General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2010 Long Bay Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-24 6:55 AM

User image

Simpsonville, SC
Subject: 2010 Long Bay Triathlon
Hey, has anyone heard anything about this tri?  I am considering not doing the SC Half and doing this one instead.

Long Bay Triathlon

2010-01-24 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2631307

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: 2010 Long Bay Triathlon
unixtool - 2010-01-24 7:55 AM Hey, has anyone heard anything about this tri?  I am considering not doing the SC Half and doing this one instead.

Long Bay Triathlon

Last year they put up a web site with precious little info and some worrying signs, such as the fact that the State Park where it is happening was going to charge athletes admission into the park (which suggests to me that the State Park wasn't exactly working hand in glove with the RD).  To my knowledge, the race never happened, but rather than an explanation on the web site, they just put up a new date for 2010.  Initially they called the 2010 race the '1st annual', but now they're calling it the '2nd annual'.  I could be wrong, but I don't think the race happened in 2009.  There certainly aren't any results posted that I can find. Someone correct me if you know that the race did indeed occur.  Their web site remains pretty uninspiring.  Out of curiosity, I clicked the 'Registration' link and then attempted to click through to the service that they are apparently using to handle registrations ("Athlete in You Events") and got 'Internal Server Error'.  I went to the home page (www.aiyevents.com).  Again, pretty uninspiring stuff.

And the date -- well, not the best choice.  They are competing with Augusta 70.3 and the Myrtle Beach Half, and to a lesser extent with the SC Half, all run by known entities with a track record of running good races, glossy advertisements in mags, etc.  (Last year, Long Bay Tri advertised by posting on Craig's List.  Not quite the same...)

I'd love for SC to be able to support that many races, but frankly I don't hold out much hope for it, and if one of them is going down, it's going to be this one.

Edited by Experior 2010-01-24 11:17 AM
2010-01-24 12:33 PM

User image

Master
^^^^^^

I thought the same thing. I really would like to see the results from last year posted somewhere partly just to see who attended. If the race got canceled, which is what I understand happened, it shouldn't count as the 1st. 
2010-02-14 10:33 AM

User image

Simpsonville, SC
Thanks. I have since found the Myrtle Beach Triathlon, and I am planning on doing that one.  This sites race did leave alot to be desired which is why I was wondering if anyone else had an idea.
2010-08-13 4:05 PM

Hey saw your post about the Long Bay Triathlon.  I just wanted to clear some things up.  I have been working on the race for the last five years.  Unfortunately, the other races in the region got out of the gate before me.  To be honest, I can’t compete with Ironman and Ultramaxx when it comes to advertising.  They both put on a great race. Heck, I would rather race at an Ironman then any other race out there.  The one thing I wouldn’t want to do is be a first timer racing a mass start with 3000 other people.  I am not going after the pros, elites, or even the top age groupers.  If they show up that’s great, maybe I can get them to do a clinic.  So I am really not trying to compete with Ironman and Ultramaxx.  I just want to put on the best possible race I can. I want it to be safe and fun.   

I did use craigslist to advertise for volunteers but I don’t recall placing an ad for competitors. Volunteers can be hard to find so you’ve got to get the word out anyway you can.   This year I advertised in Triathlete and Blue Ridge Outdoors in addition to several other marketing strategies.

The 2009 race was cancelled.  The registered athletes didn’t want to race if there was only going to be a few competitors. I can understand that.  I refunded their full entry fee and offered them a free spot in a future LBT.  This year if one person shows up, one person shows up and the race will go on.  So results will be posted.  As for the 1st or 2nd, I just changed it to the 2010 LBT.

As it says on the web-site, Huntington Beach State Park will not be charging LBT competitors any additional fees to enter the park. Only non-competitors will be charged an entry fee.  Additionally, if your friends or family members volunteer they will not be charged an entree fee.   Huntington Beach State Park is working with us but they survive by the funds they generate.  I am happy that they have agreed to allow me to have the race there. 

As for the longbaytri.com, I am very interested in anyone’s ideas to make the site more desirable.

I hope this cleared up some of your concerns. You can email me at [email protected] or call me at 843-222-4874 if you have any other questions.

Rob Grimes, LBT Race Director

2010-08-13 5:08 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Rob

Good to see your post here.  Thanks for the honesty.

I will look at doing your race in 2011 as I am trying to support the races close to home.

Kevin

2010-08-13 8:35 PM

User image

Simpsonville, SC
Rob, thank you for clearing things up. I also appreciate your honesty.
2010-08-15 9:01 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Glad to see that you are moving forward with this.  I wish I could do the race -- the venue looks nice.  Maybe next year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2010 Long Bay Triathlon Rss Feed