It's not about the bike
We might as well win

2010-01-22 12:28 AM
in reply to: #2628149

User image

Extreme Veteran
Huntington Beach, CA
Subject: RE: I Need more audio books
Depends on your area of interest, but I see you listed "Into Thin Air".  Jon Krakaur's newest book "Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman" was a good listen.
2010-01-22 1:01 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Search in Cup of Joe (forum waaaaay down there towards the bottom of the page) and you'll see lots of suggestions in lots of different areas of interest.

I listen to a HUGE variety, everything from Young Adult (I enjoyed the City of Ember series) to forensic fiction (mostly Kathy Reichs, originator of the series Bones), to non-fiction (just finished Freakonomics and Superfreakonomics).

Question: do you live in Vermont? If so, you can get free downloads. PM me and I'll tell you how. If not, do you live in NH? You might be able to get free downloads, depending on where you live. If not, check with your state library system to see if they have a similar service available.

Your local public library is a fantastic source for audiobooks. You can generally get them in either cd or tape form (my car has both, so I don't care). They are free, and I find the shelves to be much easier to browse than online.

iTunes also has a HUGE selection of free material. I listen to all the cool NPR shows (Car Talk, Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me, Science Friday, Living on Earth, etc.). They have a whole iUniversity or something with whole classes or just talks about interesting things. You can, of course, also pay to get more.

Another free resource for classics is the Gutenberg Project and Librivox. I just finished Wizard of Oz in prep for Wicked and Son of a Witch, which I got from my library. There's also Podiobooks.com. The quality isn't as good as paid sources, so choose carefully.

Finally, if you desperately want to pay for them, check out audible.com. Just plug in whatever you've already read and enjoyed, then start following "if you liked this" links. You can also do that at BN.com or Amazon.com for ideas.

2010-01-22 6:24 AM

Regular
chicagoland, northwest indiana
dean karnazes, ultra marathon man.  50 marathons in 50 days, and the Dara Torres book, olympic swimmer... i forgot the name.  Thanks for the post because i'm also looking for some audio books.
2010-01-22 9:08 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

I check the National chain stores regularly.  Most will have a table or display with discounted audiobooks.  I dont listen to them when I train but I travel in the car a good bit and use them all the time.  Often you can get them for $5-10 on the discount table.  Sometimes you see these Book Clearance groups that come in and rent a vacant store (Ciruit City, etc...) and sell clearance books and often audio books-you can get them for around $5 each there.  Our local library does not have much so I tend to buy. 

We must have 50-60 right now that both my wife and I have listened to.  Fortunately, I have a buddy that travels a good bit and we swap out stacks periodically.  May seem to be expensive to buy them but most last around 6 hours. Makes the time pass much quicker in the car.

We have started puttingour initials on the box after we listen as more than once I've grabbed on and thought it would be good only to find realize about 5 minutes in that I have listened to it before.  DUH!

2010-01-23 6:00 PM

User image

Regular
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Thanks for all the suggestions,

I just downloaded "Talent is overrated"

2010-01-23 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Cabot, Arkansas
Not sure if you are just into motivational stuff or not, but the Stephen King Gunslinger/Dark Tower Series is great...might make you not wanna get off the bike.  I used it for my drive from Alaska to Ark...
2010-01-23 10:13 PM

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
I have been a member of audible.com for three-plus years.  $21 a month gets me two audiobooks which I then own.  Really enjoy it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I Need more audio books Rss Feed