General Discussion Race Reports! » The North Face Endurance Challenge - Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The North Face Endurance Challenge - Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Madison, Wisconsin
United States
North Face
37F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 49m 21s
Overall Rank = 74/534
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 11/65
Pre-race routine:

This race starts at 10:00am, which makes the pre-race routine rather nice. Wake up and eat at a reasonable time and no rushing to the race.

Breakfast was peanut butter, banana, and honey on toast and coffee.

Temperature was in the mid-30's (too early in the year for this stuff). Dressed in light-weight tights, long sleeve light-weight tech shirt and a heavier tech pull-on.

I arrived at the lake at 9:20am, just as they were opening up an extra field for parking as the 50-K and 50-mile racers started earlier at 6:00am and 8:00am, respectively.

It was cold getting out of the car and the wind was moderately strong, which tempted me to overdress. I hate being cold. The rains from earlier in the week had me opting for my trail shoes, but I left the rain jacket and hoped it wouldn't start raining.

Ate a gel 10-minutes before start.
Event warmup:

Ran a mile. Felt good for the race at this point.
Run
  • 1h 49m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Although I might do a few fun 5k or 10k runs, this is my last half of the year and I wanted to run this hard. I had nothing left in the tank at the end, which was a good feeling and a good way to end the year.

Time this year was 1:49, which beat my time from last year's race (2:02:04) by 12 minutes.

The first 8k felt really good and seeing a bunch of friends who were volunteers at the 10k aid-station helped.

But, then I had some problems. I don't train often for these types of events and it showed on the hills after the aid-station. I worked on changing my stride to match the terrain but regardless, the hills really beat up my legs and runners began to pull away. There was one worrisome period at around mile 7 where my legs were just toast with a very dead feeling. Really felt bad (low energy) at this point and so ate another gel with water. Luckily, my stride came back and I began to catch some racers. I never did catch the group I had run with the first 10k, but I suspect they were better runners than me anyhow.

I notice my foot speed dropped from a 176 average in the first half to a 170 average in the 2nd half. My average speed also dropped and the 2nd half was slower by 2:15 minutes. This bothers me a little because I really like to hit negative-splits (or even-splits). Also, my coach, Dwight, said to make sure and go out slower in the first two miles or so. I figured (on my own) at the start that I could run 30 sec/mile faster on the road part and then planned to slow it down once I hit the woods, which of course I didn't do. I need to listen to him better and really need to follow the race plan.

What would you do differently?:

Slow down in the first two miles.

Change shoes. I wore my Asics Trabuco trail shoes, which were good for the course but they really hurt my feet toward the end. Not good shoes for me anymore and I'd wear regular running shoes or get a different pair of trail shoes the next time.

The Polar footpod wasn't really accurate on these trails because of the hills, I think. This threw off my pacing a little, but only a little as I paced well by RPE. Next time, though, I'll wear the GPS.
Post race
Warm down:

My wife and three girls surprised me at the finish line. Didn't know they were going to be here today, which makes it even better. I guess my cool-down were hugs all around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training on harder trails. I don't train often for these types of events and it showed. Need more long hilly single-track trail runs.

Event comments:

I like this event. The trails are not too technical, which is good for a road racer. Starts on time, enthusiastic volunteers at the water stations, and most of all - a modestly challenging trail through a nice forest.

Last updated: 2009-08-29 12:00 AM
Running
01:49:21 | 13.1 miles | 08m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/65
Overall: 74/534
Performance: Good
Course: First half-mile was on roads and on to the woods and an immediate climb up a good size hill. In fact the course is mostly small hills, one right after the other, with a few straightaway sections. That's to be expected. This is the Kettle Moraine in Wisconsin so none of the hills are a problem; its just that they keep rolling on and on. This course can get a little soupy in spots but wasn't too bad considering the rains earlier in the week. Only a few muddy areas with standing water. Watch out for the piles of horse dung as its a popular riding trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-25 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
Subject: The North Face Endurance Challenge - Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The North Face Endurance Challenge - Half Marathon Rss Feed