General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swallowing water Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-06 6:28 AM

User image

New user

chattanooga
Subject: swallowing water

As I have started doing longer distances, I feel like I am drinking half of the pool by the time I am done...I mean I literally feel my stomach full...its crazy!!!  So my question is this, what is the best technique for not swallowing to much water?  For example, how should I position my head when coming up for breathe, (down and back, sideways, upwards???)  How should my body be positioned so I get my head further out of water?  Any and all advice would be much appreciated!!

Sincerely,

The Human Water Filter

2009-10-06 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2444607

User image

Veteran
Lewisville, nc
Subject: RE: swallowing water
Let me begin by saying... gross! All kidding aside, I actually have that issue every now and then, and it usually happens when I start getting a little tired and lazy with my form. If it starts to happen, I usually devote a little more concentration to really extending my reach - trying to make myself as "long" as possible in the water, and rotating just a little more. That usually solves the issue for me.
2009-10-06 7:32 AM

User image

Champion
MA
I don't know the answer but you need to learn to avoid it. In longer races swallowing water during the swim is a big reason folks get sick on bike or run.
2009-10-06 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Agreed this will hurt you in races big time, potentially getting you very sick (freshwater nasties) or dehydrated (salt water).

If some water gets in your mouth you should not be swallowing it.  Spit it out.  But generally speaking very little should be getting in.

I'd recommend you NOT try to over-rotate to fix this problem (i.e., get your head out of the water more).  Lifting your head will cause your legs to drop which is a MAJOR reason people lose their hydrodynamic (fast) form.  Overrotating will effect the power and efficiency of your stroke too.

Proper form has you breathing "in the pocket" that is created by your head right in front of your shoulder.  For some swimmers this is actually below the waterline.

2009-10-06 8:41 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
Agreed with above post. Learn to breathe "in the pocket" as they say. If you get a little in your mouth, you will learn to breathe out and spit out any water at same time (oh its an art . I would say to really try to focus on this for 5-10 laps on your warm-up and cool down every time. Every stroke. Really really focus on it. You should be able to do it with one goggle still in the water...if you can't do that, you are doing something wrong with your form.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swallowing water Rss Feed