BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2010-03-25 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2556227

User image

Salem
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED
x2

its been all too quiet.

2010-03-25 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
I winged a bunny on this morning's ride..........right before dawn.   Scared the bejesus out of me, probably him too!   He hopped away into the bushes.  
2010-03-25 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2747632

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seren - 2010-03-25 9:58 AM I winged a bunny on this morning's ride..........right before dawn.   Scared the bejesus out of me, probably him too!   He hopped away into the bushes.  

Poor poor Thumper.   Just kidding, that would have scared me too.  Glad you didn't wreck!
2010-03-25 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2744467

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dragonflyer - 2010-03-24 5:39 AM Ahhh-ever have that feeling like your arms are going to fall off?   Working out in the early morning is nice but sometimes !   When do you feel you get the best work outs--Morning, Afternoon or Nights?

I keep having the best laid plans for evening workouts get derailed.  Mornings are hard because they are busy so I'm thinking I'm going to have to get up at the crazy hours in order to fit it in without being too disruptive. 
2010-03-25 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2744469

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dragonflyer - 2010-03-24 5:41 AM Second question of the day (then I really need to get back to work) when swimming does anyone use flippers or hand paddles?  Benifits or Not?  well, maybe that's more than one more question.

I've used both.  The flippers I use on my kick sets because they would take FOREVER if I didn't.  I have a stronger kick than pull, so the hand paddles help me to strengthen my shoulders.  Also, the hand paddles exaggerate your stroke so its easier to feel the water and tell where you are off.  Not that I am Mrs. Swimsmooth or anything, that's just been my experience.

There I posted three times, so I should be good for another month right??
2010-03-25 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
OK - one more and then I'll go back to lurking.

Would you guys participate in a race if you knew your performance would be.... less than stellar.

I have the spring sprint on April 9th.  I can handle the swim and bike portions, but seriously I am in such rough shape I can barely handle running one little ole measley mile without having to take a walk break.  So if I did the run I would have to use like a 3:1 run/walk interval.  So I'm wondering if the race is even worth it.

However, I'm afraid if I don't do it, I will completely lose touch with training if that makes any sense, because there isn't another race here until August.

WWBBMGD?

2010-03-25 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2744469

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Dragonflyer - 2010-03-24 6:41 AM Second question of the day (then I really need to get back to work) when swimming does anyone use flippers or hand paddles?  Benifits or Not?  well, maybe that's more than one more question.

I use paddles and flippers (zoomers actually) during most of my swim workouts.  They are helpful when you want to isolate and work on a particular part of your stroke or to help strengthen your kick. They should not be used simply to make you swim faster and get more yardage into a workout as they will actually help to disguise problems when used that way. There are lots of resources for specific drills using paddles and fins on the swim sites (and here).  Try some.Laughing
2010-03-25 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2748430

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
"OK - one more and then I'll go back to lurking.

Would you guys participate in a race if you knew your performance would be.... less than stellar.

I have the spring sprint on April 9th.  I can handle the swim and bike portions, but seriously I am in such rough shape I can barely handle running one little ole measley mile without having to take a walk break.  So if I did the run I would have to use like a 3:1 run/walk interval.  So I'm wondering if the race is even worth it.

However, I'm afraid if I don't do it, I will completely lose touch with training if that makes any sense, because there isn't another race here until August.

WWBBMGD"

Well, to answer your question simply, yes.

I am going to be "racing" in about two weeks in what what will probably be the worst shape I have been in since I started racing last year.  So far this season I have managed to break two toes, get a small tear in the meniscus of my right knee, get the flu and now pneumonia.  This is all since Christmas. So the training has been less than stellar. I really want to do this race not for the sake of a great time, but more for the fact that it is a huge race in this area, I have a ton of friends doing it, the community supports it full force, and I registered for it before all the injuries occurred with the intention that it would be my first full marathon.  (i won't be running 26.2, i bailed on that and will be doing the 13.1) I want the experience so that I can get myself even more psyched up to do it at full strength next year.

Edited by gobluedds 2010-03-25 3:04 PM
2010-03-25 3:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
I try to enter as many of the local races as possible-if time permits.  Even if I don't as well as I like it still is training and you meet a lot of others who are in the same boat.  Thanks eveyone for the advice on flippers and paddles-going to give them a try.  Also, nice to see more post!!
2010-03-25 3:46 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Yes believe it or not I am still alive.  I get in a sore mood every time I go on BT knowing I can't log anything.  It seems that you guys are doing well.  I owe some people response, which I will get to later tonight or tomorrow.  The Syracuse game is on tonight, so I don't know how productive I will be.  As far as the injury goes, it hasn't gotten any worse, but not much better either.  I am going to give it the weekend to see how I feel, then I will call the dr again to get an MRI.  The other big thing is that it is now less than 8 months until IMAZ and have basically done nothing this year.  I will really need to get my butt in gear when I can work out again.  That's it.  Carry on.

2010-03-25 3:54 PM

User image

Salem
jesus blue, are you kidding me?  the fact that you've gotten ANY training in is seriously rockstar.  amazing job.  id have been curled in a ball, knees to chest, crying myself to sleep each and every night.

*inspired*

2010-03-25 4:06 PM

User image

Salem
boston beginner, im sure its easier said than done, but dont panic.  you've got a base already established and that just doesn't go away overnight.  even if you lose some of what you've built up, we all know muscle has memory and you'll bounce right back.

besides, even injured, you're still not as far behind as i am:

i haven't been in the pool in two weeks because there hasn't been a single free minute anywhere...so i still can't swim..

i haven't bought a bike yet, and its literally been over 10 years since ive been on one, nevermind the fact that ive NEVER ridden a real road bike..have never clipped into clipless pedals before..etc..

i just got my first outside run of the year in 5 days ago, and whatever they say about training on a treadmill for a road race IS A LIE. lol my calves feel like i haven't used them in 2 years..

WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS JOSH!  This is what the ironmans about: things going wrong.  Its about staying composed, and working with what you've got at any given time.  Like your promise to me, I'll make sure you finish in November...if i have to put you on my back, so be it...

7 months, 27 days be damned!  we're going to do this!
2010-03-25 9:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
I've got a 5 mile Shamrock Shuffle this Sunday--sore calf but brave of heart--it only makes you stronger!!  Josh, this ones for you!  (we are all behind you, heal fast my friend)
2010-03-25 10:27 PM
in reply to: #2748933

User image

Regular
Billerica
KidIcarus - 2010-03-25 4:06 PM boston beginner, im sure its easier said than done, but dont panic.  you've got a base already established and that just doesn't go away overnight.  even if you lose some of what you've built up, we all know muscle has memory and you'll bounce right back.

besides, even injured, you're still not as far behind as i am:

i haven't been in the pool in two weeks because there hasn't been a single free minute anywhere...so i still can't swim..

i haven't bought a bike yet, and its literally been over 10 years since ive been on one, nevermind the fact that ive NEVER ridden a real road bike..have never clipped into clipless pedals before..etc..

i just got my first outside run of the year in 5 days ago, and whatever they say about training on a treadmill for a road race IS A LIE. lol my calves feel like i haven't used them in 2 years..

WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS JOSH!  This is what the ironmans about: things going wrong.  Its about staying composed, and working with what you've got at any given time.  Like your promise to me, I'll make sure you finish in November...if i have to put you on my back, so be it...

7 months, 27 days be damned!  we're going to do this!

I nominate KidIcarus (I forgot your RN) for MOTIVATOR OF THE WEEK!!
2010-03-25 10:34 PM
in reply to: #2744467

User image

Regular
Billerica
Dragonflyer - 2010-03-24 5:39 AM Ahhh-ever have that feeling like your arms are going to fall off?   Working out in the early morning is nice but sometimes !   When do you feel you get the best work outs--Morning, Afternoon or Nights?

I workout usually 2-5pm late afternoons. I work 4-midnight so after work is out and getting up in the morning is not my strong point. I'm am trying to get better about getting up a working out in the morning because I used to have great workouts early morn but the shift I am on it is difficult.
This gets me to another question. 
Does anyone have any good advice on trying to acclumate to early morning races if you are not in the habit of getting up in the morning??
Sorry answering a question with a question.
2010-03-26 11:26 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
AlanaF - 2010-03-25 2:25 PM OK - one more and then I'll go back to lurking.

WWBBMGD?

I definitely would "race"  It's really you against you...really unless your an elite or pro.   Each time you do one you learn more, refine transitions, meet new people and have a fun day!   Go to see if your swim and or bike has improved from the last one.     Where are you anyway...Idaho or Alaska...I am a bit confused!  But I confuse easily!  

That's my 2 cents worth!

2010-03-26 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2749754

User image

Expert
Boston
scogz1 - 2010-03-25 11:34 PM Does anyone have any good advice on trying to acclumate to early morning races if you are not in the habit of getting up in the morning??
Sorry answering a question with a question.

I would do it like anything else.  Work up to it. Start 2 or 3 weeks prior to early morning race and get up 30 to 60 minutes earlier.  I find Just getting up at that hour is a feat unto itself.   Then as you acclimate to the time difference start to work out lightly.  Or you could just simply get up early the week of.... Of course working eves can be difficult coz it takes awhile to unwind once you get home.  

Of course caffeine helps too!   I plan on cutting caffeine the week prior so it gives me a boost on race day!
2010-03-26 5:14 PM
in reply to: #2750821

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seren - 2010-03-26 11:26 AM Idaho or Alaska...I am a bit confused!  But I confuse easily!  

Was Alaska, now it's Idaho in the winter, and Alaska for part of the summer.  I'm getting soft in my old age!  The problem is, I don't know WHICH part of the summer yet.
2010-03-26 10:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Can't stand it any longer!!!  Josh (The Big Boss) are you doing ok?  I am only 3 hrs from Boston--is it time to check up on you?  Or I could send my "Darling Daughter" who lives in Back Bay to check up on you.  Getting some worry time here--not hearing much from you--or perhaps it's time for a hostal take over of the group--did someone say? Coup?  The troops are getting wary--we are all looking for our leader!! At least the ones who are posting!!  You always said I am the mouth piece of the group-must come with age.  Am starting to realize as you get older, you get smarter, more set in your ways or just don't give a crap what anyone else thinks??  Can you tell I had a bad day yet?  Thank God for work outs-gets you back to earth once again--really Josh, I will make the trip to Boston if needed!  (thanks everyone for listening--off to bed, I have to get up at 4:40 am in order to get a work out in before riding my bike to work for 6am--yes, sometimes shame works!  In case noboday has noticed, it's time to get our collective butts in gear--the season is approaching rather fast!!   Snow on the ground and I've got a race on Sunday--sounds like fun, but only 5 mile run.--soap box is officially put away for the night--good night all!!!  ps--Josh I really hope you are doing well, my main intention is to bring some humor into your life, never intend to offend anyone--this is my disclaimer--once again, I like this group we are the very best.
2010-03-26 11:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT

WWBBMGD?

Hey Alana - as long as you don't think you'd cause a setback i would definitely do it. As long as you set your expectations, you won't disappointed and you'll be glad you did it. I did a few races last year where i had to walk some of the run. But the swim and especially the bike (off-road) were so much fun it was worth it. And as everyone else says, meeting some people and having fun after the race make it worth it as well.  Good LUCK !!!
2010-03-26 11:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT

WWBBMGD?

Hey Alana - as long as you don't think you'd cause a setback i would definitely do it. As long as you set your expectations, you won't disappointed and you'll be glad you did it. I did a few races last year where i had to walk some of the run. But the swim and especially the bike (off-road) were so much fun it was worth it. And as everyone else says, meeting some people and having fun after the race make it worth it as well.  Good LUCK !!!

2010-03-27 9:11 AM

User image

Salem

so i wore tri shorts on a run for the first time ever this week.  maybe y'all already know whats coming:

let me preface this post by saying i'm fairly conservative when it comes to how i dress.  thats not to say i wear polos and loafers, i just mean that i dont dress to draw attention to myself.  ive also NEVER worn anything remotely tight on my body before, nevermind so tight you have to wiggle to get into it... =P

i hope that its just an odd sensation for everyone at first and that eventually you embrace your inner spandex wearer.  maybe its moreso for the boys, but atm i can't imagine sporting a pair of those for 17 hours straight while exercising rigorously.  my run was only 30minutes long too.  i'll have to report back after im out there for longer.

and on a side note, im really not looking forward to my workouts stretching out long enough where i have to start considering 'buttering up' or whatever everyone calls it.  i came willingly into this sport right? ha.  how long of a bike ride or run does everyone feel that lubrication is required?

sorry if this post is file under 'too much information', but as a beginner, who else have i got to ask?  haha
2010-03-27 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2751941

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Dragonflyer - 2010-03-26 11:29 PM Can't stand it any longer!!!  Josh (The Big Boss) are you doing ok?  I am only 3 hrs from Boston--is it time to check up on you?  Or I could send my "Darling Daughter" who lives in Back Bay to check up on you.  Getting some worry time here--not hearing much from you--or perhaps it's time for a hostal take over of the group--did someone say? Coup?  The troops are getting wary--we are all looking for our leader!! At least the ones who are posting!!  You always said I am the mouth piece of the group-must come with age.  Am starting to realize as you get older, you get smarter, more set in your ways or just don't give a crap what anyone else thinks??  Can you tell I had a bad day yet?  Thank God for work outs-gets you back to earth once again--really Josh, I will make the trip to Boston if needed!  (thanks everyone for listening--off to bed, I have to get up at 4:40 am in order to get a work out in before riding my bike to work for 6am--yes, sometimes shame works!  In case noboday has noticed, it's time to get our collective butts in gear--the season is approaching rather fast!!   Snow on the ground and I've got a race on Sunday--sounds like fun, but only 5 mile run.--soap box is officially put away for the night--good night all!!!  ps--Josh I really hope you are doing well, my main intention is to bring some humor into your life, never intend to offend anyone--this is my disclaimer--once again, I like this group we are the very best.

Thanks for the concern.  I am doing okay.  Did you not see my post on Thursday?  No need to come and down and change the bed pan yet, nor with K.I. have to carry me across the finish line.  I do appreciate the offers though.   I have been doing some intensive research on what could possibly wrong, and I am fairly certain I tore the lower left abdomen muscle.  I will have to go get some imaging done to make sure.  The treatment is either surgery for a full tear or 4-6 weeks of physical therapy for a slight tear.  Either of which is not too exiting.  I am going to make the appt on Monday. If this is the case I will have to totally revamp my training through Nov.

And Alana, do the race.  You can do it.  Trust me you feel worse if you don't do it, than you will if you walk a bit for run.

2010-03-27 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2752149

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
KidIcarus - 2010-03-27 10:11 AM
so i wore tri shorts on a run for the first time ever this week.  maybe y'all already know whats coming:

let me preface this post by saying i'm fairly conservative when it comes to how i dress.  thats not to say i wear polos and loafers, i just mean that i dont dress to draw attention to myself.  ive also NEVER worn anything remotely tight on my body before, nevermind so tight you have to wiggle to get into it... =P

i hope that its just an odd sensation for everyone at first and that eventually you embrace your inner spandex wearer.  maybe its moreso for the boys, but atm i can't imagine sporting a pair of those for 17 hours straight while exercising rigorously.  my run was only 30minutes long too.  i'll have to report back after im out there for longer.

and on a side note, im really not looking forward to my workouts stretching out long enough where i have to start considering 'buttering up' or whatever everyone calls it.  i came willingly into this sport right? ha.  how long of a bike ride or run does everyone feel that lubrication is required?

sorry if this post is file under 'too much information', but as a beginner, who else have i got to ask?  haha
Never use the stuff--like it rough Haha
2010-03-27 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2752181

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
thanks for the offer but I don't do bed pans--you"ll be on your own with that one.  Good luck on getting to see a Doc!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36