03 | 14 miles | 9.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 10/48
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 2 7 mile loops over a rough, rocky mountain bike course. Not a lot of climbing or really technical sections, but a tight, twisty course that required attention.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:19:19 | 10 kms | 07m 56s  min/km
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 29/48
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops around an off-road course. First part of the course was through a grassy field. Second part was a full-on trail run with lots of of camber stuff and twisty turns.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-23 1:41 PM

User image

Austin, Texas
Subject: Dirty Tri XTerra

2005-05-23 1:49 PM
in reply to: #161896

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Dirty Tri XTerra
Great job! I think the X-terra stuff is WAY more challenging than on-road courses..I did a trail 1/2 marathon this year and barely finished, when I was easily running the distance on the road in training. Hope your feet heal!
2005-05-23 4:38 PM
in reply to: #161896

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Dirty Tri XTerra
Great job in the XTERRA! They are quite challenging! Hope your feet are feeling a bit better and heal up soon.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dirty Tri XTerra Rss Feed