General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Debilitating butt pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-12 5:46 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Subject: Debilitating butt pain
I need some help here, guys & gals.  For about the last month, I've been dealing with some really intense butt pain, that is concentrated smack in the middle of my left glute.   The last week or so, the pain seems to be getting worse.  It feels muscular, but I can't be certain.  I don't know what else is back there in terms of ligaments, tendons, etc...hence, the reason I'm thinking it's muscle pain.  Initially, I thought it was piriformis syndrome...and it could still very well, be that.  It hurts to run, walk, sit, go up stairs, squat, bend over, do any kind of hamstring exercise or stretch...basically ANYTHING that requires me to contract or stretch my gluteal muscles.  Ironically, biking does not seem to aggravate it nearly as much as everything else does. 

Is it possible to pull a glute or piriformis muscle?  And how would I know if it is indeed, a pulled muscle versus something like piriformis syndrome?  How will a doctor be able to accurately diagnose something like this?  Is it just based on information that I give him/her regarding the location of the pain, and the activities I do?  Furthermore, I'm not even sure what TYPE of doctor I should go see.  A sports med doc?  A physiatrist?  A physical therapist?  I'm afraid that all they will have me do, is stretching and strengthening...which I've been trying to do on my own to no avail.  Infact, I'm not sure what aggravates it more...stretching (I have very good flexibility, FWIW) or contraction of the muscle...either one causes sheer agony for me.  I'm starting to feel depressed and frustrated because this butt pain has become THE limiting factor in my workouts.   Any ideas on how to combat this or suggestions on doctors would be helpful.  Thanks!  

ETA - It should be noted, that I recently (month ago) swapped out the saddle on my road bike.  I have considered that the saddle might be a factor in all of this, but again...cannot be certain.   I switched from a Terry Butterfly Tri Gel (154mm) to a Specialized Phenom (143mm).  The Terry had a lot of padding...whereas, the Phenom is a rather firm, minimalist saddle. 

Linda

Edited by nscrbug 2009-11-12 5:51 PM

2009-11-12 6:36 PM
in reply to: #2511512

User image

Expert
Canada
Subject: RE: Debilitating butt pain
I had something similar about 2 years ago. Mainly unilateral butt pain.  Maybe mild nerve pain?  Did it after running fast with no warm-up.

I self diagnosed myself, probably foolishly, as Piriformis syndrome.

Could not run for about a month.  Strangely, an ellipitical did not hurt & I did that.  Eventually went slowly back into running & OK since.  I now do an obligatory warmup prior to speed sessions!!! 

Not sure if this helpful, but there it is.

Cool
2009-11-12 7:36 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Oh....sorry about your pain! I have had what you describe. There was no comfortable position to be in. I did indeed have piriformis syndrome........and found an awesome ART provider who left me black and blue but pain free. Try and find a good provider to get this fixed for you.

It has never re curred but I stretch pretty religiously now. There is a yoga pose called "smiling cow" of all things that is the BEST stretch for this area.

Good Luck!

Edited by aquagirl 2009-11-12 7:39 PM
2009-11-12 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2511629

User image

Expert
Canada
aquagirl - 2009-11-12 9:36 PM OThere is a yoga pose called "smiling cow" of all things that is the BEST stretch for this area.

Bit off topic, but to a non Yoga-person, I find these pose names greatWinkUndecidedInnocent
2009-11-12 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2511632

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
GoGoGo - 2009-11-12 8:39 PM
aquagirl - 2009-11-12 9:36 PM OThere is a yoga pose called "smiling cow" of all things that is the BEST stretch for this area.

Bit off topic, but to a non Yoga-person, I find these pose names greatWinkUndecidedInnocent

I do not KNOW why the cow is smiling!! Maybe because her butt does not hurt??
Who knows where they get these names??? 
2009-11-12 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I just Googled the "smiling cow face" pose...yikes!  Not sure if I can get into that pose, but I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.  Thanks! 

2009-11-13 5:46 AM

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd
Sounds like piriformis syndrome, I have the same thing. Stretching has worked the best for me. My PT tried to give me strengthening exercies to do, leg press 100lbs, and my response was "really, I leg press 300 at the gym?" So we just did a lot of stretching.

If you're strengthening on your own, that's good, that may help. Stretch works the best for me.

Good luck.
2009-11-13 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
I have been battling this issue since July.  I also recommend ART, it has helped me get back running but I am still not 100%.  Lots of stretching, icing and rolling with the foam roller has helped.  I also have an appointment with sports doc to make sure it isn't something more than piriformis where it has been ongoing since July.  I did take two weeks off from running but was able to do elliptical, swim, bike.  When I went back to running the intense pain was gone, now I have what I would call a "nagging" pain, can run but probably shouldn't.  Hope to find out more after my appointment.  I also do yoga and find the"dolphin" pose a good one for pirformis.  Good luck  and I am interested in what works for you?
2009-11-13 12:20 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
The other thing that helps is kind of like home made ART........roll your button a lacrosse ball. OUCH. It will hurt like the dickens but it does help. It gets to the spot a little better than a foam roller can. My ART provider actually sells lacrosse balls for this purpose.
2009-11-13 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2512706

aquagirl - 2009-11-13 1:20 PM The other thing that helps is kind of like home made ART........roll your button a lacrosse ball. OUCH. It will hurt like the dickens but it does help. It gets to the spot a little better than a foam roller can. My ART provider actually sells lacrosse balls for this purpose.

Tennis ball works well too. If I place it under my glute just right, it hurts so good...and really helps relieve the tension. Stick it under where it hurts, relax over the ball til you can't stand it, then ease up, and relax again, etc.  

2009-11-13 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Thanks for the tips, everyone.  I found a chiro in the next town over, that is certified in ART...I will be giving him a call to make an appointment.  According to his website, he places a lot of emphasis with working on athletes...he has actually been on the medical staff at Kona, for several years.   So I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do for me. 

As I stated in my first post, I do stretch...religiously everyday.  I do lots of hamstring, hip, and lower back stretching...mainly because those are my "trouble" spots.  I do a variety of yoga poses in my stretch routine, including - downward-facing dog, pigeon pose, dolphin pose, garland pose, wide-angle seated forward bend, bound angle pose, and a few others...so I do have very good flexibility. 

I will try the tennis ball rolling again...I used to do the tennis ball thing a lot, but got lazy and stopped.  I do also use the foam roller at my gym, but they are pretty beat up (flat spots all over them) and I probably should look into getting one to use at home. 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the ART will do for me, what it has done for many of you.

Linda

2009-11-13 5:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota, Florida
nscrbug - 2009-11-12 6:46 PM I need some help here, guys & gals.  For about the last month, I've been dealing with some really intense butt pain, that is concentrated smack in the middle of my left glute.   The last week or so, the pain seems to be getting worse.  It feels muscular, but I can't be certain.  I don't know what else is back there in terms of ligaments, tendons, etc...hence, the reason I'm thinking it's muscle pain.  Initially, I thought it was piriformis syndrome...and it could still very well, be that.  It hurts to run, walk, sit, go up stairs, squat, bend over, do any kind of hamstring exercise or stretch...basically ANYTHING that requires me to contract or stretch my gluteal muscles.  Ironically, biking does not seem to aggravate it nearly as much as everything else does.

Is it possible to pull a glute or piriformis muscle? Yes. 

And how would I know if it is indeed, a pulled muscle versus something like piriformis syndrome? See someone trained in how to evaluate orthopedic and/or neurological injuries. Doctor, certified athletic trainer, or a physical therapist.

How will a doctor be able to accurately diagnose something like this? Is it just based on information that I give him/her regarding the location of the pain, and the activities I do?  Yes, and more than that. When a doctor takes a history of your injury they often have a pretty good idea of what the problem is before laying a hand on you.  Physical testing can rule out nerve involvement, and muscle testing to isolate different muscles should really narrow it down. 

Furthermore, I'm not even sure what TYPE of doctor I should go see.  A sports med doc?  Preferably.  A physiatrist? Dunno. I don't know any, so I'm not sure how they operate. A physical therapist?  Yes, but only if they have good experience with sports injuries.  One that works primarily in geriatrics or pediatrics will see a whole other type of injury or illness.    I'm afraid that all they will have me do, is stretching and strengthening...which I've been trying to do on my own to no avail.  Infact, I'm not sure what aggravates it more...stretching (I have very good flexibility, FWIW) or contraction of the muscle...either one causes sheer agony for me.  I'm starting to feel depressed and frustrated because this butt pain has become THE limiting factor in my workouts.   Any ideas on how to combat this or suggestions on doctors would be helpful.  Thanks!  
Another great choice,
if you can find one (for the general public I think they usually work out of PT clinics) is to find a certified athletic trainer (ATC).  Their primary training, although by no means their only training, is in athletic related injuries, and as a triathlete I'd say you fall under that umbrella.  Their disadvantage is that they work under the direction of a physician, and can therefore not order xrays, MRIs, etc., so if you need further workups like that you'd have to find a doctor to get a script for that.  For the evaluation & rehab, though, they can really help you out.

ETA - It should be noted, that I recently (month ago) swapped out the saddle on my road bike.  I have considered that the saddle might be a factor in all of this, but again...cannot be certain.   I switched from a Terry Butterfly Tri Gel (154mm) to a Specialized Phenom (143mm).  The Terry had a lot of padding...whereas, the Phenom is a rather firm, minimalist saddle. 

Linda
2009-11-30 8:07 AM

User image

New Haven, CT
Go see your doctor.  I herniated my L5/S1 this summer and it manifested as lowere butt, right leg pain.  Thought I had ITBS.  Good luck.
2009-12-01 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2535469

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
jsklarz - 2009-11-30 8:07 AM Go see your doctor.  I herniated my L5/S1 this summer and it manifested as lowere butt, right leg pain.  Thought I had ITBS.  Good luck.

Well...I already have a different problem with my L5/S1...it's more of a spinal deformity, though.  I have spondylolisthesis, which is a vertebral slippage.  I've had it nearly my whole life, and have also dealt with severe sciatica in my right leg...however, this butt pain feels very different.  I've also begun noticing a small bit of swelling...it's hard to detect, but I can notice it if I am in certain positions...like a really deep squat and I peek through my legs, I see that the left side of my butt is noticeably swollen right near the ischial tuberosity.  I'm almost thinking it might be ischiogluteal bursitis.

Edited by nscrbug 2009-12-01 8:29 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Debilitating butt pain Rss Feed