General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-29 7:23 PM

User image

Boulder, CO
Subject: Shoulder Pain
Hi - I have had little twinges of pain in my left shoulder that began when I was monkeying around in the climbing gym. It went away but has reared its ugly head now that I have decided to bump my swimming up. I will make an apointment to see a doctor next week but I am wondering what others have experienced in the area of shoulder pain and roatator cuff injuries. My biggest fear, of course, is that I won't be able to swim... I'll do what I have to do, I just hope that we can pt this ache away...

2005-05-29 10:32 PM
in reply to: #165284

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Subject: RE: Shoulder Pain
No particulars since shoulders can be tricky.... but one thing for certain, ...

PT begins with Rest and Recovery... basically, in most injuries simular to what you have mentioned the start of recovery begins with stopping any activity that may result in re-injury.

The old R I C E method really works... it just that you can't pick and choose which part of RICE you wish to adhere to... nope, unfortunately... they work as a group in order to be effective.

Perhaps the hardest part of injury recovery is for a compulsive behavior that is common with athletes is to actually stop or making drastic changes in training. And, yet this is most crucial aspect of recovery and healing.

Good Luck...

FWIW Joe Moya

Edited by Joe M 2005-05-29 10:33 PM
2005-05-30 7:23 AM
in reply to: #165284

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Subject: RE: Shoulder Pain
I had rotator cuff surgery twenty years ago and I can still get some pain here and there. What I have found helps to keep the shoulder in check is to make sure it is strong. Sometimes people workout one part of the shoulder while neglecting the other and the imbalance can create pain when in use. I found this site. www.smiweb.org/guides and I have started to do some of their shoulder exercises and I find them to be quite beneficial.

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder Pain Rss Feed