Rochester, New York
United States
Arthritis Foundation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 395/663
Age Group = Male 30-34
Age Group Rank = 22/40
Pre-race routine:

Completed the highlander bike ride the day before my first marathon.
Event warmup:

just walking from parking lot to race start
Run
  • 4h 52m 50s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first attempt at a marathon and really had no idea what to expect. The weather played a factor as it was hot and humid. We started the race holding about a 9 min/mile. This felt pretty good to start the race. Mile 2 hey look there is a gorilla, high five to the gorilla and off we go. Mile 3 Charlie asks a volunteer to hit him with water and the kid literally throws the cup at his face. I think I laughed about that for the next 5 miles. We ran down east ave from downtown to fairport and then hoped on the canal path that was going to take us back downtown. At the half way point I looked at my watch and we were at 2 hours, wow if I can break 4 hours for my first marathon that would be awesome. Mile 14, hey it’s the gorilla again, another high five and off we go.

Mile 15 we walked the aid station and my legs were no longer happy to be running. I told them it would be okay so long as they get me the last 11 miles into downtown, then they can take a break. Unfortunately, when we hit a hill a mile later the cramps started and I had to walk up the hill. From here I was implementing a run-walk strategy where I would run until the cramping became unbearable then walk until it went away. As the race went on the running became less and the walking became more. Charlie looks at me and tells me how stupid I am for running my first marathon after the Highlander bike tour yesterday. I laugh and push on.

About mile 20 I told Charlie to finish the race and I will see him at the finish line. Mile 21 is near my house and I debated going to lay on my couch, but no I pushed on. I mostly walked through Genesee Valley park and tried to push the run as much as I could but at this point it was not very much. The heat and humidity were really brutal at this point and I could not get enough water at the aid stations to quench my thirst. Still I kept pushing until finally I got to downtown. In front of me I saw a man running barefoot in just his boxer shorts. I thought to myself, no way am I getting beat by a barefoot boxer short wearing guy. So I pushed the last mile and finished strong. Then nearly collapsed at the finish line and went and laid down in an ice bath.

Afterwards I grabbed some pizza and it was the best pizza I every had. I asked where it was from and the volunteer told my Dominos! Really? Anything must taste good after a marathon.

Post race
Warm down:

sat in an ice bath. This was the best idea.

Last updated: 2008-06-23 12:00 AM
Running
04:52:50 | 26.2 miles | 11m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 0/663
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]