General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Could this be runner's knee? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-11-25 5:35 AM

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd
Subject: Could this be runner's knee?
I've started having pain at the top of my knee cap, it actually feels like something is popping or catching when I run, especially down hill. I have some pain when I press on it, too. If I have my knee straight I don't have pain.

I'm taking the rest of the week off from running, I'm debating about swimming or biking though. Any thoughts?

2009-12-16 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2530554

Extreme Veteran
Washington
Subject: RE: Could this be runner's knee?
Bump for relevant to my interests.

I'm having an 'ache' in the top medial part of my knee.  Nothing I can call pain, but an ache when my knee is bent (like when I'm sitting down).  It doesn't bother me when I'm standing.

I don't have any pain when I press on it though.
2009-12-16 12:13 PM
in reply to: #2561673

User image

Expert
CenTex
I have found that when I feel something "catching" in my knee, it has been diagnosed by my ortho as torn meniscus.  If it's minor, I've run through it until it reaches the point that I have to have it repaired/removed.

Can't say that's what is going on with you (or OP) but that's what it was for me.

Good luck.
2010-01-03 11:57 AM

User image

NH
OP - sounds like runner's knee.  Does it hurt going up/down stairs?  I'd recommend a visit to either an ortho and/or an ART practitioner.  I'd do both because when you have a hammer everything is a nail (ortho's tend to look at things as being fixable with ortho treatments).
2010-01-03 4:32 PM

User image

Okotoks
Yes... I think you may be right.  Runner's knee is from overuse, increased mileage, biomechanics and or/tight quads.  Runner's knee could also be confused with chondromalacia or patellar femoral syndrome.  All conditions require rest.  Ice and compression may help as well.  Really try to loosen up your quads.

It is always good to seek professional advice from someone you trust if things get worse.

Good Luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Could this be runner's knee? Rss Feed