General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training and traveling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-12-31 8:09 PM

User image

Subject: Training and traveling
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone of you travel extensively for your job and how you train while living on the road.

I travel every week for my job - out on Sunday nights and in on Thursday evenings. The good part about it is I fly to the same city every week (Houston, TX) but my contracts usually last about 6-8 months and then I move on to a different client and city. Sometimes I stay at hotels with their own gyms but I have yet to find one with a pool big enough for lap swims.

I've never joined a gym before in my life, but it almost seems like I will have to sign up with one to get my swim/bike/run in. Does anyone have any suggestions to a preferred gym? Hopefully one that doesn't have a yearly membership, or one that has gyms nationwide, but most important of all has a pool for lap swim.

If you travel extensively like I do, I would like to hear how you train and maybe you can share your training plans with me. It will be much appreciated!

Happy New Year everyone, may the new year brings you blessings and happiness.

- j

2010-01-01 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2587221

New user

Subject: RE: Training and traveling
A few years ago I was traveling quite a bit to Boise, Id.  Not to the extent you are, but I think it would be easier for you really.  I joined a local gym to swim, running obviously is not a problem.  The issue I had a cycling.  I hate riding spinning/exercise bikes at a gym (I am a cyclist by background and a bike is a bike for me).  It is a little bit of an expense but I took an extra bike with me to Boise and had my hotel store it for me.  There were happy to do it since I was there weekly and I always stayed at the same hotel.   Not sure what your luck has been, but I would even think you could find a personal storage unit near by to store a bike in.  All of that being said doesn't matter if you don't have an extra bike.  If you don't, the easiest route to go is a gym.  Depending on where you are going in the future, pick a national chain like 24 hour fitness or something alond those lines so there is a strong likliehood it will be at your next city.
2010-01-01 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2587221

User image

Expert
Arizona
Subject: RE: Training and traveling
When I've considered swimming when I have to travel I was going to
get one of the swim bands. Then, as long as they have a pool, you
can swim. Otherwise I think a gym is your only option.

Good luck. Business travel sucks. But, if you can get into a routine
you've got a shot. For me it's having a routine that is key.

-Jot
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training and traveling Rss Feed