NYS Triathlon
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 02m 18s
Overall Rank = 246/342
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 48/52
Pre-race routine:

No routine on this race. Was going back and forth to register at 6:00AM, returned to pick up the family and raced back to the race area. Barely made it in time to get on the shore and start the race. Was a bit stressed already.
Event warmup:

Warm up was hauling the baby and about six bags to the car then to the race.
Swim
  • 26m
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

I could not find my rythm and breathing was poor. I was trying to keep up with the crowd and kept thinking about what others where doing. I was in the first of four waves and kept looking back to see if the other waves would catch up to me. Eventually, the second wave did (who cares if they did). The constant kicking, body checking and slapping didn't help my concentration either. I'll mark this second race ever as a good experience.

On the positive side, I've come out with a lot more experience and lessons learned. My first race was in a pool and now I know what clothes feel like in a washing machine.
What would you do differently?:

I need to learn to relax and keep to my pace in the water despite watching others pass me by.

Train with concentration on any of the other disciplines if I'm injured doing one of the others. In this case swimming and cycling should have benifited when I could not run due to my ankle (tendidnitis), injury.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Don't know what my time is in the transitions but I do know it was much better than last time where I placed dead last with about 2.5 minutes.

I'm thinking of putting a little piece of paper in my shoes (or anywhere else) to keep track of time myself. I'm a bit dissappointed that their timing system (small antenna built inside the # bib) was not able to pick up my times in the swim, transition and bike legs of the race.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 16 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Took 1 bottle with gatorade and 1 with water. Drinking the gatorade first was the best thing I did. I felt my body needing the salty taste of it and felt real good going down.
I need more liquids for hills and high temps. Two bottles where just not enough for me (and to think I almost bought only one bottle, YIKES).
I ran out of liquids almost half way thru the bike course (and that was during the easy part). I could have easily drank more without weighting myself down with liquids. Carrying too much liquids is way better than not enough (you can always pour out whatever you are confident you won't use).
I didn't own a decent bike pump and thought the little portable pump was enough. Bad move. Tire were mushy thought the race and feel that really affected my effort level in the hills (which was most of the race). My tires can handle 120psi and I was riding with 70psi. A few people even tole me I had a flat.

Make sure I learn to work my HR monitor so I can keep track of my times, HR, cadence,etc.
I definately need to work on climbing. I've never done so poorly on any sporting event like this last bike race.
Install additional water bottle holders in the back seat for races on hot days.
Buy a good bike pump and make sure tires are up to 120psi as indicated.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Learn my lesson from last race. I unstrapped the shoes before coming to a stop but almost toppled over trying to pull my feet out while moving. My helmet was unstrapped before reaching T2.

Practice removing feet from shoes while in motion.
Run
  • 28m 46s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I never felt my entire leg cramp up at the same time. Every step was just painful and shocking to my hams, calfs and quads. Had to stop several times to massage them so I could at least walk again, never mind run.

Be prepared to drink more. Keep extra fluids in the transition are (in a back to keep others from taking it too). I really needed to pour some water over my head. I'm sure I was over-heating cause I was feeling a bit on the dizzy side.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and felt much better. I'm seriously considering getting a massage the day of or after a race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A number of things:
1) Poor training
2) Poor hydration
3) Still to heavy
4) Poor diet
5) Stressed before race (picking up family, etc.)

Event comments:

I think I did poorly and could definatly have done much better if I had not slacked off. My right ankle was injured with tendinitis and I used that to slack off on my training and diet.
The race was orgainzed pretty good but the late opening for registration really stressed me out early in the AM. Needed to drive 30min from hotel to register, drive back 30min to get family (that was still not ready-they appologized in all different ways and languages) and drove back another 30min (totally convinced I was going to be too late). Not too stressed I thought but still.

Overall everyone had a great time and happy to report they will come back to watch me race again. They promised they'll learn the route or be ready at 5:00AM so I don't have to come back to get them.

Last updated: 2005-03-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:00 | 880 yards | 02m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/52
Overall: 0/342
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course: Triangle pattern with one buoy marking the return
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:00:00 | 16 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Overall: 0/342
Performance: Bad
Again, I'm dissappointed the timing chip they used on this race was not able to pick up some times, including the bike portion.
Wind: None
Course: The bike route was tough for me. I'm still over 200lbs and not in quite the shape I would've/should've/planned to be in. The first 4 miles are uphill then tapering off to something that resembles flat (pointing up). The next 2 or so miles are a steep and super fun down hill that make you cring when thinking of the possibility of loosing your brakes here. After that, the next 8 miles are a relentless uphill (sometimes so steep, I gave serious thought to stopping or walking), BUT I DIDN'T. After that, the final 2 miles are flat but my legs wear totally spent by then.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:46 | 03 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 278/342
Performance: Bad
Course: Course was not too bad, acutally pretty good but felt tough after all else was done. It starts with an uphill and on to the road. Roads where well marked and watched by volunteers and park staff. Only two water stations which are pretty much enough for a 3 mile course (I think).
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-06-15 10:50 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: NYC Triathlon Series #1

2005-06-15 10:55 AM
in reply to: #175234

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: 20th Annual NYC Triathlon Series #1
Congrats on your finish Eddie! I didn't know you were on BT too! This world can be really small sometimes! What races are you planning next?
2005-06-15 11:06 AM
in reply to: #175244

Master
Brooklyn, NY
HOLY MOLY!! Small world indeed. Nice to hear from you again Jerry! Good thing I don't owe you money, I'd never be able to hide.

I'm doing the Flat as a Pancake next on July 31 then this same Harriman again August 14 and finally Mighty Hamptons in September.

How about you?

I was trying to remember the site you had directed me to but could not remember. shoot me a PM if you want

Eddie

Edited by cobannero 2005-06-15 11:09 AM
2005-06-15 2:55 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Nice race and it looks like you learned a lot...just wait until you do this course in a couple of months!!

Gotta love the hills!
2005-06-15 5:16 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Congratulations on your finish Eddie! Aside from the whole-leg-cramp thing, how's that foot doing? Glad to see that you are still able to race!

-Frank
2005-06-16 9:16 AM
in reply to: #175532

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Frank. The foot is alive and well once again. I've been told to hold back to running no more than 50% of what I normally run if I feel any clue the pains may start again. I'm happy to report that I'm only down to 75% and improving again.
The foot did remakably well during the race (about the only thing that did).
Thanks for asking bud.

You been diving much lately?

2005-06-16 9:18 AM
in reply to: #175449

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Kathy. Yes, I did learn an aweful lot and I'm sure I'll continue to do so with every race. This is only my second but feel that if even you are doing your 200th, there will always be something to learn about racing and about yourself?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NYC Triathlon Series #1 Rss Feed