Memphis Hightailers Bicycle Club
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 47m 22s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:50 am. Ate a bowl of oatmeal with a banana and wheat germ. Aired up the bike tires and loaded my bike and necessary gear into the back of my car and left the house at 6:50 am to make the 40 minute drive downtown.
Event warmup:

Nothing too fancy. I rode a few laps around the parking lot to make sure nothing was rubbing, gears were shifting okay and everything was good to go. I ate a banana before rolling out for the ride.
Bike
  • 3h 47m 22s
  • 62 miles
  • 16.36 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't really have a game plan going into this ride. I just wanted to do the distance and see how it goes. My legs were a little stiff and sore from a Zone 3-4 one hour relay run at the Tour d'Esprit last night. I rode out easy for the first 10 miles, keeping my power numbers low and holding a Zone 2 to Zone 3 effort. As my legs warmed up and got into a biking groove, I picked up my pace and effort, moving into Zones 4 and 5 and pushing my power up into the 250's. This ended up being a very good ride for me. I was very happy with my average power for the ride and my overall effort - about a 8 out of 10 effort on a scale of 1-10. The only fluids that I took in during the ride were from one of two large bike bottles on my bike that I had filled with HEED electrolyte solution.
What would you do differently?:

I could have probably picked up my pace sooner during the first 10 miles, but I was concerned about blowing up later if I went out too fast. I should have probably taken in more water at either the SAG stops or from the water that I had on my bike. I didn't have any dehydration issues, but more water would have been better than less.
Post race
Warm down:

I rode a couple of easy laps around the parking lot, grabbed 3 chilled bottles of ice water from the finish line aid station, packed up my bike and drove home to meet my family for lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I felt like I had a very good ride coming off a hard 7.5 mile trail run last night. If I had not run, I may have biked a little faster with fresher legs.

Event comments:

This was a fun event. It was the 4th year for the Bluff City Blues ride. I left with the impression that it was not quite as well organized as it has been in years past. The number of participants also appeared to me to be down from previous years. As a Memphis Hightailer member, last night, I received a mass email to the membership from the ride director who in need of more volunteers for this event. The SAG stops appeared to me to be well staffed with volunteers and stocked with a good variety of snacks and drinks. The course was well marked with light vehicle traffic and was a good mix of flats, rollers and hills. Performance wise, my power output was up considerably over what it was on this ride last year. It goes down as a good day for me.

Last updated: 2009-09-28 12:00 AM
Biking
03:47:22 | 62 miles | 16.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Avg. HR 135 bpm, Max HR 172 bpm. Avg. Power 233 watts, Norm power 250 watts, TSS 722.9 (Intensity Factor 1.389).
Wind: Little
Course: The route started from the Mud Island River park in downtown Memphis and headed northeast to Shelby Forest, then north to points beyond. There were a few rolling hills, a few steep hills and many low grade ascents or descents. Much of the route was shaded, especially when moving through Shelby Forest, where most of the hills are located.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right