General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Official New Early Season Half Iron in Ohio Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-22 6:09 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: Official New Early Season Half Iron in Ohio
I just got an e-mail from HFP. I'll let them speak for themselves.

OUR CUSTOMERS HAVE SPOKEN and we're listening.  Nearly every day our customer service staff report requests from athletes that want to race in the last day of the American Triple-T.  We decided a few years ago due to the growth in the American Triple-T Ohio to no longer offer this option. The requests vary from athletes wanting to race the final day as a bit of test to see if the following year they can take on the entire Triple-T or even from many current participants that are concerned that an injury may keep them from getting in good enough shape to finish the entire Triple-T or even folks that were DNF's in past Triple-T events but absolutely love the half iron course and want to give it another shot.  So, we looked at the numbers and found that each year nearly 5% of the American Triple-T participants are no shows and another 5-8% transfered in the last month. We now know that  we can safely bring back the Little Smokies Half Iron to the American Triple-T Ohio and we have also created the same option for the American Triple-T North Carolina event - The White Lake Fall Challenge.

Ours would be the Little Smokies Half. For me, this is awesome. My dream was to be able to do a half iron early on in the season, but there were none close enough.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this along.

2010-01-22 6:28 PM
in reply to: #2629834

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Official New Early Season Half Iron in Ohio
anyone interested in this race, its probably one of the most scenic and beautiful half IM courses you will ever see. the bike course is simply stunning.
2010-01-22 7:51 PM
in reply to: #2629853

User image

Regular
I'm considering it,  it's on my 28th birthday too! 

I'm probably going to be working in St. Louis at that time, but if not I'll probably give it a shot.

I received the e mail as well and it mentioned that there will only be room for 100 athletes.

There's a good question for you newbz - I plan on doing a HIM at the Toyota Challenge in the fall. Since I've never done a HIM, would you recommend doing one on May 23 then another in September? Or no?

I currently have shin splints and am a bit apprehensive about increasing my run too quickly also. That's the only reason I mentioned "I'm considering" the May HIM. I don't want to push myself and never get rid of the shin splints. I've already been running through them for a while now, and I'm getting sick of it.

Dave
2010-01-22 8:24 PM
in reply to: #2629915

User image

Champion
two ways i would think of this.

if you are a confident person, i would say no, wait, do the training, and race toyota. its more than enough time to plan the race and do the training. i did my first off of 4 months training and my 3rd tri. it was hard, i walked a part of the run, but i lived through it and learned a lot.

if you dont trust yourself, you may want to race before that.

on a side note, if anyone is looking for an early-ish season race, i will be racing rockman HIM in IL on the 1st or 2nd weekend of june, and will be coming through ohio and will drive up with anyone that wants a ride.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Official New Early Season Half Iron in Ohio Rss Feed