General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » newbie needs training partner Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-09-02 6:58 PM

Arlington, MA
Subject: newbie needs training partner
Hey Everyone! I am aiming to do my first sprint distance in June of 2004. I am in fairly decent shape from some serious biking but I dread the running part of the training! Thus far, I have spent the two months trying to build a base through walking/jogging and have built up to running comfortably for about 20 minutes continuously at an easy pace. This is quite a feat considering when I started I wanted to die after the first two minutes! I have many friends who are marathoners and they have all recommended finding a partner to train with who is at a similar level.

Any recommendations on finding the perfect training parter so we can help eachother through those rough spots??

Thanks in advance!

2003-09-03 8:19 AM
in reply to: #637

Augusta, GA
Subject: RE: newbie needs training partner
Hello and welcome...I'm a newbie here, too. I'm in charge of a woman's triathlon team...and everyone is at a different level. To start out with I'm going to put people into teams of their own fitness level..and let them work their way up the "ranks". For me...I hate running (love biking and swimming...but HATE running). I enjoy running more when I have a partner there...someone to keep me motivated. It's even better for me, though when I have someone else to motivate. I prefer to run with people who are within my range...it's hard to train with a marathon runner (for me) because, let's face it, they'd blow me away.

I'm a triathlon beginner, too...but, my suggestion is to find someone that you feel comfortable with, who can keep you motivated and who is within your skill level. For added advice and such...find someone who can help coach you both...someone more experienced. That's about all I have to offer on the subject =) Hope it works out for you. If you want to chat or anything (about being newbies or training or whatever) please contact me.

Ruby
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » newbie needs training partner Rss Feed