General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Help Building Up my Road Frame & Fork Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-22 7:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: Need Help Building Up my Road Frame & Fork
Hi all.  I'm building up my "new to me" frame a fork - a 2007 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (Gerolsteiner colors - beautiful!!).  I'm running into some problems in my build, and I'm hoping y'all can help me out.  Here are a couple questions that I need some help with.

1) My fork is completely hollow.  Normally, on my tri bike and other bikes, taking off the headset cap allows me to see a small apparatus inside the top of the fork post that the headset cap screw locks in to.  On this bike, the fork post has nothing inside.  What do I put inside the fork post for the headset cap screw to lock on to?  What's the piece called, and where can I buy it?

2) I'm parting out some other bikes and am importing an FSA carbon crank.  It's a Superlight Octolink crankset (year unknown) with a 53/39 setup that I would really like to keep, but the axle is too large/wide.  The current axle is a hollow axle (which I'd like to stay with, as it's a touch lighter) and has splines (8?) that the crank arms lock on to.  The axle is a bit too wide for my bottom bracket and won't let my front derailleur line up properly.  To make it work, I need an axle that will work with the crank but is 68mm.  Where do I find the proper size axle that will work with this specific crank?  Does it have to come straight from FSA?

3) Last year, I bought a nice torque wrench from PBK.  It came with some pretty standard size attachments, and I'm excited to use it.  But I have no idea what I'm doing.  The gauge on the side of the tool shows numbers - 3, 5, 7, 9, etc. - and the dial on the bottom moves in increments of 0.4 - 0.4, 0.8, 1.2, 1.6, 2 (which lands you on the next number on the gauge).  How do these numbers correlate with the torque settings for my bike.  For example, the front derailleur setting is recommended to be 44 in-lbf (5.0 N-m).  How do I set that on my torque wrench?  Do I turn the dial so that the gauge shows 5?  Any other ideas on how to use my wrench?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, and I'll post them as I come up with them.  Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!!

-Joel

2009-12-22 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2574307

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: Need Help Building Up my Road Frame & Fork
TXGreyhoundGuy - 2009-12-22 7:14 PM Hi all.  I'm building up my "new to me" frame a fork - a 2007 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (Gerolsteiner colors - beautiful!!).  I'm running into some problems in my build, and I'm hoping y'all can help me out.  Here are a couple questions that I need some help with.

1) My fork is completely hollow.  Normally, on my tri bike and other bikes, taking off the headset cap allows me to see a small apparatus inside the top of the fork post that the headset cap screw locks in to.  On this bike, the fork post has nothing inside.  What do I put inside the fork post for the headset cap screw to lock on to?  What's the piece called, and where can I buy it?

Answer: It is called a "star fangled nut" and you should be able to buy one from your LBS.  There is a tool to install it or just have the LBS do it when you buy it.

2) I'm parting out some other bikes and am importing an FSA carbon crank.  It's a Superlight Octolink crankset (year unknown) with a 53/39 setup that I would really like to keep, but the axle is too large/wide.  The current axle is a hollow axle (which I'd like to stay with, as it's a touch lighter) and has splines (8?) that the crank arms lock on to.  The axle is a bit too wide for my bottom bracket and won't let my front derailleur line up properly.  To make it work, I need an axle that will work with the crank but is 68mm.  Where do I find the proper size axle that will work with this specific crank?  Does it have to come straight from FSA?

My Ultegra is 68mm according to the spec and uses a BB6700 bottom bracket.  There are all kinds of Octolink 68mm bb's on ebay that should work with your crankset.

3) Last year, I bought a nice torque wrench from PBK.  It came with some pretty standard size attachments, and I'm excited to use it.  But I have no idea what I'm doing.  The gauge on the side of the tool shows numbers - 3, 5, 7, 9, etc. - and the dial on the bottom moves in increments of 0.4 - 0.4, 0.8, 1.2, 1.6, 2 (which lands you on the next number on the gauge).  How do these numbers correlate with the torque settings for my bike.  For example, the front derailleur setting is recommended to be 44 in-lbf (5.0 N-m).  How do I set that on my torque wrench?  Do I turn the dial so that the gauge shows 5?  Any other ideas on how to use my wrench?

Torque wrench will give you both in-lbs and Newton-meters.  Pick either one you  have a spec for and twist the handle until the mark lines up with the proper setting.  The .4, .8, etc are for fractions of a torque setting.  If your range is say 4.0-5.0, you could be anal and set it at 4.5!Smile  That's what I do.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, and I'll post them as I come up with them.  Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!!

-Joel

I built a Tarmac S-Works a couple years ago, so ask away, I will try to help.  You should check out Parktools though.  They have good tutorials on various subjects related to building up a bike.Model No. / Model Name BB-8000 / MegaExo Bottom Bracket for carbon road cranks BB Shell 68mm English (BC1.37&rdquo or 70mm Italian (M36)

Edited by Gregkl 2009-12-22 8:20 PM
2009-12-22 8:40 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
If the forks steerinig tube is ALL CARBON, then you need a compression plug.  If its got an alloy tube the star nut will work.

The website are just for just examples.
2009-12-22 9:25 PM
in reply to: #2574411

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
BamaDC - 2009-12-22 8:40 PM If the forks steerinig tube is ALL CARBON, then you need a compression plug.  If its got an alloy tube the star nut will work.

The website are just for just examples.

Thanks for the catch BamaDC!  Wisdom comes with much console. 

TX,  if you go to a LBS for the part, hopefully they will sell you the correct one.

BTW, BAMA congrats on your IM finish!  Nice job!

Edited by Gregkl 2009-12-22 9:31 PM
2009-12-22 9:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Thanks, guys!  I'll measure out my tube and probably order the compression plug tomorrow.

I'll post more questions as I think of them.

-Joel
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need Help Building Up my Road Frame & Fork Rss Feed