BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2010 Molly's Mentor Group - IS ALL FULL UP (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2010-04-02 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2556063

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Subject: RE: 2010 Molly's Mentor Group - IS ALL FULL UP (CLOSED)
March's totals:
Bike:7h 21m
Run:12h 13m 49s  - 79.65 Mi
Swim:5h 38m  - 12400 Yd
Strength:54m

Tania, that is a nice bike!!  Enjoy!

2010-04-02 6:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
I recently started increasing my long runs- my most recent was 9.5 miles. At what point should I consider eating on the run? I am going to run a 25K in May and I know I should start practicing the eating and drinking part to see what works, but when is it considered long enough to do that? Thanks.
2010-04-02 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2765821

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
zachkoe - 2010-04-02 6:19 PM I recently started increasing my long runs- my most recent was 9.5 miles. At what point should I consider eating on the run? I am going to run a 25K in May and I know I should start practicing the eating and drinking part to see what works, but when is it considered long enough to do that? Thanks.

I know for me personally, If my run is going to exceed an hour, I wear a fuel belt that has one bottle of water and one bottle of gatorade.  I tend to sweat a lot and feel I need to have some gatorade with me.  If I know my run is going to be pretty long, say >10 miles, I have a gu shot as well.  You can find all kinds of packets of gus, gels, and powerbars ect.  Find which one you like and use those for training.  You definetely don't wan't to try something new on race day as it might mess up your stomach. 

Just a note on eating the gu shots...make sure you drink water after you ingest a gu or gel.  The consistency is like pudding and tends to "stick" around in your mouth...yuck.

Lastly, everyone is different when using water, electrolyte drinks, and/or nutritional shots during training.  IMO, if your run is exceeding over an hour, I would have something on hand. Smile
2010-04-04 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2765821

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
zachkoe - 2010-04-02 4:19 PM I recently started increasing my long runs- my most recent was 9.5 miles. At what point should I consider eating on the run? I am going to run a 25K in May and I know I should start practicing the eating and drinking part to see what works, but when is it considered long enough to do that? Thanks.

I would say anything under an hour run should be water only. You really don't get the benefit of sports drinks for anything under an hour. If your run is over an hour, I recommend alternating between water and a sports drink whether that drink is gatorade, HEED or something else. Hammer products and gels usually recommend consuming 1 about every 40 minutes. If it is just running without the other 2 events, I would say a hammer gel or gu before the event (about 30 minutes) and then alternate between water/sports drink at each aide station which is usually about 1-1.5 miles apart and consume a gu or gel at about the forty minute mark and every 30-40 minutes thereafter. Again, nutrition is  a VERY personalized thing and you have to find what works for you. My food/fuel consumption for an ironman and half ironman are VERY different than what is posted here. 
2010-04-04 11:43 AM

User image

Toronto
I have a question on increasing distance. I normally run about 5.5 kms at a time. If I want to build on that, they say to increase 10% at a time so that is about half a kilometer. Is that 10% a week? If so, do I run the extra at every run so I would be running 6km each run?
2010-04-06 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2767486

Regular
North Wales, UK
Hi Everyone. Sorry I have been awol. I was getting really discouraged about a month ago with repeated injuries, etc. The very good news is that I have put a pair of OTC insoles in my shoes (running and biking), got a good bike fit and seem to doing really well on the injury front. (I hope to get custom insoles but there is a wait to see the podiatrist). I avoided the forums for awhile and just concentrated on building a base.

My sprint is in less than 5 weeks. I figure that gives me less than 4 weeks to train up. I am so slow, about 11mph on the bike and am running  10-11 minute miles. I live and train in the mountains, but my events are also in the mountains. The swim in my first tri is in a pool and 400m, so for me going a normal pace or a super fast pace will be negligible. Even if I get faster in training, and even if I go faster in race day I will come in nearly last if I go by the times from the past few years. 

But....I figure there is a lot of life in this sport and for year 1 I will just finish. I'm really going to concentrate on biking these next few weeks. 

Edited by mhoerger 2010-04-06 10:48 AM

2010-04-06 11:42 AM

User image

Toronto
In addition to my previous question on increasing distance, I have another...

I have started cycling with clipless pedals and I got a very good quality of shoe. Yesterday I noticed pain while riding on the outer part of my foot toward the middle front. Could this be how my cleats are set up on the shoe or how I am pedalling. I noticed when I pull up more, it doesn't hurt so much. Any thoughts? Any recommendations on how to cycle with clipless pedals?

Finally, I am just figuring out the gears on my bike (I have 10) Is there a rule of thumb or do I got with what feels right?
2010-04-08 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2771416

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
For the biking question I would tell you, get a good bike fit. Make sure your clips and everything are aligned. It makes a huge difference in your efficiency on the bike and if you are experiencing pain it could account for the pain as well. You'd be amazed how a few centimeters can make a huge difference. Find a good local bike shop that you trust and make sure you're fitted properly to the bike. If you've already done that, it could be the shoes. If they are too small, your feet may swell during your ride and the shoes may be compressing your feet. This sucks especially if you just bought the shoes or paid lots of money for them. Maybe you could try a different pair of shoes to see if it's the shoes. Those are my thoughts. 
2010-04-08 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2771198

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
mhoerger - 2010-04-06 8:46 AM Hi Everyone. Sorry I have been awol. I was getting really discouraged about a month ago with repeated injuries, etc. The very good news is that I have put a pair of OTC insoles in my shoes (running and biking), got a good bike fit and seem to doing really well on the injury front. (I hope to get custom insoles but there is a wait to see the podiatrist). I avoided the forums for awhile and just concentrated on building a base.

My sprint is in less than 5 weeks. I figure that gives me less than 4 weeks to train up. I am so slow, about 11mph on the bike and am running  10-11 minute miles. I live and train in the mountains, but my events are also in the mountains. The swim in my first tri is in a pool and 400m, so for me going a normal pace or a super fast pace will be negligible. Even if I get faster in training, and even if I go faster in race day I will come in nearly last if I go by the times from the past few years. 

But....I figure there is a lot of life in this sport and for year 1 I will just finish. I'm really going to concentrate on biking these next few weeks. 

Glad to have you back. For your sprint, don't worry about times or how fast you are going or not going.  I sincerely doubt you will come in last as there will probably be people who don't even finish. ANd so what if you come in last. As long as you have fun and accomplish some of your goals, you will have a medal showing you finished that lots of other people wont have. Try to set reasonable goals for yourself and set your mind to achieving them on race day. So if your goal is just to finish, then finish. If your goal is to not finish last, then finish better than next to last. Just remember to have fun, enjoy the day and take something away from the experience. You will be able to learn and apply it to your next race. Remember, finishing last is still better than the person that never started. 
2010-04-08 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2776590

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

molly@rosenblumlawlv - 2010-04-08 8:53 AM
mhoerger - 2010-04-06 8:46 AM Hi Everyone. Sorry I have been awol. I was getting really discouraged about a month ago with repeated injuries, etc. The very good news is that I have put a pair of OTC insoles in my shoes (running and biking), got a good bike fit and seem to doing really well on the injury front. (I hope to get custom insoles but there is a wait to see the podiatrist). I avoided the forums for awhile and just concentrated on building a base.

Glad to have you back. For your sprint, don't worry about times or how fast you are going or not going.  I sincerely doubt you will come in last as there will probably be people who don't even finish. ANd so what if you come in last. As long as you have fun and accomplish some of your goals, you will have a medal showing you finished that lots of other people wont have. Try to set reasonable goals for yourself and set your mind to achieving them on race day. So if your goal is just to finish, then finish. If your goal is to not finish last, then finish better than next to last. Just remember to have fun, enjoy the day and take something away from the experience. You will be able to learn and apply it to your next race. Remember, finishing last is still better than the person that never started. 

Congrats on getting back after it!  On finishing last or close to it --- don't worry about it!  My first two sprints I questioned myself as to whether I was ready or not both times because I didn't feel I put in the necessary training.  I was slow and guess what -- I finished happy and didn't come in last -- although I WAS down there!  :-)  Even if you finish last, guess what -- you are still a Triathlete!   

2010-04-11 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2776723

Regular
North Wales, UK
wkirbytri - 2010-04-08 3:25 PM

Congrats on getting back after it!  On finishing last or close to it --- don't worry about it!  My first two sprints I questioned myself as to whether I was ready or not both times because I didn't feel I put in the necessary training.  I was slow and guess what -- I finished happy and didn't come in last -- although I WAS down there!  :-)  Even if you finish last, guess what -- you are still a Triathlete!   

Thanks so much for you kind words. They do help a lot. I was toying with the idea of skipping the mountain sprint next month and waiting for a flat women's only sprint in July - but I'm just going to go for it. I am reasonably confident I can get around it. 

Do people stretch in transition? I did my first brick to day and got some cramping in my calves. It went away when I stopped to stretch, but I just wonder if this is common. Thanks.  

2010-04-11 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2783449

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Yes! Stretch in transition. I will usually do a quick calf stretch immediately upon exiting the water. There is nothing worse than cramping during the run. If you are cramping, likely you are not getting enough salt. Maybe play with your nutrition a little and increase your consumption of fluid/food on the bike so you have enough in reserve on the run. I remember reading once that the bike is the time to get your food on board for the run. Remember to practice with your nutrition and stretching is always helpful. Stopping to stretch out for a few seconds will be nothing compared to having to walk the run if you start to cramp. 
2010-05-09 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2783674

Regular
North Wales, UK
I did it! And had a really wonderful time. Thanks so much, Molly and the group especially for all the encouragement in February when things seemed rather dire.

I hope everyone else's seasons are going well.  
2010-05-15 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2846852

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
mhoerger - 2010-05-09 10:14 AM I did it! And had a really wonderful time. Thanks so much, Molly and the group especially for all the encouragement in February when things seemed rather dire.

I hope everyone else's seasons are going well.  

Congratulations on completing your tri!!!!!!  What a wonderful feeling that is.  You worked hard and overcame a lot of obstacles.  You should be so proud of yourself.  I hope this is one of many tris in your future.

I finished my first tri this past April and had a lot of fun.  It definetely has motivated me to sign up for future tris this summer.  Of course my next one will be an OWS and that has me nervous as heck.    Now or never right?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2010 Molly's Mentor Group - IS ALL FULL UP (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 13