General Discussion Race Reports! » 2nd Zêzere Long (B) Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2nd Zêzere Long (B) Distance Triathlon - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log
Pedrógão Grande, Beira Litoral
Portugal
Camara Municipal de Pedrógão Grande
20C / 68F
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 16m
Overall Rank = 38/54
Age Group = SnM
Age Group Rank = 27/35
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 6am and had breakfast at 6.30am. Went to the second transition area to leave my running shoes and an enegetic gel. After that I prepared my bike and went cycling to the first transition area (3Km downhill)
Event warmup:

around 10mins cycling at low speed and some gymnastics before swimming
Swim
  • 55m 26s
  • 2500 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swimming part was really great. The water was really clean and transparent. I maintained a very steady and relaxed pace.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Took my time. Had some trouble to remove the wetsuit but haven't lost so much time after all. I went off the transition area running with the bike and with my cycling shoes in my hands because there was a 50m difficult climb which I couldn't do on the bike. Heard that many of the athletes did the same.
Bike
  • 3h 33m 43s
  • 78.6 kms
  • 22.07 km/hr
Comments:

My first two laps were done in a time around 1 hour but my last lap was really bad, especially the last hill. Til the end of the second lap I remember to left behind 5 athletes and in the last hill 3 of them left me behind again. The cycling times include both transition times (around 6mins total)
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again I took my time putting my shoes on and grabbing an energetic gel and a bottle of water
Run
  • 1h 46m 51s
  • 20 kms
  • 05m 20s  min/km
Comments:

It took me at least 1Km to adapt my legs to the run, but after that I maintained a steady pace til the end. Left behind a few athletes and never stopped til the end.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

The difficultie of the cycling segment. I'm pretty sure that with a flat cycling course I would have done way below 6 hours

Event comments:

It was my first long distance triathlon and I was able to smile at the finish line. I really feel good about it. This was also the national championship of long distance triathlon so I'm proud to be classified in the 38th position :)
I forgot to put sun lotion and I have some parts of my body a bit red... I never thought this could happen, especially because only for some brief moments the sun showed up and because I never suffered of it.. but there's a first time for everything I guess. This will count as a lesson learned.
The pics show the cycling profile from the first transition area til the end of the first lap, an image of the dam where the swimming took place and another where it's possible to see the road that was the beginning of the cycling segment

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:55:26 | 2500 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 33/35
Overall: 49/54
Performance: Good
Suit: Aquaman
Course: The swimming segment was composed by 3 laps of 825m plus 25m from the last buoy til shore. It took place at the dam in the picture below. The start was inside water and floating
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:33:43 | 78.6 kms | 22.07 km/hr
Age Group: 33/35
Overall: 46/54
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: The course was composed by a connection of 2.6Km to a 3 laps circuit of 25.1Km and with another connection of 0.7Km to the second transition area. This segment was very difficult. The total acumulated climbing was 1650m!!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:46:51 | 20 kms | 05m 20s  min/km
Age Group: 26/35
Overall: 35/54
Performance: Good
Course: The course was done in a 5 laps circuit of 4Km and it wasn't completely flat. Two small hills turned it difficult especially on the final laps.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-30 1:28 PM

User image

Regular
Twickenham, London
Subject: 2nd Zêzere Long (B) Distance Triathlon

2005-05-30 4:46 PM
in reply to: #165538

Elite Veteran
Subject: RE: 2nd Zêzere Long Distance Triathlon
Congratulations on your 38th place finish! The swim looks beautiful from the photos, but I'm not sure I could take 55 minutes of it!

Great job; especially given the difficult bike course.
2005-05-30 6:11 PM
in reply to: #165609

User image

Regular
Twickenham, London
Subject: RE: 2nd Zêzere Long Distance Triathlon
lynda - 2005-05-30 9:46 PM

Congratulations on your 38th place finish! The swim looks beautiful from the photos, but I'm not sure I could take 55 minutes of it!

Great job; especially given the difficult bike course.

Thanks... It was really difficult... during the third lap on the bike I was really desperate... and in the last hill I could use more gears if had them... ehehehe
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2nd Zêzere Long (B) Distance Triathlon Rss Feed