General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim/Bike layoff Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-06 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Subject: Swim/Bike layoff
There are bikes in the dining room collecting dust.  There are goggles hanging from the side of the trainer.  I thought I would take a few months off from S-B post IM to focus on run endurance...but now I am wondering if I am hurting myself.

Next IM is in Nov...idea was to go S-B focus in march (post Marathon) and maintain run endurance.

What is the minimum acceptable amount of S and B per week to maintain some sort of specific skills and fitness?

2010-01-06 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2597669

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
Subject: RE: Swim/Bike layoff
What's your background?  Were you a high school/collegiate swimmer or a Cat 3 or better roadie?  Maybe not so much a problem taking a long break from S & B.  Unfortuatenly for me, I always feel the need to constantly maintain my form in the pool and some strength and conditioning on the bike.  Like you this winter, I've also focussed on the run, but I am still in the pool twice a week with masters and on the trainer twice a week in addition to marathon training (February race). 

I should add something specific to your question about minimums.  I've read somewhere that it takes about three months for well-conditioned athletes to lose half of their aerobic conditioning.  However, you are still running so that doesn't apply to you so much.  The question then is, how much of your run conditioning will cross-over to the swim and bike?  I don't know so I always do something in all three disciplines. 

Edited by Gritty 2010-01-06 2:08 PM
2010-01-06 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2598303

User image

Master
Gritty - 2010-01-06 11:59 AM What's your background?  Were you a high school/collegiate swimmer or a Cat 3 or better roadie?  Maybe not so much a problem taking a long break from S & B.  Unfortuatenly for me, I always feel the need to constantly maintain my form in the pool and some strength and conditioning on the bike.  Like you this winter, I've also focussed on the run, but I am still in the pool twice a week with masters and on the trainer twice a week in addition to marathon training (February race). 

I should add something specific to your question about minimums.  I've read somewhere that it takes about three months for well-conditioned athletes to lose half of their aerobic conditioning.  However, you are still running so that doesn't apply to you so much.  The question then is, how much of your run conditioning will cross-over to the swim and bike?  I don't know so I always do something in all three disciplines. 

That is a great question.  Perhaps I will do a TT on my normal TT course and see how much is gone.  I can do the same thing in the pool.
2010-01-06 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2598340

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
The TT is a good idea and you've probably recorded your swim time for something like a 1650 yard or 1500 meter swim.  I just suggest the long swim distance because it would seem to be a good measure of your swim conditioning at this point.
2010-01-06 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2597669

Veteran
The swim is the easiest of the three sports to regain fitness since it is low impact. The run is the hardest to regain. However, the main factor in all this is age. The older you get the harder it becomes to regain that fitness. Believe me, I know. :-)
2010-01-08 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2598340

User image

Regular
Why would you do a TT after a lay off. Your asking for injuries and will learn nothing from it other than what not to do after a break. Just start slowly building back up. Both will come back with consistant weeks.

Really a TT??? (In response to the poster after you)

Dude hop in the water for about 1500-2k of mixed bag stuff.
(Again 1500 straight in the water is pointless- esp right now)
200 Swim
2*100 Kick :15 Rest
6*50 D/S @1:00-1:15

4*100 SKDS :10-:15 R/ or swim even skds odds. whichever you prefer
200-300 Kick with fins for ankle flexibility.

4*50 cd

And thats a wrap, and a starting point for your swimming.

Edited by KeepOnTriN 2010-01-08 8:27 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim/Bike layoff Rss Feed