General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike shops capital district Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-13 2:18 PM

New user

Albany
Subject: Tri bike shops capital district
I have been looking around at bike shops all over the Albany area and everywhere I go and ask anything about Tri stuff the answer I usually get is.....we don't really do that, and we don't know who does?

So is there any shops anywhere in the area?  Even as much at 30-40 minutes outside of Albany?  Where can someone go to talk with a shop that knows how to work with someone new to Triathlons? 

2010-01-13 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2612207

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Tri bike shops capital district
Have you tried Elevate Cycles? They have shops in Saratoga and Clifton Park. They sponsor an area club, so they might have some knowledge about tri gear.
2010-01-14 6:52 AM
in reply to: #2612743

New user

Albany
slow turtle - 2010-01-13 8:26 PM Have you tried Elevate Cycles? They have shops in Saratoga and Clifton Park. They sponsor an area club, so they might have some knowledge about tri gear.

I will have to try them out, being down in Albany I don't have a great sense of what is further North so I will look into that.

Anyone else got any recommendations?  Who do the Capital District Tri people use for their LBS? 
2010-01-14 12:05 PM

There really is no tri shop in the area.  Fleet Feet (off Wolf Road) carries some tri gear now too.  Most of the running shops focus on runners and bike shops concentrate on cycling so can't answer tri specific questions.  You can PM me with questions.  I am sponsored for the season by TriSports.com.  They have great products at good prices.  You (or anyone else on this list) can use the discount code KHIS-S for 10% off.

2010-01-14 1:57 PM

New user

Albany
The closest Tri specific shop I can find is down in New Paltz, and I have seen a handful of shops that say they support Tri bikes but are still very much a bike shop.  I will definitely check out fleet feet though, at least that's something.

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on an order from Trisports, I got a gift cert burning a hole in my pocket I just gotta make sure I am getting what I need. 
2010-01-15 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
FYI-
Fleet Feet Albany is terrific! They seem to really know running gear, and they do carry tri gear. Last season they had wetsuits, and  tri clothes. They also have some swim stuff.
But, If you are looking for bike stuff, they don't have anything.

2010-01-15 12:43 PM

User image

Regular
Albany, NY

I'm glad you guys mentioned Fleet Feet, because I just starting the tri training so the last time I was there I wasn't looking for anything other than running gear.  I'll have to check them out again this weekend as I have a $25 credit! 

2010-01-17 2:50 PM

User image

Veteran
East Greenbush
Some got a nice Look Tri bike in Stieners???  I think that is what it was called.....In Saratoga I believe.  If you are going to go to New Paltz might want to consider Placid Planet in Lake Placid.  I have never been there but I have heard nothing but good things about them.
2010-01-18 10:04 AM

New user

Albany
I stopped by Fleet Feet, they had pretty much all running stuff, must be just time of year, as spring comes around they may have more Tri stuff.  They carry a pretty good collection of sports nutrition on the shelf though, so that was good I could get some stuff there if I need it in a hurry.  

I was thinking Lake Placid also but at 2.5 hours it's twice the distance as New Paltz is from Albany.  But I am sure the shops up there must be great.   
2010-01-18 10:23 AM

User image

Regular
Albany, NY
Yeah, I made it to Fleet Feet yesterday and asked about the Tri gear - was told that they will get Tri specific merchandise as the season approaches.
2010-02-03 11:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area

Blue Sky bikes (www.blueskybicycles.com) in Saratoga is an excellent shop for tri bike and related gear/info (I live 30min away and it's my shop of choice). They're also a highly recommended bike fitter for this area. Capital District Tri Club (www.cdtriclub.org) members might be able to provide you with a more Albany based bike shop possibly?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike shops capital district Rss Feed