United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 41m 38s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up feeling pretty good considering I ran a 1/2 marathon the previous day. Legs were good, but I was nervous. I usually don't get too nervous before races but I think the magnitude of it all hit me Sunday morning. I tried to eat a bagel with PB but it wasn't going down real easy.
Event warmup:

Got to the oval and started to be less nervous. Plenty of well-wishers, encouragement and friends. Got my bag and food set up and ran a lap. Wow, my legs felt GOOD.
Run
  • 5h 41m 38s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

The first hour and 1/2 were very good. Legs felt good and the ladies in the cheering section were priceless. First they were holding a McDonalds biscuit out to me, then a few laps later...donuts. That was followed by the wave, shaking their moneymakers, "flashing" me, breakdancing...pretty much everything they could think of. Stacy, Nicole, Lisa, Kim...words can't express the extent of my gratitude.

The race was going pretty well until lap 45. BLISTER on my big toe. I never get blisters so it threw me for a loop a little bit. I stopped to apply Body Glide. That worked for about three laps. The thought of running 50 laps with this blister was not pleasant. I stopped again, and this time spotted band-aids on the water table. I put it on and the blister was not an issue for the rest of the race!

Laps 60-80 were a real struggle mentally. It seemed like forever to get through ten lap segments. I saw Dave starting to struggle a bit with an injury and that affected me too. Around the 18 mile mark, I started to have a hard time with nutrition. I had packed gels, shot blocks, PB & J sandwich cut into small bites, and fig newtons. At mile 20, NONE of it looked good. Lisa (lrunfit) was working the water station at this time with Kimk. They were so helpful. Lisa told me to take a gel with me and just sip a little every so often. Fortunately, this worked. At least enough to get me revitalized a bit. I was drinking the right amount all day, but the food aspect was difficult.

At about lap 80, my wife and kids arrived. That was a boost that was much needed. The boys were cheering and it really helped. Lisa and Kim were so supportive at the water station that the laps were going by faster now, even though I wasn't running any faster. After Dave finished, he came out and joined me for a lap when I had about 9 left. His words of encouragement were great! As I plodded toward the finish, the cheering was just carrying me. When the announcer proclaimed, "Pete Anderson, you are on your last lap", I started to get choked up. The enormity of my accomplishment hit me and I knew I would be crying at the finish as I hugged my family. I did cry for just a minute, but those tears of joy turned to laughter and appreciation for those that stuck around long enough to see me finish. I proudly walked around with my medals as I tried to thank each and every person.

Here is where I thank Dave in particular. The help he gave me at practice sessions at the Pettit were invaluable. His tips on head position, push off of my feet, strides...just advice that proved to be so helpful in me reaching my goal. Cheering his fool head off at the end, the compliments paid to me in his race report...just a great friend and outstanding Donkey.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Honestly, I still don't know why I signed up for these two races. Since I started running and triathlons in 2005, I've been taking on challenges. I am by no means the fastest runner, but I like it a lot, I like running at the Pettit, and I like surprising my wife. This was something that I wanted to do to test my mental toughness more than my running fitness. Mental toughness is what I struggle with the most in my races. I hope that by completing the Gold Medal challenge, I've cleared a hurdle in the mental toughness area.
Post race
Warm down:

Took pictures, thanked EVERYONE that was within earshot, drank my chocolate milk and Recoverite and took some deep breaths to take it all in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

20 pounds I suppose.

Event comments:

Again, the volunteers at this race are simply the best ever. This race is very well-run and very fun. The event continues to grow and I hear that big things are planned for next year. I will run one of the races next year, but not so sure that I will try both again.

Now, about that tattoo............

Last updated: 2009-11-06 12:00 AM
Running
05:41:38 | 26.2 miles | 13m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: 97 laps of the magnificent oval.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-02-13 8:23 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
Subject: InStep IceBreaker Indoor Marathon

2010-02-15 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2671834

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
Subject: RE: InStep IceBreaker Indoor Marathon
i still think you are crazy...!!!  awesome job gutting it out pete...  you showed a lot of mental (and physical) toughness to knock out almost 40 miles in those 2 days...  i can't even imagine that...  way to stick with it and get it done...  truly a 'gold medal' effort...!!!
2010-02-15 12:15 PM
in reply to: #2671834

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: InStep IceBreaker Indoor Marathon

YOU ARE A DONKAI!!!

That's a lotta effin' runnin' in two days, indoors, on a small track, dude!

GREAT JOB!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » InStep IceBreaker Indoor Marathon Rss Feed