General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spin off from Indoor trainer thread / question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-16 9:28 AM

User image

Champion
PA
Subject: Spin off from Indoor trainer thread / question

This was my first year in tris and I loved the bike.  Since I was just training to complete distances for my first OLY, I found that I became slow but very strong.  I biked lots of steep hills and did lots of 1-2hr rides to prepare for the tri and attempt to lose weight.

At one point in my training, I read about cadence being important.  I manually counted and determined that I had a low cadence (roughly 65-70) and lots of torque.  I attempted to speed that up but it felt very strange and I decided not to make a radical change that close to my event.  Now that I have lots of time to experiment, are there bike plans which are designed to develop/improve a person's cadence? 

1.  I ordered a Cat Eye and I do see some of the workouts on my current plan reference certain RPMs but I'm wondering what else there is to it? ie, are there cadence based workouts I can do?

2.  Is a powermeter the only way to determine what RPMs are optimal for each person? 

3.  Is there a generic RPM range I should shoot for right now?  I've seen everything from 85-120 so should I shoot for something in the middle?

2009-10-16 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2462990

User image

Master
Beijing
Subject: RE: Spin off from Indoor trainer thread / question
Well, ya gotta go with what's comfortable, or at least tolerable, so that you don't loathe your training.

I read on Sheldon Brown that higher cadences are more "friendly" for your knees.

I think "biopace" cranks are supposed to ease knee stress on slower cadences.  
2009-10-16 9:48 AM
in reply to: #2462990

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Subject: RE: Spin off from Indoor trainer thread / question
Pector55 - 2009-10-16 8:28 AM

This was my first year in tris and I loved the bike.  Since I was just training to complete distances for my first OLY, I found that I became slow but very strong.  I biked lots of steep hills and did lots of 1-2hr rides to prepare for the tri and attempt to lose weight.

At one point in my training, I read about cadence being important.  I manually counted and determined that I had a low cadence (roughly 65-70) and lots of torque.  I attempted to speed that up but it felt very strange and I decided not to make a radical change that close to my event.  Now that I have lots of time to experiment, are there bike plans which are designed to develop/improve a person's cadence? 

1.  I ordered a Cat Eye and I do see some of the workouts on my current plan reference certain RPMs but I'm wondering what else there is to it? ie, are there cadence based workouts I can do?

2.  Is a powermeter the only way to determine what RPMs are optimal for each person? 

3.  Is there a generic RPM range I should shoot for right now?  I've seen everything from 85-120 so should I shoot for something in the middle?

I would say acceptable is 75+. If you think your cadence is really as low as 65 on average I probably would monitor it and try to get it up to 75. I would not worry much beyond that. Your body has a way of selecting its naturally efficient cadence. There are fast/strong riders with high cadences and low cadences. I also don't think it makes one bit of difference in triathlon run legs either.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spin off from Indoor trainer thread / question Rss Feed