General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Intro swimmer help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-02-15 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2671219

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Intro swimmer help

As a former competitve and collegiate swimmer, you need to focus on two main things.  Swimmers never swim flat.  There is a constant rotation from side to side and kicking is vital.  The kick comes from your core as well as your legs.  Advantage of the pull bouy is that you are just focusing on your arms and this keeps you afloat.  Disadvantage is that you are not learning how to motion w/ you kick side to side.  You are losing your breath b/c you are kicking incorrectly and "fighting" the water.  I definitely suggest finding either a coach or when you go to lap swim ask a person who is a former competitive swimmer.  I've helped countless individuals when I go lap swim. 

See if you can do this:  No kickboard.  Kick on one side w/ arm extended.  Then rotate to the other side and kick.  When you rotate, pull your arm as if you were swimming.  I would kick 10 times on each side.  Do this drill all the time.  The more comfortable you get your body to rotate the better off you will be.

Note:  Men struggle w/ the kick more than women.  Concentrate on getting your hips up. 

Good luck!

2010-02-15 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2672085

Above all else, learn to breathe. I know it sounds simple but most beginners are out of breath because they don't fully exhale before inhaling, causing you to almost hyperventilate.

try this, get a kickboard and stretch it out over your head, so that you can put your head in the water, begin kicking, put your head in the water and breath out. When you are ready to take a breath, pick your head up and breath, then repeat until you've done two laps or more.

Then lose the kickboard, push off the wall and start swimming slowly. Breathe out underwater and regardless of how many strokes you take, breathe when you need air, could be 2, could be 10, depending on how fast you are moving your arms. Once you figure out how to slowly breathe out and take a breath when you need one, then you can work on getting faster which is a mix of good technique and strength.

Good luck!

2010-02-15 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2672085

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson
BrandonCohen - 2010-02-14 7:15 AM Thanks to everyone who's posted, including my pushy roommates.  I'll take all of your tips to the water with me, and will continue to work on my form and will include endurance workouts into the mix.  I'm new to swimming, not training in general...so I'm not just jumping into the pool with no idea what on how I'm going to progress.  Pauliewalnuts did compare swimming to golf (which i'll probably never play again because i'll be training): there are so many pieces that have to be put together properly before you have a nice stroke.  So it's a lot to think about. 

A public message to my roommates:
Jay - since you're a master workout planner...can you develop a swim program for me to work on endurance?
Paulie - thanks for chastising me on a public forum instead of screaming at me while i sat on the couch...crying into my pint of ice cream.

This must be some sort of commentary on Generation X.  You guys all live in the same house, have your bikes set up for training 24" from one another, but you have to communicate over an internet chat room.  When you see each other in the hall, do you speak? or do you just see another avatar approaching?

Sounds like a dysfunctional family or something... ;-0

LOL,
Greg
2010-02-15 3:41 PM

User image

Dallas, Texas
www.swimplan.com

Free site that formats programs based on your 1000M time trial updates. Do it.

And I agree with someone on here who said don't speed through all your 25's. There is a difference between working on speed and working on endurance. Seriously check out the website.

And I also agree with your roommate who said you can't swim 25 and rest at the end of the pool for 5 minutes. haha. You'll get there, it’s all about persistence.
2010-02-15 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2674036

User image

Long Beach

trinewby - 2010-02-15 3:20 PM
BrandonCohen - 2010-02-14 7:15 AM Thanks to everyone who's posted, including my pushy roommates.  I'll take all of your tips to the water with me, and will continue to work on my form and will include endurance workouts into the mix.  I'm new to swimming, not training in general...so I'm not just jumping into the pool with no idea what on how I'm going to progress.  Pauliewalnuts did compare swimming to golf (which i'll probably never play again because i'll be training): there are so many pieces that have to be put together properly before you have a nice stroke.  So it's a lot to think about. 

A public message to my roommates:
Jay - since you're a master workout planner...can you develop a swim program for me to work on endurance?
Paulie - thanks for chastising me on a public forum instead of screaming at me while i sat on the couch...crying into my pint of ice cream.

This must be some sort of commentary on Generation X.  You guys all live in the same house, have your bikes set up for training 24" from one another, but you have to communicate over an internet chat room.  When you see each other in the hall, do you speak? or do you just see another avatar approaching?

Sounds like a dysfunctional family or something... ;-0

LOL,
Greg

So dysfunctional

2010-02-15 8:58 PM

User image

Veteran
San Francisco
Just to give you hope... Two months ago I hated the pool and thought I'd never be able to swim 50 yards without stopping. Well, yesterday and today, I felt I could have gone on forever. It does happen with time! My three one to one lessons from a coach, and continual practice are keeping me going and improving. You can do this too!

2010-02-16 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2674551

User image

Regular
New York
Thanks for the motivation and encouragement.  I did 4x 50 with a 20 second break on Saturday so that was a big step for me.

I had some other questions I wanted to throw out there:

I've been doing a lot of swimming with a pull buoy, and first thought was that I was doing myself a huge disservice.  Than I thought that my eventual wetsuit will probably give the same amount of boyancy when in the water.  What does everybody think about this?  I suppose that I'll be that much better with the wetsuit when I've been training without...but will it hinder my progression a ton?

Also, as a beginner, is a full suit or sleeveless reccommended?  I would think I'd feel constricted with the full.  I have a full for surfing, but can't picture doing a ton of swimming with full sleeves.  Thoughts are much appreciated.
2010-02-16 5:21 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Maybe the more experienced can comment on this but here's my $0.02 worth on something I've been doing lately (I'm currently at a decision point in terms of which club to join for masters swimming).

My brother told me my form is "off" in terms of my left arm was extending out and not entering the water like my right arm.  Anyhow what I did was use a pull bouy and slow way down.  I then started the "drag the fingertips" drill.  When bringing my arms back to the front I would keep my hands close to my body, trying to drag my fingertips along the water surface.  Using the pull bouy allowed me to focus on my form etc.

Now when I swim w/o the buoy it seems like I'm using less effort for the same distance.

From what I've experienced in the last few weeks and what I've read, slowing it down really helps form development.  I think the pull buoy is a great tool because you can drill w/o getting too tired, have your feet drag etc.  I’ll bet there's some great videos on line showing good form etc. but x2 on masters swim programs if it's in the budget.

2010-02-16 7:00 PM

User image

New Haven, CT
the total immersion DVD and book really helped me.
2010-02-16 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2676187

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
reecealan - 2010-02-16 6:21 PMMy brother told me my form is "off" in terms of my left arm was extending out and not entering the water like my right arm.  Anyhow what I did was use a pull bouy and slow way down.  I then started the "drag the fingertips" drill.  When bringing my arms back to the front I would keep my hands close to my body, trying to drag my fingertips along the water surface.  Using the pull bouy allowed me to focus on my form etc.

Now when I swim w/o the buoy it seems like I'm using less effort for the same distance.

From what I've experienced in the last few weeks and what I've read, slowing it down really helps form development. 

That method is inspiring and very effective practice. It emphasizes Grace. If you can sustain Grace in your stroke as well as breathing, swimming can be practically effortless.

Read the resources, but in a nut shell:

Focus on a steady exhale out the nose and mouth before each breath. I like to hum or something - sort jam while I am swimming. Having the proper head position will help your buoyancy. Might help you ditch the thingamajig.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Intro swimmer help Rss Feed  

of 2