Twin City Track club
40F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 43m 36s
Overall Rank = 158/813
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 24/56
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6 and had my usual English muffin with peanut butter and honey. Sipped on a Gatorade.
Event warmup:

Jogged a little bit and tried to stay as dry as possible.
Run
  • 1h 43m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a tough run both mentally and physically. I was pushing myself and the nasty weather wasn't helping. I started out a little fast but looking at the splits from the Garmin I was fairly consistent with my pace. It was a tough run but I still managed to beat my goal of 1:45. My lungs are definitely not happy with me right now. They took some abuse with that cold wet air.
What would you do differently?:

I probably should have held off a little bit over the first three miles. I think that would have helped me out mentally later in the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Wait the wife and training partner to finish and cheer them through the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training volume.

Last updated: 2009-11-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:43:36 | 13.1 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/56
Overall: 158/813
Performance: Good
Course: Nice course with a few steep hills and gradual climbs especially between miles 6 and 10.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-12-06 6:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Colfax, NC
Subject: Mistletoe Half Marathon

2009-12-06 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2544853

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Subject: RE: Mistletoe Half Marathon
yesterday's race was my first mistletoe. It was fun. My lungs were also not happy because of the weather. Until you mentioned the moist cold air, I never realized the impact that can have on the lungs.

John
2009-12-06 2:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Colfax, NC
It was my first Mistletoe as well.  But not my last.  It's a nice race to end with before Christmas season starts.

I've run the course route several times in the past few weeks but yesterday was just down right tough.  I did 10 miles out there a month ago at race pace and felt so much better than yesterday so that makes me that much happier that I made it through it as well as I did.  But I'm paying for it today!  A little bit of a cough and a lot of sore leg muscles!
2009-12-07 3:07 PM

It was my first Mistletoe and I finished right behind you (1:44:19).  I'm familiar with running that area so I thought that would be an advantage.  Surprisingly, the rain didn't bother me much.  I too ran faster than I planned and was really paying for it in the end.  Running up the hill in Mile 9 (Reynolda Gardens) really did me in.  My legs are still aching today. 

I had a great time and will definitely include it in my annual holiday planning!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mistletoe Half Marathon Rss Feed